Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Scallops with Honeydew-Avocado Salsa


Lately I've been overwhelmed with emotions.  I mean, in exactly one week, I'll be an official student in Sullivan University's Culinary Arts program.  I'm scared.  Scared that I won't be good enough.  Excited. Excited that I'm taking a leap of faith.  And ready.  Ready for anything that's thrown at me. 

It will be a big change.  One of the biggest decisions I've made in my life to just jump into something new.  Something that I'm passionate about.  Something that won't make me a lot of money.  But you know what.  I don't care about money, never did.  As long as I have a roof over my head, food in my belly, and my bills are paid - I'm content.  I want to do something that will truly make me happy at the end of the day.  And I feel that taking this leap of faith and starting into a career that I truly feel that I can succeed in - will keep me happy at the end of every day.

So I wanted to let you know that starting next week, I may not be as present in the blogosphere.  I'm going to see how my new schedule affects my day-to-day and then revamp my blogging schedule accordingly.  Maybe I'll even do a new post series of "what-I've-learned-in-culinary-school-this-week".  Who knows.  But bear with me.  Stay with me.  I promise I won't disappear.  And hell, who knows - maybe I'll still be able to post daily like I try to do now.

Ingredients:
Adapted from Food & Wine's recipe


Zest of 1 lime
juice from 1 lime
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small honeydew melon, rind removed and diced
1 avocado, diced
salt and pepper, to taste
16 sea scallops
Black beans, optional

In a medium bowl, combine the lime zest, lime juice, and olive oil.  Toss in the melon and avocado and coat well with lime-olive oil mixture.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Brush the scallops with olive and season with salt and pepper.  Heat a large skillet under medium high heat.  Sear scallops for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. 

Serve the scallops with the honeydew salsa and black beans.


This dish was simple and made us feel real good after eating it.  And not to mention it's just darn pretty to look at!

Speaking of pretty to look at, we recently had one of Andy's friends over for dinner.  His girlfriend happens to be the pastry chef for the restaurant Proof On Main, here in Louisville.  She brought dessert - a corn gelato (Oh. my. god. was it good!) and chocolate cake.  Just look at how awesome this looks!


And talking with her really excited me for the upcoming weeks.  They both loved the dinner I cooked them, which I was nervous about because I've never had a true culinary professional eat something I've made.  And she told me about her journey to becoming the pastry chef she is today which was definitely inspiring, as well.  She's even trying to start her own business - Sugar Monster Sweets
I mean, just checking out those cakes makes me jealous of her mad skills!  Anybody in Louisville or the surrounding areas in need of a cake or sweet treat of any kind should definitely look into her!

Hope you guys have a great Tuesday!

37 comments:

  1. This dish looks fantastic. Don't panic you will be a great student, and I am so looking forward to hearing what you are up to :-) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Just love scallops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen a salsa like this...looks so interesting! Love the flavor combination

    ReplyDelete
  4. i stumbled across your blog recently and I'm a culinary student at Sullivan. You will be good enough, trust me, your food looks amazing and I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE scallops! Your dish is gorgeous, wow! Congrats on a well executed dish, love the light refreshing ingredients that accompany it. Thanks for sharing =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful dish! Love scallops but have never made it with a salsa like that. Definitely going to have to try this one. Good luck with school you will do great! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good! I get so much Foodbuzz email that it's hard to decide what to click on but..this was a must yum. I'm a sucker for anything salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're already making food this beautiful and delicious now, I know you will thrive in culinary school. Best of luck to you; can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, avacodo and scallops makes wonderful combo. Congrats on joining your new adventure. looking foward to well know culinary expert from you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so gourmet!
    All the best with the new culinary art program!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect presentation! Looks like a fantastic lunch! Good luck for your new life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exiting! I’m so happy for you and can’t wait to see what you’ll learn. Hopefully you can “teach” it to us so we can “keep” up with you.
    This is a beautiful dish, love the colors and the flavors. And that dessert…just over to top!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that honeydew and avocado salad will be making a debut at my house VERY soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take the time you need, follow your heart and your belly, and look forward to hearing about your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love scallops! And that honeydew and black bean salsa is so pretty! Best of luck to you as you start your new journey next week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scallops are my husband's favourite thing. You are sure making these sound so good! Goof luckk in your new venture. Really looking forward reading about your new post series of "what-I've-learned-in-culinary-school-this-week. Don't worry I am sticking around.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great recipe,i just love all ingredients,sound really good,simple and healthy dish :)
    Ridwan

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks beautiful and delicious....and I have 100% faith in your culinary school abilities! You'll do great...just show them all your amazing blog pics and recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Peggy, your scallop dish looks fantastic...beautiful presentation, and looks absolutely delicious.
    Hope you have a great week and good luck on your new journey :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. good luck sugar!! I know you'll do amazingly. Obviously it's scary starting something new but you must have "a set" because you're doing it! I'm already proud of you!

    PS. Would love to hear what you learn about!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have tasted honey drew with scallops long time ago, thus I know how great and lovely it would have been. You bet the desserts is fantastic and I agree with you 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The meal and the dessert look fabulous! Good luck with culinary school. I'd love to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, what a delectable dish...I just adore scallops! And good luck next week...I know you'll rock the culinary srts program!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so proud of you for chasing your dreams. I am envious that I haven't found it in me yet to do the same. I hope you'll share with us what you're learning. This meal looks so delicious. Those desserts are amazing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Stunning! The dish is beautiful and if ANYONE is going to be amazing at the culinary school...it's gonna be you! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous scallop dish, Peggy!
    I'm sure that with your passion in food and cooking, you'll do great in culinary school! Worry not! :-*

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good luck with starting school! Making things like this on your own, I am sure you will do great! Your scallops look perfectly seared!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Best of luck in culinary school! Such an exciting journey ahead!! Keep cooking you scallops like this and you will be fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love how you've paired the ingredients here - scallop, honeydew, avocado and black beans - satisfying, healthy and delicious (not to mention rather beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Peggy, I'm really really excited for you! You should not be worried anything about your experience. We all know here how great home cook you are! You will only get better and better and I really can't wait to hear about your schooling and what you learn! Good luck! Now this scallops dish look like one we can order in a nice restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looking at this gorgeous and delicious-looking scallop dish, I'd say you are more than good enough for culinary school! Don't forget to take us all on your professional culinary journey, we'd love to know what it all entails ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  32. Both dishes looks so good!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. You made a great choice, don't be afraid. You are a wonderful cook. I will be here even if you post once a week and will be happy to experience culinary school through those posts.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am also from chef background and love to enjoy reading new things. I have come some advice to about cullinary school east farms CT for your success. Thanks for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete
  35. You created your best option, don't be scared. You are a amazing prepare. I will be here even if you publish once per 7 days and will be satisfied to encounter cooking university through those content.Gold For Runescape

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails