Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fall Hash

Ahhh, did you miss me yesterday? 


I'm here this morning, so that should make up for it right?  I'm hoping that I can at least get you guys 3 posts a week, but we'll see.  I don't want to make promises I can't keep!

Anyway, first week of culinary school was awesome!  We got our whites on Saturday - check me out!


A natural, right?!  C'mon, just entertain me for a minute.

I spent the first week basically feeling everything out.  Seeing who was similar to me.  Seeing who was not similar to me.  It's definitely a lot to take in.  But I'm jumping into it with both feet and absorbing all that is thrown at me!  Next week, we get our knife kits (they're pretty bad ass if you ask me - I can practice "packing my knives and going" as if Padma, herself, was telling me.  Okay, now I'm getting really dorky!)

Anyway, I figure since I'm posting in the morning, I might as well give you a solid breakfast dish!  This is the second hash I've posted in the past couple weeks, so can you tell it's one of my favorite things to make?  They're easy.  They're versatile.  They're darn delicious!

Ingredients:


1 medium acorn squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
1 small onion, diced
salt & pepper, to taste

3 main ingredients?  How could you not make this?!

Set a salted pot of water to boil under medium heat.  Add acorn squash and boil just for a few minutes (maybe 4-5) to parboil.  Drain and set aside.

Heat a large cast iron skillet under medium high heat.  Add bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes or so.  Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. 

Remove all the bacon grease, except for about 1 to 2 tablespoons.  Add onions to skillet and cook under medium heat until starting to soften, about 5-7 minutes.  Add in acorn squash and cook until browned, about 5 minutes or so, and stirring occasionally.  Stir in bacon and season with salt and pepper, if needed.

You could serve this as a side dish, or you can eat a whole plateful like I did!  It's fall on a plate - I swear!


It'll probably be another day or so before I'm back, so until next time guys!

28 comments:

  1. You are adorable in your whites! That hash looks delish. I think I know what I'm gonna do with my acorn squash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are looking good in the white Peggy, wonderful to hear about your journey to the culinary path. Nice recipe you bet to start the day although I have to admit that I am not a breakfast person but will do good a light meal at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are adorable in your coat! I love breakfast hash too because it's so easy to just throw everything in one pan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was potatoes when I first saw the photo. You look great in your whites! Very fresh and professional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mm, I love hashes--and the idea to use squash! I'm not a huge fan of white potatoes, so usually use sweet--but squash is so easy to find right now! And snazzy new duds :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the cutest; love that you are sharing your exploits with us.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Peggy, you look great in the white coat...indeed very natural :-)
    Like the idea of using acorn for hash.
    Hope you are having a great week and looking forward to hear more about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. simple enough for my busy school days - on it! :) You look very snazzy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look very nice. Love this breakfast hash.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look very nice. Love this breakfast hash.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so the real deal. LOVE the jacket! (and LOVE this hash, Chef!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The has looks amazing...but you in chef whites looks even better! Yay! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Must be a lot to take in and also the most exciting thing! I took a class last Saturday at Johnson&Wales Charlotte and when I saw all those students in whites helping us, I remembered you!
    Good luck and cant wait to see how this blog transforms as you go through the school :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started reading the book The sharper your knife the less you cry, have you heard of it?

    Love this recipe! So healthy and tasty from the bacon, something to try!

    Looking forward to reading more about your culinary school adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Peggy, wow! You are going to a culinary school! So we will get to see gourmet cuisines here! I am so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Culinary duds look great on you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You in chef whites looks good. Congrats! The hash looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never treid acon squash (I thought it's potato with turmeric or curry powder haha) but this looks so easy like you said. It'll be a great weekend breakfast for sure!

    Now you look so cute in the chef whites (that's how you call this clothes?)! I can't wait to hear more about the school! Good luck and absorb everything!! ;-) I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Peggy, you look so cute and pretty in white jacket. Anyway the dish looks so appetizing and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your first day of culinary school! How exciting! I remember my first day like it was yesterday, you've now entered an elite club my friend lol. Looks like you had a wonderful breakfast before your big day. Thanks for sharing, let us know how your first day was! =]

    ReplyDelete
  21. congrats on your 1st week. I remember getting my knives was one of the best days of my life and building my collection continues to be one of my most cherished activities. I could never have a more valuable set of tools other than my hands.

    Whites are so traditional I'm more of a black coats person myself but a chef coat is a precious piece of clothing. Get used to living in them if you plan on chefdom for a while. hot sticky and big.

    Good luck with school! enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  22. The dish looks great! Congrats on your first week and uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look greta on your white uniform. The fall hash look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look great in your new whites! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Would love to know what Acorn Squash is in Australia would love to make this!! Sure my son would love it being a bacon fan. We have regular squash, Zucchini would that work?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails