Friday, September 2, 2011

Steamed Salmon w/ Greens, Corn, & Pickled Vegetables


Happy Friday guys!

We've got a big Labor Day weekend planned, too!  Our great friends Ike & Becca are getting married tomorrow - so congrats to the future Lehrs! 

Sunday, we'll probably head out to World Fest - which showcases the cultural diversity of Louisville by food, music, and shops!  We went last year and had a great time, so looking forward to that one! 

Still don't have any Labor Day plans, but if all else fails, I know we'll be lounging around - which is good enough for me!  Anyway, let's get to today's dish!

We haven't been eating a lot of red meat around these parts.  I don't know why, we've just been opting for lighter meals.  Salmon is always a favorite of ours, and when I saw this simple dish over at Joanne's Eats Well With Others, I knew I had to try it out!


Ingredients:
Adapted from Eats Well With Others' Recipe


1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1-inch thick slice of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1/2 cup kale, chopped
1/2 cup spinach
1/2 cup mizuna greens
1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus extra for drizzling
2 6 oz. salmon fillets
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups fresh corn
pickled vegetables

In a large skillet under medium high heat, add both oils.  Add the ginger and garlic powder.  Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add kale, spinach, mizuna, soy sauce, and 3 tablespoons of water.  Saute until the greens start to wilt, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Spread the greens in an even layer in the skillet.  Season the salmon with salt and pepper and place the fillets on top of the greens in the skillet.  Cover pan and lower heat to medium.  Steam fish for about 5-7 minutes, or until just cooked through. 

You can choose to cook your corn if you'd like, but I'm weird and I like the taste of raw corn.  Divide corn among two plates and top with salmon fillets.  Serve alongside the greens and pickled vegetables.  Drizzle additional sesame oil, soy sauce, and/or remaining steam liquid in pan (it was infused with the garlic and ginger, so it's tasty!).


This was a great meal.  Andy and I both had our plates cleaned on this one.  That's a sure sign of a winner there!

Hope you guys have a great holiday weekend and I'll be back Monday!

33 comments:

  1. This looks really good. We like salmon alot too. I've never heard of mizuna greens; I'll have to keep my eye out for them.

    August was super busy for us, so I am happy that our Labor Day Weekend plans include staying at home and relaxing! The best way to spend a weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really delicious. Salmon is one of those food items that makes me giddy. Mizuna greens are a new to me ingredient. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing---this looks awesome! I love salmon and need more of it in my life :)
    Have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband eats a lot of salmon, but he almost always pan fries it. This looks delicious and would be a nice change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love salmon! Especially smoked :P Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at all those delicious colors! Have fun at the wedding. We finally have nothing planned this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of us could eat salmon at every meal (well until we get fed up with it LOL) this sound really yummy. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fish looks gorgeously pinkish orangy... Lovely and delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks pretty savory. I could prepare that for a diet party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun at World Fest! Sounds like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, gosh, I really want your dinner? Can we swap???? Have a fabulous weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  12. An absolutely stunning dinner! So far, your weekend sounds like it's shaping up nicely! Have a great time at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peggy, what a great looking dish. The pickled vegetables must add such an interested dimension when contrasting with the fish. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love pairing salmon with greens. I bet the pickled vegetables added a nice well rounded dimension to the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely salmon, cooked to the right texture. You have a nice weekend and have fun at the world fest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so fresh and awesome; great with greens, and I still can't get enough corn! My squeeze & I have been rounding out the summer by eating as much seafood as humanly possible -- I'll have to add this to the list of upcoming fishy dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love salmon, especially steamed or grilled (so that it loses some of its fat)... and this recipe seembs just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Steamed salmon is one of my favourites anytime...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh! PERFECT recipe for me -- I just picked up a TON of salmon at BJ's! Now I know exactly how I'm going to use it! I love the looks of this recipe :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. This salmon is looking really mouth-watering and is something am craving for now!! Really a great recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lounging around sounds perfect for Labor Day! I love salmon but I never think to make it very often. I think I need to buy some and try this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a huge fan of salmon and this has me wishing for it now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope you have a great time -- enjoy the long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks like a great healthy and delicious option for dinner - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. coz I'm seldom have migrain so I have to eat salmon atlest 1 a week, I love salmon & the steam one is sound great & healty!
    Tq for sharing the recipe with us peggy!
    Healthy & good lookign salmon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a nice meal. I really like your blog. Happy long week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this healthy and delicious dish. Salmon is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Delicious salmon, yummy. I had a cute triple award waiting for you at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I need to find a way to learn about local festivals and things before they pass so that Handsome and I can start to get out more ;) World fest sounds like a bash. This dinner looks solid and filling. I am missing a fish dish in our menu this week but it looks like I need to switch things up!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My family love salmon and this looks easy and delicious! How nice you get mizuna! I don't think I find it in my nearest Japaense supermarket! I have some recipes that I want to make with mizuna... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. So gorgeous and ridiculously healthy! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ok I just had to share this with you. The other day I was wondering whether anyone ever eats raw corn, and then I look at this recipe because I love salmon, and here's my answer! The salmon looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails