Thursday, October 6, 2011

Indian-Spiced Lentils

This fall weather is a bit crazy.  It was a nice fall chill all last week, and now we're back to being in the 80's this week.  I just want my nice fall weather!

My half marathon is going to be here before I know it, and I've been a bad trainee.  I did something to my shoulder last weekend and it's ached all week, but starting to feel better.  So hopefully I can get back to running this upcoming weekend because I'm not going to have a very good time come October 30th if I don't!

Anyway, it's another soup-type recipe.  I've been working on slowly cleaning out my pantry for the past couple of weeks (it's nuts in there!) and noticed I had an abundance of lentils - so what better to do than make a quick curry or soup!  So I did a quick Google search and I was led to an Honest Cooking recipe that helped use up some of my CSA vegetables too!

Adapted from an Honest Cooking recipe

1/2 cup french green lentils, washed
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
juice from 1 lemon

salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

1 white/yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup chicken stock 

In a medium pot, add lentils and cover with water.  Stir in tomatoes and tumeric.  Bring to a rolling boil and simmer until the lentils are soft and cooked, about 30 minutes. 

Heat olive oil in a large skillet under medium high heat until hot.  Add bell peppers and onions.  Cook until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.  Add garam masala and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with salt, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice.  Add lentil mixture and chicken stock. Bring to a slow boil and simmer for about 10 mins.

Serve with steamed rice.

Have a great Thursday guys!


  1. Looks great! I love indian spiced food...and lentils, mmm!
    Hope your shoulder recovers quickly!

  2. Good luck with your half marathon! Injuries sucks! Last year I hurt my knee right before my half marathon, so I couldn't run it. But I was up to 10 miles in training, so it was very disappointing!

  3. Ohh yummy! Nice dinner for weekday night. I hope your shoulder gets better and good luck with half marathon! I can barely run 10 minutes... I know it's pretty pathetic! >_<

  4. I'm freezing cold, so I could certainly use a bowl of those right about now! It sounds like the perfect recipe for a crisp fall day.

  5. Love lentils! I just made some spicy red lentils tonight.

  6. I don't know how I have not seen your blog before but I love it! Especially the name... ;)

  7. I used to hate lentils until recently, but they have been growing on me! I love the spices you used on these!

  8. YUM- YUM! I love lentils - so this is right up my alley!

  9. This is so perfect for this time of year! Hope your shoulder is feeling better! Good luck with the half marathon!

  10. I too eat my lentil soup with (basmati) rice! Always need something starchy with soup.
    The only difference in my recipe is that I ban chicken (or vegetable) stock and add celeri and carrot instead. I think stock confuses all flavors.

  11. Wow, I am amazed that you prepared such a lovely Indian recipe, great to see this and love the beautiful outcome.

  12. Ah... a soup at autum is a great "threat" for ur body and palate at the same time peggy and having a steamed rice with it is a great idea!
    enjoy ur autum there and take care of ur health ;)

  13. I never had a lentil soup,it's looks so good,make me want to try ,great photography too :)

  14. I love the combination of these spices. Could eat it anytime. You're going to do great!

  15. Never thought to put pepper with lentils I will bet that really gives them a great flavor... they sure look great!

  16. Yum I love lentil soup! This looks perfect for fall (regardless of the temperature...). Good luck on the half marathon! Hope your shoulder feels better.

  17. I need to work on the pantry as well but I keep buying stuff! The stew-soup has autumn colors, so nice :)
    Better get on the road and keep training! Oct 30th will be here before you know it! I signed up for a fundraising climb to Pikes Peak in August 2012, so that I have a deadline to get in shape! Deadlines help to the forever students like us :)

  18. Hey,

    I just found your blog because I was tastespotting...something I do a lot. But I just wanted to say hello because reading your "about me" was like reading something i had written.

    I'm a UA college student with dreams of being in culinary school instead, but I have to save up for it. However, when I make it there, Sullivan is one of my top choices because my best friend is there and I've visited (read: fell in love with) the school.

    I have a long-term boyfriend that I started learning to cook for and developed my passion out of it.

    And I just started my food blog on the same site that you use.

    I know this probably sounds a little creepy, I don't mean it that way. I just wanted to shout-out to a kindred soul.


  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

  20. Full of lovely flavours. That looks delicious.

    Spoon and Chopsticks

  21. I could seriously get down with this dish. It sounds awesome - and the flavors are rocking.

    I am sooo excited for you and everything you have going on and am looking forward to when you can sneak in time to write some posts about it!

  22. I made 'cinnamon-scented' lentils last night... I love your version of one of my favorite beans!

  23. Truely Awesome recipe and is quick and easy too.



Related Posts with Thumbnails