Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Spicy Pickled Carrots & Asparagus


I've been dying to pickle something ever since the summer began.  Cucumbers, Okra, Radishes... you name it, I wanted to pickle it.  Did I ever get around to pickling those things?  Well, no.  Life got in the way.

But I did manage to do a quick pickle on some leftover carrots and asparagus that turned out great!  We used these on tacos, as accompaniment to salmon, and even ate them straight out of the jar.  Not bad for a first timer, if I do say so myself.


What's your favorite vegetable to pickle?

Ingredients:
Adapted from Apt. 2B Baking Co.'s Recipe


1 lb. carrots, peeled and julienned
about 10 asparagus spears, cut into 1 inch pieces
10 Thai chiles, split in half
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 cup warm water

In a medium bowl, combine carrots, asparagus, 2 teaspoons of sugar, and salt.  Massage sugar and salt into vegetables until they because somewhat flexible.  Transfer to a colander and rinse with cold water.  Drain.

In another bowl, combine the remaining sugar, rice wine vinegar, and warm water.  Stir until sugar is dissolved. 

Tightly pack the drained carrots, asparagus, and chile peppers into pint-sized mason jars (I did 2 jam-packed jars).  Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables until about 1/2 inch from the top.  Seal jars and place in refrigerator overnight.

These were a quick pickle, so I'd say they would last no more than 3 weeks in the fridge.  Ours didn't last that long, since I pretty much served them with everything we ate!


I'm off to go play a night volleyball game and tomorrow I'm down for a road trip to Danville, KY where I'll be meeting up with a few other KY Food Bloggers.  Pictures to come!

24 comments:

  1. I have not tried pickled asparagus spears before. This is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. never tried pickling before but i have a feeling i wouldn't like it i'm not a fan of anything pickled except pickles themselves, love those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a fan of pickled stuff. But it sure does look pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bread and butter pickles. I have a recipe for spicy pickled corn that I want to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loves pickles, yours look so colourful. yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious looking pickle lovely for when the weather gets cooler

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pickling is on my list too. I love the bright colors of your pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, Peggy - these are AMAZING! I have to share my favorite pickled item. My foodie friend - Charlene? Her husband makes spicy pickled okra! It's crunchy (not slimy) and SO good, you can eat them like potato chips!

    Charlene also makes pickled shrimp for my hubby (I'm allergic) and he falls into a flavor coma when he has them. Of course, he has to hose himself down and no kisses, but he thinks it's worth it....they do look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh wow those pickles look great! I have always wanted to pickle some veggies but it seems intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful!!....I love the color!!....My favourite pickle?....small onions in red wine vinegar....yummy!!.....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have had masses of courgettes and I just love courgette pickle. If you make enough it lasts well, but they get eaten quite quickly in this house as well! Last year I was overrun with cucumbers so it was cucumber pickle then. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pickle Peggy, I did not know that Thai chillies are also popular at your place, thought its only the Asian who cannot live without it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pickled asparagus is a new taste for me. But I make time and prepare it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are the kinds of pickes we make! We don't can anything that will actually last...just drown things in vinegar and spices and eat them for a few days. Our favourite is vinegar with crushed garlic. It's soooo good for dipping fish/meat (hubby) or tofu (me).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not much of a pickler, but your photos look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks great. There used to be this place in Pennsylvania when I lived there that had an appetizer of picked carrots, cucumbers, cauliflower, and asparagus just like this. Instead of bread they served this. It was fantastic. Looks so vibrant and colorful! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My favorite pickled veggie is beets. I would love to give these a try. I really love pickled asparagus. This looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never tried to pickle anything :( I know that's sad. These look great too! I love pickled stuff. Okra is my have though :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Peggy, this looks great! The colors are so elegantly contrasted! Sounds like delicious flavors to let meld for awhile too... Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love pickles, and carrot pickles.. yumm and this sounds simple and looks so pretty and colorful!! nice!Thanks for dropping by my blog!!
    Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummy! I love pickled veggies... I think my favorite would have to be cauliflower and carrot... I love your jars of pickles... colorful, and delicious, for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. looks beautiful, i love all kinds of pickles. nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never had picked vegetables (that weren't in something that I didn't know about). I have recently wanted to try them because I'm seeing them a lot of recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I'm back from my vacation and catching up on all I missed. The first and only thing I have pickled so far is green beans, but they were very good, simple to make, pretty to look at and fun to post about so all in all it was a very satisfactory adventure.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails