Friday, August 5, 2011

Beets & Bowties


It's Friday!  And boy am I glad!  The week seemed to fly by, but it definitely had it's ups and downs.  But now that it's Friday, I'm looking forward to getting my 8-hour shift at work over with and on to my weekend off! 

I plan on hitting up the Farmer's Market, getting some sushi with friends, and possibly kicking Andy's butt in a round or two of tennis.  Full of myself much?  Yeah, maybe just a little. 

Anyway, on to today's post.

Andy doesn't like beets.  We kept getting beets in our CSA for a few weeks, and while I didn't mind, Andy was getting a little perturbed.  But what's a good fiancee to do in moments like these?  Well, I force-feed.  I couldn't let the beets go to waste just because he claims not to like them!  I honestly think deep down, he actually adores them - but just doesn't want to admit it.  Why?  Because I'm pretty sure he ate this pasta without any complaints - and it's chock full of beets.

Ingredients:
Adapted from Jeanette's Healthy Living's recipe


5-7 small to medium-sized beets, cleaned (I used a combo of golden and red)
1 cup water
1/4 cup roastes peanuts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
8 oz. farfalle pasta
1 cup shredded mozzarella
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Place beets in a medium sized baking dish and add cup of water.  Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes, or until beets have softened and can cut easily.

Let cool until safe enough to handle.  Peel away skin with a paring knife or your hands (don't be afraid to get messy).

Cut beats into 1/2 inch cubes.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.  Cook pasta until al dente.  Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water and drain.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil until shimmering.  Saute onions on medium heat for about 15-18 minutes.  Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute or so.

Stir in balsamic vinegar and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.

Add pasta to the pan and mix well.  Add mozzarella and stir until melted.  Stir in additional pasta water if desired.

Season with salt and pepper.  Garnish with roasted peanuts.


This was definitely one of my better beet dishes.  And don't worry - I'm not through with beets yet.  I've got something special coming up next week... you won't be sorry =)  And you may think I'm evil, but that's nothing new!  I'll keep you in suspense until then.

Have a safe weekend everybody!

34 comments:

  1. LOOKS GREAT!!!! There is a show on Food Network I cannot remember the girls name but she is a chef and she made a beet pasta recipe and I cannot wait to try your recipe!! I am more inclined to do it if "real" people make it not these fancy shmancy chefs!!!

    Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really yummy. There were a few things my husband said he did not like when we first got married. Blue cheese and olives being the main ones. I told him if he tried he could acquire a taste for them, he poo pooed this at the time but I was right, he now eats everything including blue cheese and olives LOL. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome color. Looks yum... Would finish the whole plate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love beets, so this recipe is really attracive; what a great combination. Your new header is so cute. I now want to go for an icecream cone.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say a very pretty and delicious looking pasta dish. I love beets but somehow its always a challenge to feed them to my family. Will for sure try out this one. Thanks for visiting my blog dear, I really appreciate all the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this recipe SO much, but there is no way in any world that my hubby would touch it. Unfortunately beets are not his thing!I am going to try it by myself though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colour -- almost too pretty to eat! (I said almost)...Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love beets! Such flavour and colour. I always eat them raw...maybe it's time to start branching out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - Looks delish. My hubby and I adore beets! What a lovely, unusual way to present them - and I would go back for seconds! As usual...this is a winner. ....and the pictures are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that was a beautiful looking dish. Loved the photos!

    I love beets in any form. Very funny comment about 'force feeding' your fiance beets :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would inhale this! I love these kinds of pasta dishes, it sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this color... I would probably have to force-feed my husband this too! But I love beets... And I love the fact that this recipe has peanuts! Yummy... Great recipe, Peggy! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the color the beets give this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, that looks good. I love beets. I never thought to put them in pasta and with peanuts, but it sounds so good! I wish I could force feed my hubby. If he doesn't like something he makes himself some toast instead :( So sad. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love beet in pasta dishes! Actually had some for dinner last night...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like you have a lovely weekend ahead of you...and this dish was so much to say and to look at! Thank you for sharing such a delicious meal with me today. I hope you have a beautiful Saturday...and stay cool! Much love from Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always force feed the people I love. It's the only way I can get them to eat their veggies!

    This pasta looks delicious and I bet it would make even ME like beets.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm alway looking for new past and this sounds delicious. As a kid, I couldn't stand beets, but love 'em now! Thx for stopping by my blog- your baked eggs sound delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh this dish looks so pretty. I have never had beets this way but I think I am going to give it a trt!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how interesting!! And creative! I love beets and this is definitely a way to get others to eat them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. great recipe for beets have a good weekend, and you guys are so cute

    ReplyDelete
  22. i think i know what's going on... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lol @force feed!! That is the #1 rule of getting your man to eat something he doesn't like/thinks he won't like/and for you to not cook something else ( that will just spoil him!)
    This recipe looks and sounds delicious!! YUMMY =]

    ReplyDelete
  24. beets are giving a beautiful colour to this delicious looking pasta

    ReplyDelete
  25. I only like beets roasted... love that you paired them with pasta! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. These pink bows are so lovely. I always love the tangy vinegary taste of beet cooked in balsamic vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think he says he does not like it because it is pink! Probably has nothing to do with beets :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like the sound of it.. beet and bows. Although I've not really tried beets before. I tend to think they are slightly bitter. I must really try this, so broaden my pallette. They are just pretty! Thanks for stopping by my blog too. Cheers, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  29. lovely platter and hey I loved the header pictures !!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Force feed?...hmmmm...I think that's a great idea for my family too...lol.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh...wow...feeling like reaching out n taste the whole..:P
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh how much I missed your blog! See, when I was gone I miss something like this delicious meal. ;-) I love beets and this looks fantastic!!!! I never thought of adding beets in pasta. I might cheat and use Trader Joe's ready to use beets instead... looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have the same problem: while I enjoy beets my husband doesn't. I have made them a couple of times in ways he seemed to like so I am sure it is more of a mental aversion but then the next time he'll say he doesn't like them again. I am going to try this recipe. What a beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails