Thursday, October 6, 2011

Indian-Spiced Lentils


This fall weather is a bit crazy.  It was a nice fall chill all last week, and now we're back to being in the 80's this week.  I just want my nice fall weather!

My half marathon is going to be here before I know it, and I've been a bad trainee.  I did something to my shoulder last weekend and it's ached all week, but starting to feel better.  So hopefully I can get back to running this upcoming weekend because I'm not going to have a very good time come October 30th if I don't!

Anyway, it's another soup-type recipe.  I've been working on slowly cleaning out my pantry for the past couple of weeks (it's nuts in there!) and noticed I had an abundance of lentils - so what better to do than make a quick curry or soup!  So I did a quick Google search and I was led to an Honest Cooking recipe that helped use up some of my CSA vegetables too!


Ingredients:
Adapted from an Honest Cooking recipe


1/2 cup french green lentils, washed
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
juice from 1 lemon

salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

1 white/yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup chicken stock 


In a medium pot, add lentils and cover with water.  Stir in tomatoes and tumeric.  Bring to a rolling boil and simmer until the lentils are soft and cooked, about 30 minutes. 

Heat olive oil in a large skillet under medium high heat until hot.  Add bell peppers and onions.  Cook until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.  Add garam masala and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with salt, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice.  Add lentil mixture and chicken stock. Bring to a slow boil and simmer for about 10 mins.


Serve with steamed rice.




Have a great Thursday guys!

26 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love indian spiced food...and lentils, mmm!
    Hope your shoulder recovers quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your half marathon! Injuries sucks! Last year I hurt my knee right before my half marathon, so I couldn't run it. But I was up to 10 miles in training, so it was very disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh yummy! Nice dinner for weekday night. I hope your shoulder gets better and good luck with half marathon! I can barely run 10 minutes... I know it's pretty pathetic! >_<

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm freezing cold, so I could certainly use a bowl of those right about now! It sounds like the perfect recipe for a crisp fall day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love lentils! I just made some spicy red lentils tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how I have not seen your blog before but I love it! Especially the name... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to hate lentils until recently, but they have been growing on me! I love the spices you used on these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM- YUM! I love lentils - so this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so perfect for this time of year! Hope your shoulder is feeling better! Good luck with the half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too eat my lentil soup with (basmati) rice! Always need something starchy with soup.
    The only difference in my recipe is that I ban chicken (or vegetable) stock and add celeri and carrot instead. I think stock confuses all flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I am amazed that you prepared such a lovely Indian recipe, great to see this and love the beautiful outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah... a soup at autum is a great "threat" for ur body and palate at the same time peggy and having a steamed rice with it is a great idea!
    enjoy ur autum there and take care of ur health ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never had a lentil soup,it's looks so good,make me want to try ,great photography too :)
    Ridwan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the combination of these spices. Could eat it anytime. You're going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never thought to put pepper with lentils I will bet that really gives them a great flavor... they sure look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum I love lentil soup! This looks perfect for fall (regardless of the temperature...). Good luck on the half marathon! Hope your shoulder feels better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to work on the pantry as well but I keep buying stuff! The stew-soup has autumn colors, so nice :)
    Better get on the road and keep training! Oct 30th will be here before you know it! I signed up for a fundraising climb to Pikes Peak in August 2012, so that I have a deadline to get in shape! Deadlines help to the forever students like us :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey,

    I just found your blog because I was tastespotting...something I do a lot. But I just wanted to say hello because reading your "about me" was like reading something i had written.

    I'm a UA college student with dreams of being in culinary school instead, but I have to save up for it. However, when I make it there, Sullivan is one of my top choices because my best friend is there and I've visited (read: fell in love with) the school.

    I have a long-term boyfriend that I started learning to cook for and developed my passion out of it.

    And I just started my food blog on the same site that you use.

    I know this probably sounds a little creepy, I don't mean it that way. I just wanted to shout-out to a kindred soul.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Full of lovely flavours. That looks delicious.

    ----------------------------
    Regards
    Spoon and Chopsticks
    http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I could seriously get down with this dish. It sounds awesome - and the flavors are rocking.

    I am sooo excited for you and everything you have going on and am looking forward to when you can sneak in time to write some posts about it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made 'cinnamon-scented' lentils last night... I love your version of one of my favorite beans!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Truely Awesome recipe and is quick and easy too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails