Monday, January 17, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Cheesecake


I can tell you that this was the closest poll yet.  I think about 25 minutes before it closed on Saturday, I checked, and it was a 4-way tie.  A. FOUR. WAY. TIE!  While, yes, if there was a tie, I would have made all 4, and I'm sure Andy would have been in cheesecake heaven... I don't think my waistline (or Andy's, for that matter) would have enjoyed it.  So I was definitely relieved when there was a definitive winner.

And obviously... that winner was Mint Chocolate Chip.  Now, I've never had a mint chocolate chip cheesecake (and I don't recall Cheesecake Factory having this flavor, so I may be trend-setting here), but there were definitely recipes out there for it.  I used a couple of those recipes as a guideline, but then went with my gut instinct on a couple other things.  The result was this bright "atomic" looking cheesecake.  Trust me, this baby isn't a result of a nuclear spill... but a creative mind explosion (corny, much?)

Ingredients:
Adapted from About-Recipes 


1 & 1/2 cup crushed oreos & Grasshopper cookies (about 10 each)
2 & 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
24 ounces cream cheese, softened
14 ounces sweetened, fat free condensed milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 teaspoon neon green food coloring
1 & 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, chopped
1 teaspoon flour
 
Preheat oven to 300 F.
Combine crushed oreo and Grasshopper (these are like the Keebler version of Thin Mints) crumbs along with melted butter in a medium bowl.  Press crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9" springform pan
 
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.  Gradually beat in condensed milk until smooth.  Add eggs, peppermint extract, and food coloring.  Mix 3/4 cup of the chopped chocolate chips with flour to coat and stir into cream cheese mixture.  Pour the filling on top of the crust.  Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top. 
 
Wrap the bottom of the springform pan in aluminum foil to catch any leaks.  Bake in oven for about 1 hour, or until filling is set.  
 
Cool cheesecake to room temperature, then place in refrigerator and chill thoroughly, about 3-4 hours. 
 
After dinner last night, I sliced this up (didn't quite let it chill for as long as I recommended, but we REALLY wanted a piece) and after Andy took his first bite, I asked him what he thought.  He said it was "interesting."  I didn't quite take it as good or bad, so I asked him to elaborate on what he thought was "interesting" about it.  He went on to explain that it was really good, that it's definitely full of mint flavor and it was unlike any cheesecake he's ever had.  So, score???  I'll take it as a win!
 
And it was definitely better this morning (I snuck a small piece for breakfast), maybe because it was allowed to set longer.  I'd definitely recommend this for anyone who loves cheesecake, mint, or chocolate... Me?  I love all three, so it was perfect!  Enjoy guys and have a great rest of your Monday!

31 comments:

  1. awesome choice of flavor, I think it look fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh. cheesecake is the most delicious-sinful dessert. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well delicious and so welcoming ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome cheese cake recipe. Addition of mint chocolate chips make them more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job! I know I'm gonna like this. U've got all my fave ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I can never go wrong with oreo and cheese..you have mint flavor too..wow..I love your cheesecake recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cake! That mint chocolate chip really makes the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So...when are you cooking for me? That's all I wants ta know. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheesecake is looking delicious..I wish I could grab a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy, I can just imagine how good this cheesecake is. I love how it's just studded with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy crap!!! That looks INSAAAAANELY good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh this looks soooo naughty but nice... I like, I like !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmm, that looks sooooooo good! I've never had mint chocolate chip cheesecake but it sounds absolutely amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also love cheesecake, chocolate and peppermint so this one is for me with little doubt in my mind. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great immagination! I never would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely cheesecake :) I like the filling a lot, I like sweets with mint flavour :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG it looks soooo good :-)
    I LOVE cheesecake, this is af funky version, I'll have to try it....

    My best,
    Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anything that contains chocolate is good for me. The addition of mint gives an extra kick to it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my this looks amazing! Ok I dont like cheesecake BUT I love mint chocolate anything so Im thinking this is a win for me! : ) looks so darn good!

    p.s. Tire trouble gone! I went and got air put it in at a oil change place, and hair appt this afternoon now instead of this morning ! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! This is the one I voted for! Mint chocolate chip anything is my favorite, so this cheesecake definitely has be salivating :) Mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chocolate and cheesecake- two of my favorites, together as one :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Uh oh- better not show the husband this one!! He will make me make it this minute! Mint chocolate is his absolute favorite! But I will get my fair share of this yummy looking cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my heaven! This is perfection on so many levels! This must be tried!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How positively delectable! And very unique - I've never seen this flavor in a cheesecake either but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I lover your cheesecake and the recipe sounds so delicious! Thank you for participating in this months YBR! (Please you need to add a badge or the button somewhere on your blog. It's a requisite to participate. Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow this is fantastic, and a great entry for YBR...just delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I saw your cheescake entry in YBR and I simply felt in love with it. Yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ow, this is truly mouthwatering! How I wish I can eat this recipe this week. As of now, I only eat soft foods. Most of the time, I eat soups. I had my dental implants in Los Angeles and my dentist advised to avoid eating solid foods for 1 to 2 weeks. Well, I'll just keep this link so I can cook this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love mint chocolate! *drools all over keyboard*

    ReplyDelete
  30. Omg this is just amazing..love the recipe totally.. my mouth is literally drooling.

    pavithra
    www.dishesfrommykitchen.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails