Friday, September 30, 2011

Whole Wheat Scallion Pancakes


I grew onions in my garden this year.  Well... let me rephrase that.  I tried to grow onions in my garden this year.  They never really "grew".  And then I lost interest, or got busy... or honestly, got fed up with the squirrels terrorizing and feeding off of my garden.  I just don't think I was born with a green thumb whatsoever. 

The only thing I managed to snag from the garden this year, besides an ongoing supply of lettuce, were some early green onions. 

When I buy them from the store, I can never use up the entire bunch.  I'll use a couple for garnish and then forget about the rest of them.  And the same thing was starting to happen with the ones I picked from the garden.  So instead of letting them go to waste, I decided to use a whole bunch in some scallion pancakes.  Something I've always wanted to try to make, but always put on the back burner. 

And I don't know why, because they're so easy and they make a great little snack when paired with a spicy soy sauce!

Ingredients:
Adapted from Kirbie's Craving's Recipe


3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups boiling water
olive oil, for brushing
sesame oil, for brushing
salt, to taste
about 8-12 scallions, chopped

In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat and all purpose flour with the boiling water.  Knead until a pliable dough is formed, adding more flour or water if necessary.

Since I used whole wheat flour, I had to knead for a little bit for my dough to become elastic enough to use - maybe 10-15 minutes?  Of course, a mixer with a dough hook would be useful here, but I keep it old school because I don't have one of those fancy schmancy mixers (until Christmas! My mom spilled the beans and said she was getting us/me one!).

Divide the dough into 8 equal sized pieces.  Roll the dough as thin as you can, without it breaking.

Spread about a tablespoon of olive oil on top of each circle, and then drizzle with a very small amount of sesame oil (a little goes a long way!).  Mix oils together and massage into the dough until covered.  Sprinkle with salt and a good amount of the scallions (remember, you have to do this 7 more times, so don't go too crazy with it!).

Roll the dough into a long rope (Kirbie's Cravings does a great photo tutorial on this, so check it out if you have questions) and then coil the rope into a circle.  Flatting with a rolling pin to about 1/4 inch thickness - this ensures that the scallions get evenly distributed throughout the pancake.

Repeat this process with remaining pieces of dough.

Heat a nonstick skillet under medium heat and add one pancake.  Cook until golden brown, about 1 & 1/2 to 2 minutes.  Flip over, and cook an additional minute or so.

Repeat with remaining pancakes.

Cut into triangles and serve with a spicy soy sauce (simple soy sauce with red pepper flakes and some grated ginger).

These make a great snack that feed a decent amount of people!  I've even used them as a wrap for Asian-inspired wraps (Bulgogi wraps?!). 


Have a great Friday guys!  I've got my first Culinary Theory class tonight and the lab tomorrow - I'll have a chef's uniform by tomorrow morning!  So exciting!!

41 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! I hope you love every minute of it. The pancakes sound delicious, especially with the sesame oil, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be so excited. Love this recipe it sounds delish. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you that its healthy and we have something similar called cappati, my hubby's fav for his night meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks soo good - they are my kind of pancake:-)

    And you are getting your chef's uniform tomorrow? Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Second time today someone posted a recipe of something I have always wanted to try but just never have. I think the universe is telling me to cook these... right now :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE scallion pancakes and even more imprressed that you grew the onions yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo great idea for pancakes, these sound delicious!! I love green onions, yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, it looks great!
    I bet it would be great with cottage cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. At least you got lettuce, too. Our groundhog took care of our lettuce. Love adding scallions for things like savory pancakes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! Good luck with your class tonight! How exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely adore scallion pancakes and have never made my own! These look like they came out perfectly. I can't wait to try. I have some scallions in the fridge right now... Good luck tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, what a great idea for those extra scallions in the fridge...these must be so delicious dipped in some spiced up soy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look super tasty! Have you started the countdown to when you get your new mixer at Christmas yet? Happy Days...Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never had a scallion pancake! They look really good and now you have me wanting some!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "looks great, cant wait to give it a try, handsome hates scallions so i will cut them up super tiny. I once came into the kitchen to find him laying on the floor with a pancake on his face with a hole for the mouth. he was doing shots of syrup...."

    And that's what happens when you let Handsome post comments ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, this is the second awesome-looking scallion pancake recipe I've seen today, so I have no choice but to take it as a sign. It must be scallion pancake time!

    (NB: I'm way into the idea to make a whole-wheat version, so yours wins out. I can't wait to try this tomorrow night to go with my chilled seaweed salad with tofu and shiitakes. Yum!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a GREAT idea! The pancakes are amazing and I love onion....I have the same problem with leftover scallions, too. Awesome solution! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Peggy, this recipe looks like the perfect start to a day. I'll bet the scallions add such a fresh 'pop' to these pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Peggy, this look somewhat like S'pore's version of Prata. But yours looks crispy & nice to munch :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm sounds yummy! I love scallions :) I bet these would be awesome with some cheddar cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have such an un-green thumb too that I even have to steal some spring onions from my mom's garden! But now I know what to do with the excess scallions, turn them into these gorgeous looking pancakes!

    Good luck with your culinary school adventure ;).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have the same problem with buying scallions, and not being able to use it all up! What a great idea to make these scallions! I cannot wait to see a pic of you in your uniform!! AWESOME!!! xoxo =]

    ReplyDelete
  24. delicious looking stuffed flat bread looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks good! :) We call this "Pyaaz Paratha".
    -
    Kavi | Edible Entertainment

    ReplyDelete
  26. Also, I have an award for you :-) It's waiting here: http://www.katherinemartinelli.com/blog/2011/tofu-satay-with-peanut-dipping-sauce/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Goes well with curry... got me craving for it. Good luck in your culinary class :) nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great way to use up extra green onions! I always have trouble making it through a bunch too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks very delicious, my favorite pancake. Loves yours with extra scallion.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can even feel your excitement!
    The green onion pancakes look very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These look delicious! I always make buttermilk pancakes, but these look like a tasty twist:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have made these pancakes perfectly...they look real crisp and yum.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the scallions in there and have to admit, I wouldn't mind squirrels in my garden. That sounds just too cute! What a tasty treat.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think I have some scallions waiting to be used up! Such a great idea and I will be making them soon! Look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've never made savoury pancakes before. Actually...I've never made any pancakes that haven't been dripping with a half cup of maple syrup. These sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. These pancakes are beautiful and great for all occasions.

    How's the feeling of putting on a chef's uniform?

    ReplyDelete
  37. I always let my spring onions for photo shoot garnishes to waste too. I should use them for omelettes or pancakes. I love your site. Your gf-bf shots on top of the the site are absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This sounds like a paratha and yours look really good , crispy and flaky ,like how it is supposed to be :) .

    ReplyDelete
  39. I read and really impressed form your topic. I have come some advice to about Culinary School or Culinary Training nationwide. Thanks for sharing.....Culinary Training canebrake CA

    ReplyDelete
  40. This appears to be like a paratha and yours look really excellent , crunchy and flaky ,like how it is expected to be :) .
    buy runescape gold
    Cheap FFXIV Gil

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails