Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Chunky Eggplant Dip


Happy Wednesday guys!

I feel so worn out, I have no idea what's up with me!  But don't fret - I'm still busy in the kitchen!

Andy's work had a dip contest today and he asked me to make something for him.  So I made some more pretzel bites with beer cheese.  And you know what?!  It got 2nd place! 

Even better... Andy's chocolate concoction of a dip won 1st place.  So really - we both won - and I don't even work there!

So because I'm in a "dippy" sort of mood, I figured I'd post another good one.  This is practically one of the only dishes I can solidly eat eggplant in.  It's goes good with tortilla chips, toasted bread, and even all by itself!

What's your favorite dip?

Ingredients:
Adapted from Pennies on a Platter's Recipe


1 large eggplant
juice from 1 lemon
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tahini
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
small handful parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
tortilla chips
toasted baguette slices

Preheat oven to 375 F. 

Pierce the eggplant all over with a fork.  Drizzle with some olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil.  Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes. 

Unwrap eggplant and allow to cool until safe enough to handle.

Set a colander over a bowl.  Cut the eggplant in half and scoop out the pulp from both halves.  Place in colander and allow to drain for about 5 minutes.

Transfer pulp to a food processor and pulse a few times.  Add lemon juice, garlic, tahini, Parmesan, and cayenne pepper (if desired).  Pulse until you reach your desired texture (I like mine on the chunky side!).  Season with salt and pepper.

Place filling into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Place in fridge for at least 30 minutes, to allow flavors to meld.

Stir in fresh parsley and drizzle olive oil over top (if desired) before serving.  Serve alongside toasted baguette slices and homemade tortilla chips.


This is quite tasty - and if you're looking for something on the healthy side for game day - this might be it!  Have a great rest of your day guys!

18 comments:

  1. Looks delish!! :) I've always wanted to make hummus but need to buy tahini!! I'm glad that ur still busy in the kitchen, even though ur tired! My role model :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations with your both victory. Clearly, I can see that you both are great cooks!

    This eggplant dip is great for entertaining and also a great sneaky way to make my son to eat his vege.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to the big winners! Great dip for those tired nights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting humus recipe,i made regular humus with sundried tomato but i never had with eggplant,i have to try this,sound great to me :)
    Ridwan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I know I liked your pretzel beer cheese dip a lot! Eggplant is one of my favorites and this looks OH SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This chunky eggplant dip looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wooo...that's really chunky! Looks like granola from some angle :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peggy, congratulation to both of you. 2 thumbs up. The egg plant dip looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely a fresh and unique recipe. I gotta give this a try sometime - it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmm that sounds just so Delicious. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats Peggy for the 2nd place and anything with eggplant makes me wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you guys took first and second place...what a sweep! My favourite dip is guacamole. Or baba ganoush.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! You're the dipping duo :) Loving this eggplant dip! I'm totally addicted to eggplant right now so I've bookmarked this for quick makaged :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a great and delicious snack!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy! I love eggplants and I already bookmarked this dip. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the win! I don't think I have a favorite dip. This dip looks so delicious. I'd love to give this a try sometime. What a great snack. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails