Friday, September 16, 2011

Grilled Grilled Ham & Cheese

For some reason I wanted some grilled corn too...
Happy Friday!  It's been an extremely long day and I'm ready to kick my feet up and put in a Netflix movie.  And I might just be in a cruel enough mood to make Andy watch a chick flick with me.  Yes, the perks of domestic bliss.

I grew up eating grilled cheese, but never understood why it was called "grilled" cheese.  I mean, I only knew of it being cooked in a frying pan - never a grill.  Then I saw Nick from Macheesmo do this.  And I was instantly inspired to do the same! 

Ingredients:


Bread
Cheddar cheese
Spinach
Ham slices
Softened butter

There's not really much to this.  And you don't necessarily have to use the ingredients I did - it's just the sandwich I was feeling at the time.

Light a charcoal grill. 

Butter one side of two slices of bread.  Place one slice on the grill, butter-side down, over moderate heat and top with cheese, spinach, ham, and another slice of cheese.  Then top with remaining piece of bread, butter-side up. 

Grill for about 2-3 minutes, or until grill marks appear and side is golden brown.  Flip over and grill for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Slice in half and enjoy!


Seriously, this was awesome.  Even better than actual grilled cheese.  Don't believe me?  Try it out and let me know!

Have a great weekend guys!  I'm super pumped because we're getting a new couch!  Yeah, you know you're getting old when you can be excited about furniture! 

24 comments:

  1. Woot woot for grilled cheese! This is some serious eats here :-) Have a great weekend and enjoy your new couch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who doesn't love a good grilled cheese sandwich?! I like how you made this more interesting by adding the ham and spinach! And it is totally a Netflix kind of night in my house too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love grilled ham and cheese... good food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool are you?! You GRILLED the grilled cheese...that's too cool for school! I absolutely LOVE IT! Thanks for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet those bread slices were nice and crispy! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would loves to have a big bite, yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this an outdoor griller? Looks fun to cooking in the open :) One of my fave food...

    ReplyDelete
  8. good point on the grilled cheese,i cook on frying pan all the time,i don't eat ham but these look good,have a nice weekend :)
    Ridwn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice simple meal Peggy, fantastically grilled.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny that I would have never thought to make a "grilled" cheese sandwich on the "grill"! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grilled cheese! On a grill! Now that's just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My family always called them 'toasted cheese sandwiches' - I ordered that once in a cafe when I was a kid - got a cheese sandwich on toast - bleh! Now yours look outrageous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like spinach in my sandwiches too. Your combination of ingredients sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heck ya! I'm always down with an excuse to fire up my grill :) This looks amazing! Love the spinach addition, so green and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhhhh Netflix! ... and actual grilled grilled cheese! Sounds like the perfect night to me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely presentation
    hope you had a lovely weekend
    regards Akheela
    torviewtoronto and createwithmom

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that this is on a real grill! I can't believe I haven't tried that yet! Do I see a this for a lunch this week? Oooooh yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grilled cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods, but I never thought of why it wasn't grilled or grilled it myself either. Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These BBQ sandwiches are absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very clever Peggy making you grilled cheese on the grill; love this.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  21. You always have the best cooking ideas and inspirations--DEFINITELY off to buy some Tofurkey ham slices--I have a package of vegan mozzarella just waited to be melted into a sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How awesome are you?! You GRILLED the grilled dairy products...that's too awesome for school! I definitely LOVE IT! Thanks for that one!
    buying rs gold

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails