Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Potato & Red Pepper Hash


Yesterday was my first day.  First day stepping foot inside of a restaurant to see about a job in the kitchen.  The first day stepping foot on campus for culinary school classes.  It was the first day that I've been completely confident doing what I'm doing.  And it was great.  It was a great feeling to be pleasantly nervous. 

I was a bundle of nerves stepping foot into Jack Fry's.  It was thanks to a good friend of ours, Terry, that I even got this opportunity.  While our meeting was a quick one, I appreciated the fact that the chef took time out of his busy day to meet with me and give me this chance.  I have to call back Friday to see when he can fit me in, but it would be at least a 12-week internship-type deal.  I'm truly grateful for the chance to gain some restaurant experience. 

Walking into the classroom for the first time, was much of the same.  A bundle of nervousness.  It was a Basic Nutrition class, so there were a mixture of upper-level students.  And turns out, I was the only first quarter culinary student in there.  The only person not wearing a uniform.  So I kind of felt a little out of place - but after Saturday (my culinary lab), I'll have my uniform, and I won't feel like such an outcast.  Besides my initial fear, the nutrition class is pretty much a science class, so I felt comfortable with most of the material, being a former Biology major.  There's some fun projects coming up - including a recipe book (which I'm most excited about), so I'm excited to learn.  Friday and Saturday are the classes I'm most looking forward to though - Basic Culinary Theory and the Lab to go with it.  So I'll be sure to do a full report next week on those two!

Anyway, you came here for the food right?  We've been eating a lot of breakfast-for-dinner type meals lately.  I don't know why, but I don't see any complaints from Andy - seeing as he'll usually have two platefuls when I decide to do this! 

I love making hashes or potato-type dishes for breakfast.  They're easy, filling, and so versatile.  I had some sweet peppers from our CSA that needed to be used up, and so I thought this was a perfect fit!

Ingredients:
Adapted from Seasaltwithfood's Recipe 



about 5 Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped
salt and pepper, to taste


Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add potatoes and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until almost fork tender.  You want them to disintegrate when you touch them!  Drain.

Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until hot.  Add the onion and peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until starting to soften. Add garlic and stir for another minute or so, until fragrant.  Transfer the onion mixture to small bowl and set aside.

Add butter to the skilled with the remaining oil and heat over medium-high heat until butter foams. Add potatoes and make sure they are in an even layer on the skillet.  Cook without stirring until potatoes are golden brown on bottom, about 4 to 5 minutes.  Carefully turn the potatoes and repeat until browning until all sides are golden brown and crisp.


Stir in the onion-pepper mixture and carefully toss until all is combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve with some sausage and eggs for a complete breakfast!

26 comments:

  1. Yeah, Peggy!!! I can not wait to read about your experiences in school and the kitchen! You rock! Awesome you're following your dream. Love the hash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That is such an exciting experience. It's wonderful to know that you are right where you should be. Can't wait to hear more about it!

    In the meantime, this looks fantastic. I could eat this any time of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoy reading about your journey; my son took that same path 15 years ago; he became a chef and has travelled, but now he has settled back home and he is executive chef at a local college. I will be fun reading your story.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations for completing your first day and for the possible internship! As much as I'd love to go to culinary school, the thought of heading back to school isn't so appealing. Good for you though for following your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that your day went so well. You will soon fit in and nerves will vanish. Love this recipe. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such exciting first day things here, I am glad you are following your passion.
    This potato recipe does intrigue, I need something to change up my boring few ways of preparation of this side dish. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to hear that your two project went well. sure you are going to be good chef. This potato red pepper hash looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to know that you are doing great with new projets.
    This looks hearty and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peggy, love the potato with the red pepper...and enjoy reading your experience :-)
    Hope you are having a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear your first day went well! We do breakfast-for-dinner all the time so this looks really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great update on your first day! Glad it went so well---so many new things in one day...
    Sounds like you'll be on a super fun journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kudos to you for following your passion! Good luck on your new journey, girl! You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the combination of poatoes and peppers, it's always great :)
    Love the photos! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you had a good first day. I'm SO excited to read this series and all about your culinary school journey! Breakfast for dinner is ALWAYS a good idea and this is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your potato and red pepper hash looks great! Simply looking at it makes me love breakfast for dinner meals more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY!!!!
    I am glad that your first day went so good.
    Wishing you a wonderful and succesful culinary school journery my dear...
    This hash looks so good...
    Yummm..

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like a perfect breakkie to me! Good luck with your future culinary classes...I wish that I can have this opportunity too.

    I know you will do well for your classes! You are such a great cook!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite meals! Love hash of any kind.

    Congrats on your first day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratz ith all ur first day peggy! Happy for u!!
    I know that feeling... the feeling of pleasantly nervous - I feel that everytime I'm at a cooking class with my favorite Indonesia celebrity chef! well... he's cute too... Hehe he! :)
    Tq for sharing the recipe, yummy for lunch!
    Buzzed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks yummy and spicy!! Would love to try this dish out. LOve the photo... so appealing :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice outcome with the potatoes and best of luck in exploring further on your culinary journey.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love hearing about your new culinary school and kitchen adventures! I am so excited to vicariously follow along with you. Also, I love breakfast for dinner - it was one of those things that my dad would do sometimes when we were kids and it always felt like such a rebellious treat, turning things on their head! This hash looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad it all went well!!! Sounds like SO much fun :) And your hash looks fabulous...I'm going to take a cue from you and add this to our menu soon~

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails