Friday, August 12, 2011

Sweet Chili Green Beans


Happy Friday everybody!

I'm so ready for the weekend (I've got to work Saturday morning, but it ain't no thang!).  We've got a couples bridal shower to go to, so that should be fun.  And then some major relaxation is in the works for Sunday and Monday!

Now I used to think I had a favorite green bean recipe.  I mean, it's all the rage on Food52, too.  But my friends, I think there's a new contender in town.  This was so good I ate it with my hands.  Yeah... that good.  So good, if I ever do open up my own restaurant - this will be an appetizer for sure.

Ingredients:


1 lb. green beans, trimmed
4 strips of bacon, chopped
1 onion, thinly sliced
1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
3 thai chiles, minced
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1/4 c. water
sesame oil, optional

toasted black sesame seeds, optional

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add green beans and cook for about 3 minutes, or until beans are a bright green.  Drain and set aside.

In a large skillet over medium to medium high heat, cook the bacon until crisp, about 5 to 8 minutes.  Drain on paper towel-lined plate and set aside.  Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease from the pan and add onion.  Cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Stir in the ginger, Thai chiles, sweet chili sauce, fish sauce, and water.  Add green beans and toss to coat. Saute for 5-10 minutes, until water evaporates, the sauce thickens, and the beans become tender.

Stir in bacon and sprinkle with sesame oil and sesame seeds.


Seriously, I couldn't stop eating this.  I'd walk by and grab a bean.  Then come back 2 seconds later and grab another couple.  Be prepared to have an addiction to these!

Have a great weekend guys!


41 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I make Asian green beans, but I think I'll try the chili sauce next time. (And bacon makes anything better!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pop of red from the chiles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love this recipe. They sound really interesting I will have to try this next time I plan on having green beans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Man... I am seriously sitting down and writing down the ingredients what I have in my pantry and what I need. This is on the menu this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fun way to use up the beans in the garden, I am beginning to look like a bean at the moment. Also have masses of chilies so they can both go into this recipe. Thanks Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm! Love that they're both spicy AND have bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, I love anything green beans! Gotta check out your asian green beans recipe--always my favorite item at trashy Chinese buffets :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peggy, with so many fresh beans at the Farmer's Market and in the garden its great to see a more unusual recipe to try out. This would make a great side to many meals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum yum, I loves green bean too. Yours looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks like it sings with flavor, bright too! lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks droolishous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy!! I so have to make this :-) Have a great weekend :-)

    All the best,
    Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet chili sauce + bacon + beans? Oh, my, yum!!

    Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to spice up green beans. These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The addition of the sweet chili sauce sounds awesome! Have fun at your showers this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the spices and your pictures, Oh My!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dish looks so good. I love green beans, especially fresh ones. I am going to have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, wow! This is amazing! I agree...I'd be eating it with my hands, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks delicious! I love that bit of spice... and your photos take the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes, this recipe is already my favorite - there is sweet chili sauce in it!!!! This gotta be good. Totally bookmarked it and I'll give this a try for sure! Only problem is my husband is not a big fan of green beans (WHY!!!!!!!). But he can survive with one day no green. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Note to self - make this IMMEDIATELY. That sauce sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm always looking for some good vegetable recipes, this looks so good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like when you share veggie recipes. Your dessert recipes are always to die for, but I'm much more likely to actually try out the veggies. Mainly because it's less of an issue if I eat the whole thing in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't even have to taste this to know it would become an instant favorite of mine. I am bookmarking this now and going to make it the next time I decide to invite my neighbor over for dinner. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How not to drool over this recipe Peggy, the chillies oh my, we at home are big and great eaters of spicy and hot food.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi lovely...this looks like it could become a classic. I love spicy beans. Thank you for sharing this delicious veggie treat. I'm enjoying your pictures and your words with a cup of coffee in my hands and rolls rising on the counter. Hugs and love from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  27. HOOOOOT! That looks fantastic. I'm not gonna lie, I love me some bacon. It's a great way to get me to eat something green too :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. that looks beyond amazing- and I love how you've styled it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooh, I'm going to try something really similar to this tonight! Thanks for sharing...now I'm excited about dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am game for anything with bacon and chilli! We stir fry green beans with belacan chilli but I will definitely try your recipe beause it looks very tempting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The green bean stir-fry looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Green beans don't score high in my book but I would be willing to try these, at your restaurant:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the seasoning in this dish! Green bean and bacon...JUMMIE!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh I love green beans and we have them at least three times a week so I am so looking forward to trying this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'd say this looks like a pretty fierce contender. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, how wonderful! I love inventive ways to serve up veggies...and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like this recipe. There's lots of yummy flavors to spice up plain green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sweet Chili Sauce is one of my favorites!!!! LOVE it, and a plate full of veggies, what's not to love.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails