Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lemon-Blueberry Muffins


Okay, let's keep it real. 

I'm a person that strives to be the best.  I sometimes even claim to actually be the best.  But in all reality, in most situations - I'm just mediocre. 

But I'm still a competitive beast by nature.  And when things go wrong - I'm not a happy camper.

Take these muffins, for instance.  Yes, they look like normal blueberry muffins on the outside, but you know what?  I really made a big boo-boo on this one.  I forgot the sugar.

I mean... who the heck forgets the sugar?!  Maybe a novice baker.  Maybe a 10 year old.  But me?  This isn't my first baking rodeo.  I've made muffins a million times, and could probably make them with my eyes closed... or not.

It's times like these that I just have to laugh at myself.  One... for being an idiot and forgetting the sugar.  But two, because there are other things in life a little more important than some sugar in some muffins.  And because I was stubborn as all get out - I continued to eat these sugar-less muffins because I didn't want to waste them and admit defeat.  So really... maybe I did come out on top. 

So here's the recipe (as it was supposed to be, sugar-included).

Do you ever have one of those "DOH!" moments in the kitchen?  Feel free to make me feel better by saying I'm not the only one =) 

Ingredients:


2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar (don't forget it now!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
juice from 1 lemon
1 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 500 F.

Fill muffin tin with liners. 

Whisk flour, SUGAR, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.  Fold in blueberries.

In another medium bowl, beat buttermilk, eggs, oil, vanilla, and lemon juice until combined.

Mix liquid ingredients with dry ingredients until incorporated.

Fill muffin liners about 2/3 full.  Place in oven and immediately drop temperature to 400 F.

Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.


I even tried to salvage the muffins by making a quick glaze with some water and powdered sugar.  While it helped give a bit of a sweet note, it just wasn't the sweet note that permeated the entire muffin like that 1/2 cup of missing sugar would have given!  Oh well... There will be other muffin baking experiences to be had (hopefully including sugar next time)! 

I'm off to bed - See you guys tomorrow!

33 comments:

  1. Oh I have done that very thing before! They really do look delicious though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I did that once too. Sugar is pretty much the worst thing you can forget in muffins, I think. Thanks for sharing the recipe in spite of your failure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy, it still look delicious even thou you forgot the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can never go wrong with lemon and blueberry in my book. The muffins look fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great classic combo of lemon and blueberries! These look wonderful despite that the sugar was missing in action! The drizzle of icing just makes them look so pretty! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have baked pies before and wondering why they are not setting when I realized I forgot to add the eggs to the custard. Stuff happens we get pulled in too many directions, so make caramel dipping sauce and call it a day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops. And yep, we've all done that type of thing. I made a loaf of bread once... with no yeast. yeah, THAT turned out well. Or not. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are beautiful...I'm sorry you forgot the sugar. I made the most beautiful cream pie you've ever seen in your life! One of my very first. I was SO proud - as I was walking to the dining room with dessert - after playing it up to my guests (yes we had visitors)...I promptly dropped it on the floor! So - not only did we not get to eat it....it was a MESS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another tempting blueberries added recipe,must been amazing in taste. The next I manage to get blackberries here, I am going to try one of your recipes with this fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all have cooking disasters...and it is good to read about other bloggers too. It keeps things real. They are probably good if eaten with jam like scones,no? And doesn't it bug you, by the way, when someone leaves a comment and you can tell they didn't even read the post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sugar added or not they are still beautiful. I love the color, it makes them look so light and fluffy. I think they would go perfectly with my coffee right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love me a muffin with some glaze on it. Wish I could be enjoying this for breakfast instead of my granola bar in the car to work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yeah...I goof up more than I care to admit. Your muffins certainly are beautiful...and I bet lovely with the full amount of sugar :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. *shouting mode* YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE!!..I've started a fire and burned my oven when I was being greedy by putting way too much butter filling on my buns, almost tripped on my pug dogs and cracked my skull open when I went running trying to open doors and windows and that 2 rascals went walkabouts as to them, door wide open means an invitation for adventure.You feel better now?...lol.Anyway, I'm bookmarking this recipe but I'll probably will include the sugar:D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Finally a sugar free muffin =) Since it is not sweet you can now spread all kinds of stuff on top or even use them for bread pudding (and this time add the sugar). With or without sugar they turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How disappointing! They really are pretty though. Could you chop them up and make some kind of a trifle with them?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have enough of my post-Depression-Grandmother in me that I would have eaten them too. Waste not, want not! I would have just told myself they were healthier and chomped away!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice combination of flavors. Looks yum. Feel like grabbing one now

    ReplyDelete
  19. This will make you feel better: http://www.theworldinmykitchen.com/2010/12/international-blogger-holiday-cookie.html. :-) My ability at figuring out butter proportions is terrible! Your muffins look delicious, at least!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They still look super delicious and I think it's awesome that you can laugh at yourself AND let the whole world know about your little mistake! :-) I've had some awful moments in the kitchen myself, with entire meals gone way south...making my dog very happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah-haha, so glad I'm not the only one who leaves out important things! And then insists on eating the results anyway! I am a notorious forgetter of baking powder/soda, but I will eat those flat/rock hard baked goods, texture be-damned! (Yeah, you'd think after the first or second time I'd learn to pay more attention). That said, lemon and blueberry are sooo good in muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are lovely muffins, even without the sugar. That is so cute that you made a glaze! :) Lemon and blueberry are a delicious combo...this recipe sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How pretty! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Don't worry, Peggy. It can happen to anyone! :)
    Your muffins look perfect though! I wouldn't mind sprinkling sugar on it while eating it.(^.^)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look So delicious, I'd love one for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am sooo groowing on the blueberry-lemon combo right now! Your muffins look tasty...Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh no!!! It happens to the best of us! How did they taste sans sugar???

    ReplyDelete
  28. I admire your "Quick Thinking"...by giving these sugarless muffins...a quick sugar glaze! The sugar glaze actually makes the muffins look very inviting. I might "steal" your idea of reducing the sugar content of my muffins but make an appealing glaze to compensate the missing sugar...

    ReplyDelete
  29. We all make mistakes in the kitchen that is for sure! They look so pretty considering you left out a major ingredient. I love the idea of lemon and a glaze with a blueberry muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was making some cookies one time, and totally not paying attention so I added the salt, and then added the salt, and then again, I added the salt. And while I like salted caramels quite a bit, salted chocolate chip cookies are not the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oooh yeah, I make those mistakes all the time... More often that I can publicly admit. ;) Things always turn out though. Just like these muffins, they are looking fine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. All the time. Last one was soaking my last sheet of leaf gelatine in hot water. I reached in to grab it and squeeze it- and it was gone. I'd set a cup of plain hot water well on its way to becoming jelly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails