Monday, September 26, 2011

Baked Caramel Apples


Can we see a theme developing here?

I had extra apples and caramels from these so I thought I'd make good use of the extra in some more caramel apple-themed treats!

These are super easy, somewhat messy, but oh so delicious!  The Cheesecake Factory used to have this apple dumpling-type dessert that I loved.  It was a warm apple wrapped in pastry and filled with caramel.  I haven't seen it there in forever (maybe they've discontinued it?  I don't know), so this is my take on it... sans pastry of course.

Ingredients:
Adapted from a Taste of Home recipe


4 Granny Smith Apples, cored
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter
8 caramels
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
whipped cream

Preheat oven to 300 F.

Place apples in a square baking dish.  Pour apple juice over top of apples.  Divide brown sugar, butter, and caramels between each apple.  Sprinkle cinnamon on top of apples.

Bake for about 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours, or until apples are softened and caramel is melted.  (As you can see, my caramels could have gone for a little bit longer, but I was getting antsy!)

Top with fresh whipped cream (and snap your pictures fast, because it obviously melts quickly!).


While this isn't the pretties dessert ever, it's quite messy really.  It sure does have all of the flavors of fall that I really enjoy - and it's so simple to put together!  The waiting is the hardest part!


What's your favorite fall treat?

31 comments:

  1. Caramel apples are my all time favorite fair foods but unfortunately I can't eat them anymore because of some dental work I had done. These look like a delicious alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks as delicious as it looks gorgeous! I can't get enough of all those fall recipes and these definitely showcase the season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to make something like this--looks great!
    I love apple crisp in the fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so delicious. I love the caramel over them. Baked apples just scream fall to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caramel apples make me giddy this time of year. These look so delicious. I would love to make this sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious perfect for the season looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look fantastic! I love baked apples but never thought to include caramel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What delicious looking baked caramel apples wow! Messy usually means tasty! Thanks for sharing! =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love baked apples but have never tried with caramels, just about to rush out and buy some :-) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look soo delicious and is the perfect recipe for the Fall season, love this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caramels in apples? Looks really really good; never thought of that before, but why not?
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha this is too funny. My boyfriend was talking about this when I made caramel apples last weekend. You beat him too it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! Caramel apples are one of my favorite things ever :P Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, the cream looks amazingly sinful on these baked apples!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always enjoy baked apples in the fall. After seeing this, looks like I am going to be enjoying them more-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never had a baked apple before! I want this though - with all that caramel spilling out, I think I would lick the tray!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another beautiful post! You are on fire lately!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Peggy, these are awesome!!! I've never tried baking my own apples before and now you've inspired me to give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! i need this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I just died and went to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never baked a full apple like this before, but you have it stuffed with so much fall goodness I'm not sure I can pass it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks so yummy! A perfectly cozy autumn dessert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow - these look amazing! I love that you turned the caramel apple on it's ear

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't know what you're talking about that this isn't the prettiest dessert ever - looks gorgeous to me! I love these flavors. Bookmarked, pinned, stumbled recipe. Must make soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. such a simple recipe, fits great for someone like me who am always looking for easy recipe, lovely outcome even without the cream on top.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love apples! These look really good. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. The baked apples with caramel looks absolutely delish!! I am feeling all warmth and cuddly right now.. Great recipe. If only I could get some of my family members to try this.. thanks for stoppinng by Peggy and buzzing me too. Hugs, Jo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails