Monday, August 29, 2011

Secret Recipe Club: Fish Tacos


I know what you're thinking.  I already had my turn.  I was in Group A that posted earlier this month for The Secret Recipe Club.  Now I'm just being greedy.

But no, I'm actually being helpful!  I got an e-mail at the beginning of the month, that somebody from Group C had backed out, leaving a blogger without a "Secret" partner.  And being that last month, I happened to be a blogger that had someone back out on me (and thank goodness Winnie from Healthy Green Kitchen stepped up to volunteer to do another post - she's awesome!), I knew I had to step up and pay it forward!

And it turns out I got one of my favorite blogs - Kelly from Eat Yourself Skinny!  Everything always looks good on Kelly's blog, whether it be her Grilled Chicken Thighs with Pineapple, Corn, and Bell Pepper Salsa or her Watermelon Martinis - there's something for everyone there.  And you know what the best part is?  Most, if not all, of Kelly's recipes are absolutely figure friendly and healthy for you!  You know how I know?  She includes all of the nutritional info with all of her posts, which is always helpful!

With so many choices, it was hard to pick what to make - but I eventually settled on her Sauteed Tilapia Tacos w/ Grilled Peppers & Onions.  Fish tacos are my absolute fave, and I believe it is essential that they grace everyone's table at least once during the summer!  I made a couple small changes, just based on things that I already had on hand - I used flounder as my fish and utilized my purple peppers from our CSA, as well as adding a little Asian flare with the Ginger Miso dressing (I'm obsessed right now!).

Ingredients:
Adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny's recipe



1 small onion, sliced
2 purple bell peppers, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
2 large flounder fillets (about 1/2 lb.)
6 corn tortillas
Ginger Miso Dressing (I bought some from a local sushi joint - but you could easily make your own!)

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet under medium high heat.  Add onions and bell pepper and cook until starting to soften, about 6-8 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Remove from skillet and set aside.

Season flounder on both sides with salt and pepper.  Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the same skillet used for onions and bell pepper (if needed) under medium high heat.  Add flounder and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until fish is white throughout.

Place tortillas on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a semi-damp paper towel.  Microwave for about 15 seconds, or until warm.

Flake off the flounder and divide amongst the tortillas.  Top with onion and bell pepper mixture.  Then add a little bit of ginger miso dressing on top, if desired.  Fold up and enjoy!

These were seriously delicious!  And I felt good eating them!  Although, my changes probably made them a little less healthy than Kelly's.


And funny story about these tacos.  I had eaten 2 out of the 3 when I had to get up from the table and get something from another room.  When I came back, my last taco was gone.  I looked at Andy and said "where's my taco?!"  He shrugged his shoulders, and then we both saw Zappa (one of our dogs), licking his chops on his bed, and a little piece of corn tortilla by his paw - the dog stole my taco!  And apparently he liked it too!

Anyway, these were tasty, and I can't wait to try more goodies from Kelly's blog!

Want to join in all the fun?  To find out how, check out The Secret Recipe Club!


41 comments:

  1. How nice of you to step in and post again :)
    These look really yummy! I'm going to check out her site---I love food/recipe posts that give the nutritional info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a lover of flounder there is no doubt that O would love this. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you go wrong with Fish Tacos? (Okay..there is possibility...but not with these!) I have never made flounder. Need to get on that, and step away from tilapia. :) Good pick this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay you got my blog!!! Great job on these, flounder sounds delicious too!! Hopefully one day I'll get your blog and get to make one of your amazing dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fish tacos! Looks delish...thanks for sharing!

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice! I WAS thinking when I saw your post, "Hey! but then I knew you filled in. Way to step up! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fish tacos!.....and your dog loves them too!!....they must be good!!....I like the idea of ginger miso dressing!!.....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never tried fish tacos before. Your recipe sounds very tasty. I think I will give it a try soon...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fish taco are heaven, especially if you are a dog?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see this recipe so often; I just have to try it. Your Secret Recipe Club keeps calling me; I just have to look it up.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was great that you stepped up to volunteer. Great SRC pick. These tacos look so delicious. I love a good fish taco but have been disappointed the past couple of times I've ordered them out. Great recipe to follow and make at home instead. Good enough for the dog too. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so love fish tacos! These look amazing Peggy! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband would go nuts over these fish tacos. Great SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fish tacos are so delicious. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those tacos look great!

    Very funny that your dog grabbed your last taco. My dog Abby would do something like that in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have recently become fish taco fans so I am looking forward to trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are big fans of fish tacos! This recipe sounds simple but flavorful. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great SRC choice again, they look delicious.


    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A" ~ SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  19. At first I did a happy dance to see you in my group - then I realized that wasn't the case - Then I did a happy dance that you stepped up for Kelly. Her post today for SRC was awesome so it's only fair she get some awesomeness in return! And you are the perfect lady to bring it!
    Now lets talk tacos - BF and I are trying to learn to love fish tacos, but they are so different from our normal taco that he is slow to accept them. Plus, he likes to mash his fish for fear of bones. Apparently, he was stuck one too many times as a child. These look wonderful and we will have to try them though - he will just have to toughen up. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohhh I love Kelly's blog too! Isn't it amazing? And these fish tacos look delicious!!! Great SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, yum!!! These look great! So glad you're in Group C...fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Kelly's blog and I love fish tacos!! A hit all the way around. These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum! Lots of good SRC recipes today. We love fish tacos and I am actually planning on making them this week. These look good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love fish tacos! Yours look delicious! And what a great blog to get to pick from!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so good... I can barely get my one post up on time! The tacos look great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad you paid it forward! Have a soft spot for fish tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I remember when Kelly made these fish tacos! I also was just on her site and she wrote that she was headed off to see who got her name. I love this recipe club! GREAT job (as always - you rock)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I also remember these tacos from Kelly's site - I agree, she makes everything so healthy and I have to think of what I eat everyday. Your fish tacos look delicious. It's only recent that I prefer fish tacos. yours look perfect, Peggy!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow! the secret recipe club sounds fun! and the food looks addictive!

    greetings from singapore, the sunny island in asia!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This fish taco sounds delicious and easy to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm not the only one with a thieving pet! LOL! One of my kitties stole some homemade smoked salmon right off the kitchen table once. He made off with it and had it to himself! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Zappa couldn't resist such a delicacy, no one can't. Your taco looks really delicious. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great Lent recipe. And great SRC recipe too. thanks for sharing. I bookmarked for later.

    ReplyDelete
  34. My hubby will simply drool over this, what more with fish added in.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love fish tacos!! I especially love that you used flounder. How unique! I normally don't see that.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oooo, I want to make these tacos for my nana. She HEARTS fish tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your blog is so cute! Love the name & the header too. This tacos sounds awesome! Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post for September :) http://su.pr/1Sizv9
    Also: I would love if you added this and any other links to my "Happy Post" today. http://su.pr/1bZ8fp

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your site is wonderful. I’m so satisfied to have discovered you.I appreciate to this one.
    digit emb

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails