Friday, January 28, 2011

Balsamic Glazed Skirt Steak

I'll say it now and I'll say it forever... TGIF!  I've only got to work until 8:30 tonight and I've got the weekend off, so all is well in the world!  It's definitely been one of those, "I need a drink" kind of weeks.  So that is why this week's poll is a mixed drink one!  Especially after gorging myself on desserts from yesterday's Dessert's First, I need a break from the sweets!  And don't worry, for those of you who don't drink alcohol, I'll be making a "virgin" version of whatever wins, as well!  So it's win-win for us all!

And now to this steak.  Seriously, best. steak. ever.  I'm not even joking.  I mean, look at it... don't you carnivores out there just want to reach through your screen and have a bite?  Simple steak and vegetables are all a girl needs to get her through the week.  Well, this week, anyway. =)

Ingredients:
Adapted from Blissfully Delicious's recipe


1 lb. skirt steak (I love it because it's cheap and a little goes a long way!)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 & 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sake

To make marinade, melt butter in a medium saucepan under medium high heat.  Add shallots and garlic and saute until they soften, about 3 to 5 minutes or so.  

Add balsamic vinegar to saucepan and bring to a slow boil.  When at a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and let reduce for about 15 minutes.  The sauce will be slightly thickened.  Add sugar, chicken stock, soy sauce, and sake.  Bring to another boil.

Let mixture cool to room temperature and reserve a 1/4 cup of the liquid for finished steak.

Place skirt steak into large glass baking dish and cover with remaining marinade liquid.  Cover dish with plastic wrap and let marinate in the fridge for about 2 hours.  Also place the reserved marinade in the fridge while the meat is marinating.

Prior to cooking steak, drain marinade and pat steak dry.  Cut skirt steak into desired size.

Heat large skillet under medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  When oil is shimmering, add 2 steaks at a time and cook to your liking (I had a nice medium rare, at about 4-5 minutes per side).  Let steaks rest on cutting board for about 5-7 minutes before slicing against the grain.  While the steak is resting, you can heat up the reserved marinade.  Just bring to a simmer until mixture is heated through.

Serve with a bed of fresh vegetables (we had some zucchini and carrots that really made the dish quite colorful!) and top with reserved marinade (that you didn't marinate the meat in).


 Seriously.  Best. Dinner. In. A. While.  This made me mouth rejoice because it was just perfect and simple.  The balsamic really let the meat flavor shine and added the perfect touch.  I'm drooling as I'm typing this because I want it again!  Good thing I have the other half of that skirt steak still in the freezer!  Don't forget to vote in the poll below!!  Have a great weekend guys!

Can you tell I might want a Toddy??



42 comments:

  1. Lovely dish, I have some frozen steak begging to be made...printing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this! I love steak and this looks incredible! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave up meat (unofficially, so I haven't really been talking about it!), but this is still making my mouth water! Looks and sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your steak looks delicious second click is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steak is always my fave, n yours make my mouth watering :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steak looks perfect - hope you're rounding down work soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so funny I was munching on cold leftover skirt steak while I was reading this post....how weird was that? I get skirt steak a lot for my family, my daughter often requests it. We love it. I like that it is so flavorful and quick to make, and I love your photos! Yours steak looks so good! I can certainly relate to T.G.I.F. I also have a cocktail sitting in front of me after a hard week of work! Cheers! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks SO good! I love the reserved marinade on top! Yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes a girl just needs some red meat :) This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Yum! What else can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peggy this looks GOOOOOOOD! The plate all together with the veggies, awesome dish. I am now craving this skirt steak. Lovely.

    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good! Love cheap cuts, theyre hidden treasures! I hope your weekend is awesome. Sorry your week was rough...I voted for coconut...been o that lately mmmmm!

    Have a great weekend, Lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those pics look amazing (and the dish obvi)looks so gourmet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peggy, wow, this is so DELICIOUS! HAve a nice relaxing weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks good - we are having a meat fest here tonight too - Brazilian style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These steaks look really juicy. They are beautifully cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks inviting! Love the way you've prepared them...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my lord that steak is just gorgeous! YOu've got me craving meat...which NEVER happens! I think I need a cocktail as well...maybe I'll make whatever ends up winning on your poll :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks absolutely fab!

    I'd definitely go for the blood orange and vodka....Yum! Hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, it looks so good!! I'm a real sucker for red meat :-)

    My best,
    Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow that looks awesome!! Love me some steak!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Man that looks good! Delicious marinade.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The steak looks delicious. I haven't tried using balsamic reduction. I usually use red wine.

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh what an elegant meal - this belongs in a restaurant and food magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Must be treat for steak lovers..loved the last click :)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love balsamic marinated beef. I dice it and put it in salad, that way you don't need extra dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. There is an award waiting for you! You can pick it up on “My Awards” page (http://indulginglife.blogspot.com/p/my-awards.html)
    Mateja @ Indulging Life

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't eat red meat very often...but this post makes me want some steak RIGHT NOW. Wow! What a beautiful looking plate. Thank you for sharing your meaty goodness with me. I hope you have a joyful week full of continued good eating!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I don't eat meat, but I would TOTALLY make this glaze to drizzle over some seitan!!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so bookmarking this for that balsamic glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Peggy, thank you for visiting our blog.
    Your STEAK looks amazing perfect and paired with balsamic vinegar.....wow! I have a feeling you were not the only one drooling...
    thanks for the meaty inspiration :)
    YUM
    Lisa
    CookNg Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, this steak looks absolutely perfect. I can just taste the juiciness of it! The glaze sounds amazing too. I bet my husband would love it. He's a steak guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks like the best steak ever; i really love all the ingredients you incorporated in there; wow.I never cooked skirt steak but I sure will look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Glad you liked this recipe! This was a fave at our house too--and I am definitely making this again on the grill when the weather warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks great! I'll be trying it this weekend. With the reserved marinade, do you leave it in the fridge as well or just at room temperature (while the meat is marinating)? Also, before you top the meat with it do you re-heat the reserved marinade? Or just at room temp. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for pointing that out Eva! The reserved marinade goes in the fridge while the meat is marinating. And yes, just heat the reserved marinade before serving, for about 2-3 minutes, or until heated throughout. Will update the post to reflect this! Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wanted to let you know that my boyfriend and I just made this and it is delicious! It was easy to make and made the whole apartment smell wonderful. Thank you for the lovely recipe. It is one we will add to our repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Made this tonight for Valentine's day dinner, it made the date! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  39. I made this tonight for dinner. My 4 year old and my 6 year old didn't like it at all. I enjoyed it though, so more for me. We'll see if hubby likes it since he wasn't home for dinner. The reserved marinade was good on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  40. That actually looks delicious and I need one dish recipes like this so badly, with my energy levels. Thank you!!
    Jayme Silvestri

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails