Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Grilled NY Strip w/ Vegetables & Olivada


Can you believe that before this meal, I haven't had a bit of red meat in over 2 months?  And you know what?  It made this meal all the better!

It was simple, but elegant.  We had our friend Terry over and he straight cleaned his plate.  That's always a sign that the meal is good, right?!

While I'm not usually a big fan of olives, this olivada (very similar to a tapenade - but easier!) was a winner in my book.  Intermingled with the vegetables and on top of the steak, it was a great condiment and rounded out the dish well.

So the next time your in the mood for a steak dinner - this is where it's at!


Ingredients:
Adapted from Food & Wine's recipe


1 red onion, cut into thick slices
1/2 cauliflower, cut into 2-inch florets
1 lb. asparagus, trimmed
1 yellow bell pepper, cored and cut into strips
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing
salt and pepper, to taste
3 12 oz. New York Strip Steaks

Olivada:

1 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
1 tablespoon capers
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil

To make olivada, combine olives, capers, garlic, red pepper flakes, vinegar, and olive oil in a small bowl.  Let sit for about 20 minutes for flavors to meld.

Meanwhile, combine onion, cauliflower, asparagus, and bell pepper in a grill pan  Toss with 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Grill under direct heat until vegetables start to char - about 10 minutes or so.  Toss vegetables with about half of the olivada.  Set aside.

Brush the steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Grill steaks on direct heat, turning once, about 8-10 minutes for a medium rare.  Cook a little bit longer if you want them more done.  Let rest on carving board for about 5 minutes.

Serve steaks alongside the vegetables and top steaks with additional olivada, if desired.


Seriously, if you're a carnivore, this is sure to please ya!  I don't know if it was because I hadn't had meat in so long or what, but this meal is definitely a keeper!  See you guys tomorrow - have a great rest of your Wednesday!

24 comments:

  1. Peggy, that looks amazing! I can go with or without red meat,but NOTHING beats a good steak! The olivada sounds delish and the picture of the steak on the grill is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm this looks like good, hearty steak. Never heard of olivada, but I have now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love grilled steak, it looks so good! Olivada is definitely new to me but I know I'd devour it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet it was extra tasty because you used charcoal grill! :) Wish I have the patience to set up a charcoal grill!
    I will keep this olivada in mind. Dont like paying bunch of many to a jar of tapanade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, it's been like forever since I've been by to say hello, secondly, I have not eaten a steak since last Christmas, and HOW I Love anything cooked on the grill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Steak! I don't often have red meat, but I am not sure I could ever give up a nice juicy steak!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds amazing! Love the veggies and the steak....I bet the olivada was like icing on the cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is for sure elegant Peggy, we too try to cut down on red meat but after 2 months break, it should be fine. Nice with the veges served together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have steaks very often, but sometimes I really get a craving for one. Yours looks so flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love grilled steak...have not had it either, for at least a couple months! Your olivada is fabulous, as well! Such a nice combination with all the other veggies, which is a nice balance with the "meat."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Molto gustosa questa tua preparazione, ciao :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, juicy looking steak!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two months! I would DIE! These looks wonderfully delicious, a great way to get back on the meat wagon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what a feast, Peggy!!! I know this meal would be gone in a flash from our plates...love your vegetable medley~

    ReplyDelete
  15. can't go wroong with the perfect grilled steak; I have never heard of olivada, but I know it must be perfect with this meal.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! I would have loved to have this served for dinner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The grilled steak looks irresistible~!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow.. this looks amazing.. And love the pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the perfect plate of food. Can't go wrong with steak in my household. The olivada looks amazing. I love capers. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Olivada sounds sooo yummy! This meal looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your charcoal bbq!! Here in Holland we always have charcoal bbqs and we love the extra flavor it gives! Your steak looks mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like the perfect grilled steak to me! Few things make me happier than a properly cooked, juicy steak :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like your charcol grill! The other day we were talking about charcol vs gas. We have gas grill but we miss charcol tastes. Your steak looks perfectly cooked and looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The little t-rex that is left to run wild through my prefrontal cortex can not imagine two months without a bite of red meat - but I give you kudos for it. Nothing beats a great steak fresh off of a charcoal grill from time to time. This looks perfect.
    Rawr.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails