Friday, February 4, 2011

Blood Orange Vodka Martinis


Happy Friday everyone!  I've got the day off, so I'm planning on doing a little house cleaning (been trying to avoid this, but the procrastination must end!) and catching up on a little studying. 

Last week's drink poll is the reason behind this concoction!  I was kind of scared to put it on the list because I didn't know if I could find Blood Oranges, but of course, our local Whole Foods did not disappoint.  Although, I wasn't expecting to pay $5 for 4 oranges.  But what's a little splurge every now and then!

We drank these (well, my friend Becca and I drank these - the boys stuck with their beers) last Saturday night in celebration of our 1 year engagement.  Well, we weren't really celebrating that, but just having a normal game night amongst friends, that just so happened to fall on the night of our 1 year of being engaged.  It's crazy to think about, because Andy and I have been together for about 4 years now, but we don't really have a "set" anniversary date.  It's like every day is our anniversary because we just enjoy eachother and are thankful for eachother's company every day!  (I know, that was cheesy... but sometimes love is cheesy!)




Ingredients:


2 parts vodka
2 parts freshly squeezed blood orange juice
1/2 part simple syrup (easily made by bringing equal parts sugar and water to a boil and letting cool after sugar dissolves)
1/2 part triple sec
ice

This is more like a ratio, more than anything.  But really, aren't most drinks like that?

I'll have to say that I got a little carried away on the liquor and these babies are somewhat strong, so definitely add more juice if you feel that way.

Combine vodka, blood orange juice, simple syrup, and triple sec in a cocktail shaker. 

Fill about 3/4 full of ice. 

Shake, shake, shake.  I'm not gonna lie, this is my favorite part!

Pour into a martini glass. 

Drink.


These were definitely delicious.  With my 4 blood oranges, I think I managed to have about 3 rounds of drinks, which isn't bad.  Especially since I only put $5 in this drink, and 3 of these at a bar would probably be $9 a piece!  Sometimes drinking at home is always better... cheaper AND safer!

And if you wanted to make this nonalcohol, you could always substitute the vodka (and leaving out the triple sec, too) with sparkling water or soda water.  Or just double up on the juice!  Hope you guys have a great weekend... I know I'm sure gonna try!

40 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! I love blood oranges. They've actually recently had them in Target, of all places, for pretty cheap. I've loaded up on them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so refreshing. I need to taste them. I am not a fan of vodka, but occasionally love to try .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so delicious! I've recently started making Orange Creamsicle Martinis with Vanilla Vodka and orange juice. They really hit the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know who my new drinking buddy is... =)

    My drink of choice is a screwdriver... this.. this is just amazing! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to make a nonalcoholic version of these... sounds refreshing and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful drink! I'm sure it's delish too...this is right up my alley---I would definitely make this tonight if I had the ingredients...I guess I could use a regular orange, but I like the idea of the blood orange :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well now I just picked-up some blood oranges this morning, this really wasn't my plan of how I was going to consume them but sure is a great idea. What the heck it is the weekend after all and I will still get my vitamin C. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors! Beautiful cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks really light and refreshing ... as long as you don't have too many! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had a real blood orange, but I had blood orange juice in Italy and it was incredible! I'll show this recipe to my mom... she's a martini fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blood oranges are so delicious, mix them with booze, even better! I am going to try this martini, it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo hoo! I am officially done with my 'no drinking fast!' I'll definitely have to make this soon! Also, I make blood orange mimosas for brunch in the winter. YUM! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't had a SINGLE blood orange this season and I feel so bad about it! I definitely nee to get some this weekend for a little martini indulgence. These sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a great martini! Yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that vibrant colour! I'd like to have some pls :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cheers! Great way to start off my weekend with a nice fresh martini, thanks for the drink recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can`t stop looking at this! It`s absolutely divine and I want to try this...

    Have a great time,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I would love the alcoholic and non-alcoholic version of this- yum!

    Happy engagement anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photo and tasty martini; I can almost taste it. Coongratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Full of passion.
    Congratulations ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. looks like a perfect drink to me :) Thank you for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay so that looks really yummy. Can you send one over. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how gorgeous this looks. Blood oranges are delish so a martini with them must be obnoxiously good! Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so unbelievably hot here in Sydney (our hottest week on record)... I would give my right arm for an ice cold one of these! Will have to have the girls over, this would be perfect to sip by the pool ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Che meraviglia questo cocktail.. non sono abituata a prepararli prendo l'idea volentieri dal tuo a presto ciao

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for commenting over on my blog. I'm your newest follower. You've got some great recipes on here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had my first taste of blood oranges in Italy and have been a convert ever since, your martini sounds like such a delicious drink, I would love to try a few of those!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks soo good! My cousin is coming in town for the week and I can't wait to make her one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I wish I had one of these in my hand right now, and the colour is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  30. As a self-proclaimed expert drinker (it's a hard-won title, but I'm a man who's dedicated to his goals), I declare these to be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh this sounds lovely, and I'm not much of a cocktail drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love a good cocktail and this looks like a goooooood cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Knew it would be too sweet for us....cut simple syrup to one third, and it was perfect!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails