Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Stewed Tomatoes & Okra


Okra is one of those things that I don't cook enough of.  Actually... this would be the first dish I ever used okra in.  And after eating it for lunch for the past two days, I think I can pat myself on the back because it was pretty darn good!  And it definitely won't be the last time I make it either!

What's your favorite way to use okra?

Ingredients:


15 oz. can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 cups sliced okra
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups cooked rice

Place the okra in a medium-sized pot and add enough water to cover the okra.  Add diced tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil.  Lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, or until okra is softened and the majority of liquid is gone.


I've noticed that different people like okra at different consistencies.  I'm not a fan of crunchy okra, so I cooked my okra until it took on the texture it has in gumbo - soft, but not gummy.


When the liquid is almost gone, add in the rice and mix well.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve hot.


This was really easy and tasty!  I mean, 4 ingredients, how can you beat that?!  This would make a great side, or even a delicious vegetarian lunch or dinner.




I know I'm my usual late self, but like I said last week - sporting events prevail! 


And as of tomorrow's post, I won't have the usual CSA round-up - but something really special is lined up - so be sure to check back!



17 comments:

  1. That looks like a yummy one pot meal. Nice flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice way to cook okra! This is delicious. I like my okra cooked in the South East Asian style with lots of sambal chilli. Looking forward to see your post for tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not normally big on okra, but this really does look like something special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love almost all dishes over rice, but okra's especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! And I love that it's all in one pot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your okra recipe gave me some idea on what I can cook this weekend taking into consideration my heavy weekend working at home schedule, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People tend to either love or hate okra and I'm definitely a LOVER! Have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks really good.. it looks like the kind of food i grew up eating.. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love okra! I love that this recipe is so quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. While it looks absolutely beautiful (just like everything else you make...), I just can't do okra. The sliminess just...gah. I can't. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love okra! This looks like a delicious and hearty meal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love okra! Breaded and fried is my favorite way to eat it, but since I can't do that every day, this looks like a pretty darn good healthy substitution :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cook okra with sambal or curry, the Malaysian way. You can also stuff it with fish paste then pan fry it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks delish! I have only had okra a couple times, and it was just fried. I liked it but this looks way better :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor okra gets no love around here and I think when cooked properly its delicious. This dish looks super comforting and yummy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails