Friday, September 23, 2011

Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars



Hello Fall!  And hello Friday!

I just have to make it until the end of my shift tonight and I've got one sweet week of vacation.  It's another stay-cation, but there's loads of things planned next week!

First off, it'll be my first week of Culinary School, which I've already told you has me in an emotional rollercoaster - but it's for the best!  And then there's my big meeting with the executive chef at a local restaurant - another thing to make me a nervous nelly!  And then there's a haircut - a much needed haircut. 

Maybe in the midst of all of that I can get myself to do some wedding planning!  We'll see...

I made these last week for a co-worker's birthday.  She loved them and I hope you guys will too!

Ingredients:
Adapted from Zoom Yummy's Recipe


Crust:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, slightly chilled and cubed

Filling:

16 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 teaspoons
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping:

1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, slightly chilled and cubed
1 cup flour
about 10-15 caramels
1-2 tablespoons heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350F.

To make the crust, combine flour and brown sugar in a medium bowl.  Cut the butter into the mixture with your fingers or a fork until the mixture is crumbly.

Press the dough into a 9x13 inch pan in an even and flat layer.  Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Set aside.

Make the filling by beating cream cheese and 1/2 cup of sugar in a large bowl.  Add eggs, one at a time, until just incorporated.  Stir in vanilla until just combined.

In a small bowl, combine the apples with the cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of sugar.  Let sit for about 1-2 minutes, then gently fold into cream cheese mixture.

Pour the batter over top of the warm crust.

Make the topping by combining the oats, flour, and brown sugar.  Cut the butter into the mixture until it is chunky and crumbly.

Top the cream cheese mixture with an even layer of the topping.  There's a lot of it (which I love!) so don't be afraid to go crazy.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until cream cheese mixture is set and topping is a nice golden brown.

Make your caramel topping by combing the caramels with heavy cream in a thick microwave-safe bowl.  Heat in 20-30 second increments, stirring really well after each time.  Be careful because it can go from nice and creamy to burnt in a matter of seconds.  I don't think I heated mine up for any more than 45-60 seconds.  Just keep stirring and the residual heat will melt the unmelted caramels!

Drizzle caramel topping over cheesecake.


I found that the bars were easier to cut after being refrigerated for a little bit, about an hour or so.  Cut into desired sized bars and be prepared to watch these disappear quickly!

All the flavor of a caramel apple in a nice convenient fall-inspired bar!

Happy weekend guys!

40 comments:

  1. These bars sound amazing. I would love to make these for my family. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know fall is nearly here, all the caramel apple and pumpkin posts appearing! These look so yummy, I need to pick some apples up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caramel + cheesecake? A winning combination.

    I get so nervous before big meetings but what a great chance to meet an executive chef!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS! I just made caramel apples and posted it...these look great! Why didn't I think of this? Apple and cheese goes great together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, lovely, lovely bars! Those look amazing. Good luck with culinary school!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How amazingly gooey and tasty these look! Glad to hear culinary school is rewarding so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Local exec chef?!! Sounds intriguing and exciting! Which chef? I'm anxious to follow you on your culinary school adventure. I'd love to do that someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My you are a busy bee! I am glad you found time to post these lovely bars. We all like cheesecake and with fall now on the caramel apple flavor is perfect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow! These delicious bars combine 3 of my favorite dessert components: cheesecake, apples and caramel!!! Triple score!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you’ve got an exiting week ahead of you! These apple bars look amazing! I’ve been thinking about making apple cake, but these sounds loads better! Hope you’ll have a great weekend and have fun with planning your wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at Caramel, then you threw in Apple and cheesecake. Wowie.. this look good. Have a good vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was nice of you to share the foods,what you create,I'm sure they enjoy it,these apple chesecake bars,sound like dessert that I like,Rich and yummy,,,goodluck for school and meeting with the chef !!
    Ridwan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yummy!!! I wish I was your co-worker, because this bars sound so delicious! Hope you get to relax this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A sweet way to celebrate falls and birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ZOMG, totally going to make these soon! Everyone's on a pumpkin and apple kick these days :-) Do you think it'd be alright if I just made my own caramel to pour on top? I hope you have an incredibly awesome week/vacation; it sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look amazing! Have a GREAT week off! I can't wait to hear all about culinary school!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These looks wonderful!!....but, I'm happy that you are following your dreams in the culinary school....all the best....and with the wedding too!!.......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, those look awesome! May I also suggest some crushed walnuts, pecans or almonds on top?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delicious looking desserts Peggy, I am like drooling over the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks wonderful!Gotta keep this one. YOu have been a busy girl; hope your interview went well.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  22. Holy heck!!! I need these... right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmmmm my mouth is just watering reading this! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can see why she loved these! They look too tempting. Thanks for sharing such a sweet and autumnal bite with me tonight. I hope you have a blessed and restful Sunday. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Totally saw these on zoomyummy and made them too! They were killer!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good luck on your first week at culinary school! It sounds like the start of a great big adventure! These bars look great and are a perfect way to say hello to fall!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! It doesn't get much better than cheesecake topped with caramel and apples! Good luck with your first week at culinary school!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oooooh !! these look brilliant , I got hooked when I saw cheesecake and this looks really delish , gotta try it and also good luck on your meeting and culinary school :) .

    ReplyDelete
  29. Apple and caramel...even the thought of this combination can make me drool.

    This cheesecake bars are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those look AMAZING! Definitely going to try make some one day when I have time :)

    Btw, can I just say that I love how you make everything look so beautiful on your blog.. I can almost taste it :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cheese cake & apples! Love it! ;)
    congratz with ur exciting things to do paggy - happy for u!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Peggy, these bars look yummy. What a delightful combination...apple, cheese and caramel! drooling already!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Peggy, these bars looks mouthwatering .....a caramel and cheesecake ahhh...super combo~.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yum! What a great fall dessert. I'm excited to hear more about your school adventures - are you doing a stage at that restaurant? So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Peggy, I’m Back From Finland, Arriving With Mr Angry Bird!

    Still can't believe my winnings. LOL! It's so nice to be greeted by your sweet bars. I want, I want!

    ReplyDelete
  36. These look wonderful! Great fall recipe! Hope your week is going well with culinary school :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. This looked so good I made them for a "second dessert" for our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. They were not only a hit but there are none left! Thank you for posting this GREAT recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your site is wonderful. I’m so satisfied to have discovered you.I appreciate to this one.
    digit emb

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails