Monday, September 12, 2011

Secret Recipe Club: Beef & Pork Keema


It's Secret Recipe Club time again!  What is Secret Recipe Club?  Well, it's the coolest thing to hit the internet since Google originated, that's what!  It's basically a monthly "secret santa" among food bloggers.  You get assigned a food blogger, and you get to tackle one (or more!) of their recipes to post on reveal day (which is, of course, TODAY!)

I was really excited to be assigned Dana from Dana's Food For Thought.  Why?!  Well, Dana was assigned my blog for the first Secret Recipe Club that I participated in!  So it was so great to return the favor!

Dana's blog is full of amazing recipes, it was definitely hard to choose.  Recently engaged herself, Dana and I are very similar (as she said in her post when she was assigned my blog!).  She's got everything from Morel Mushroom and Brie Tart to Lime Chicken Empanadas with Ranchero Ranch Dressing!  Do I have your mouth watering yet?!

As I was perusing through Dana's blog, something really caught my eye - the Turkey Keema.  It had all of the Indian flavors that Andy and I both love, but still remained somewhat "normal" when in comes to "Americanized-Ethnic" food.  Andy was definitely surprised at how much he liked it - because looking at the ingredients, he was definitely weary... but I told him to trust me.  And I'm glad he did!  Because this was awesome - and I definitely will be taking Dana's suggestion of putting the filling into sandwiches, because I'm sure it'll be incredible!

Ingredients:
Adapted from Dana's Food For Thought's recipe


1 & 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped

1/2 pound ground beef

1/2 lb. ground pork
2 & 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander

2 & 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

1 & 1/2 teaspoons salt

about 5 red potatoes, diced

6 oz plain Greek yogurt

3/4 cup 2% milk

3/4 cup frozen vegetables medley (peas, corn, carrots, green beans)

juice from 1 lemon
small handful cilantro, chopped


In a cast iron skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute longer. Add the ground beef and pork and cook until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.  Remove any extra fat.


Stir in the coriander, cumin, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of the salt to the pan. Cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the potatoes, yogurt, and milk. Bring just to a boil. Cover the pan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes longer.

Stir in the frozen vegetable medley and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer until the vegetables are just done, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro.  Serve with warm naan bread.


This was absolutely amazing.  It definitely exceeded every expectation and I can totally understand why Dana included it in her 7 Links Challenge as the 'Post That Didn't Get The Attention It Deserved'.


So I'm glad I got a chance to see why Dana thought this!  

I'm glad I got a chance at one of Dana's recipes, and I can't wait to experiment with others!  

If you want to join in on the fun of the Secret Recipe Club - feel free to check it out here!



33 comments:

  1. That looks really good! Great choice, Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got my blog this time around... what a fun coincidence! Great job w the Keema, it's definitely one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy, looks delicious. I loves all the spices in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really delicious. Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this, Peggy! But, looking at the ingredients tells me I would like it. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so similar like the one I made but ours is with mutton. Lovely with the bread and it goes well with rice too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks terrific! I have to admit I also really like sort of Americanized Indian food (recently made a meatball curry that was really yummy). A great recipe - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That keema looks really good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You’ve sure put the spotlight on this dish! It looks amazing and I have no doubt it would taste good with bread as well. I think I can even spoon it right in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome, sure they taste great with all kinds of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe! I bet my bf will love this too. I will keep this on my wishlist to make for him :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pick! It reminds me a little of a curry dish my mom used to make after Thanksgiving every year with the turkey leftovers... not entirely authentic, but so very very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious and I love all the spices in it, great SRC choice.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for introducing me to SRC, Peggy!
    I can almost smell all those spices right now, I have been thinking about making a milk-cream based Indian dish because we have never cooked but it is all we order at the Indian restaurants. Good one :) Deserves more attention definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love kheema, and yours looks divine! Want to pile it on some Naan and just devour it! Fanrasric SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your name, say it like it is... I love it. Just found you and love everything your cooking up... plus I just joined the secret recipe club, my first assignment is in Oct. yay. Excited to see what else you have coming.
    Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keema sounds like a great choice for a light lunch. Yum! I've heard of the secret recipe club but I didn't think I have enough recipes to share ... yet. I definitely will join in the fun one day. Great pic btw.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is different from the way I make a beef keema. But I must say it tastes great in a sandwich, especially a grilled sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just saw Aarti on the Food Network make something just like this on Saturday. Fun choice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love when you post recipes from the secret recipe club!! I especially loved the part where you told Andy to trust you, that he will like it, and he did! <3<3 =]

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicious! I have to agree...the secret recipe club IS the coolest thing to hit the web since Google!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Delicious !!!!
    this keema really looks wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is great way to cook mince pork and beef. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The first time I read the name of the recipe I'm curious - secred recipe club!
    although this recipe have lots of spice in it but when I read the directions is a simple recipe in fact!
    Tq for sharing the story about the secret recipe club & tq for the recipe peggy!
    Love it & buzzed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great idea doing this for the secret recipe club. Looks incredibly tasty and definitely worth trying for something different!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Never had keema Peggy...and from your description and pictures I would love to try it. Looks delicious and full of flavor.
    Hope you are having a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks great! I'm glad you chose this one, as I saw her post where she included the link to it as most over-looked and felt bad about that. I think you gave it the attention it deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Also a lover of Indian dishes. I can just see this mix going into a pie, or samosa, or a pita. It looks/sounds wonderful. Great pick on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks so beautiful, easy and tasty. Love it! Perfect SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just added this to my menu for next week because I have some red potatoes I needed to use up!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just stopping by from Secret Recipe and this looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails