Friday, October 21, 2011

Fried Chicken & Waffles

I've always been intrigued by fried chicken and waffles.  I know it's wildly popular down South, but after doing a quick poll amongst co-workers, 90% of them looked at me like I was crazy, having never heard of such a blasphemous thing.

But I tell you what.  It's far from blasphemous.  It's the perfect combination of salty and sweet.  Breakfast and dinner wrapped into one.  And you better bet your ass that if I ever open up a restaurant one day, it'll be on the menu.  This was awesome.  And is the perfect use for the remaining parts of your broken down chicken.

Ingredients:

Fried Chicken:

2 lb. Mixture of chicken parts - thighs, drumsticks, wings, tenderloins, drummettes
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon italian seasoning 
Vegetable shortening, for frying

Waffles:


1 cup whole wheat flour
1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
1 & 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
maple syrup, optional (but not really, it's necessary, hehe)

Place the chicken pieces in a large plastic Ziploc bag and cover with the buttermilk.  Seal bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.  This will help to tenderize the chicken.

Remove chicken from bag and pat dry with paper towels.  Set aside.

In a large cast iron skillet, heat about 1 cup of vegetable shortening.  You want to get about an inch or so layer once it's melted (or at least be able to cover the chicken pieces by half).  Heat until between 325 - 375 F. 

In a medium shallow dish, combine the flour, cornstarch, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning. 

Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture and shake off any excess. 

Working in batches (I did about 4-5 pieces per batch), fry the chicken until cooked throughout, about 4-7 minutes per side (depending on the type of pieces you used, some cook faster than others).

While the chicken is frying, you can prepare your waffles.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.  In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and vanilla until combined.  Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.  Then whisk in the melted butter until just incorporated.


Grease your waffle maker with non-stick spray or butter and add about 1/2 cup of batter per waffle.  Cook per machine instructions and waffles are browned and crisp.

Serve fried chicken atop one large waffle and drizzle maple syrup around waffle.  Enjoy absolute bliss.

If you've never heard of chicken and waffles, I highly recommend you try this very soon.  You won't be sorry.


Have a great weekend guys!  That's it (for now) with the chicken posts - I used the carcass for a stock, Alton Brown's recipe.  I'll have a knife cut how-to up next and then we've got Espagnole Sauce (a mother sauce that's the base for fancy sauces like a Bordelaise, Chasseur, Chateaubriand, Cherveuil, Madeira, Marchand de vin, Perigueux, Piquant, Poivrade, and Robert).  So lot's of learning opportunities to come - for both of us!

51 comments:

  1. Okay, you may not know the answer to this question, but I have to ask since you're sharing all of your chicken wisdom with us. I love making chicken stock, but I usually do it from a whole chicken, as opposed to just the carcass. If I have frozen a whole chicken, thawed it in the fridge, can I then refreeze the carcass to be combined with future bones to make a stock? Or would that be a no-no to thaw, refreeze and then thaw again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of this combo, but never tried it! I can totally see why it's soooo awesome....yum!
    Waffles are just awesome in so many ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, the day I discovered chicken and waffles was a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm kind of judging you right now... but it does look tasty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fried chicken and waffles.... Yours look so fantastic. I totally want some now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally love buttermilk chicken! The waffles look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of this,but now I am dying to try it; what a fabulous assotment of flavours. Makes me re think breakfast.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard about fried chicken with waffles. Looks delicious. I will check with my chicken eating hubby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not blasphemous at all! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is definitely a southern favorite!! Yours looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being a southerner I have to say this is an awesome combination! There is an amazing restaurant near that makes it with a strawberry butter and balsamic maple syrup. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had this combination before. It's intriguing for sure. I may have to try this out. Pics look fab.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to get a waffle maker ASAP! I agree, the perfect combination of salt and sweet, I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wondered when people referred to chicken and waffles if they meant side by side or on the same plate. I never wanted to ask because I hate being mocked. :) Now I think I might do some educating of my own by trying something like this! I hope you don't mind if I try this and link back to you for the recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have hard of it , but always wondered how it will be and still wondering , but this looks really good .Sometimes weird combos actually work. Have a great weekend Peggy :).

    ReplyDelete
  16. You bet is a combo I have not heard before, but then again, never try never know as your pic says its worth the try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great!! Certainly a nice combo.

    ----------------------------
    Regards
    Spoon and Chopsticks
    http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I admire everyone who can fry chicken. The two times I've tried (once even using the revered Thomas Keller Ad Hoc recipe) the chicken always gets too dark. Even though I've heard about chicken and waffles I've never tried it. Yours looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so cool, Peggy! I've always had my waffles with ice-cream. But with chicken?? Love to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks amazing!! I've only had chicken and waffles maybe once, but I love the salty-sweet combo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks good....and for sure delicious!!.....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  22. Never heard of such a combination! I must admit that it sounds crazy! But I do love crazy foods! I must try it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm actually really glad you made this because having grown up in the South, even I thought it was weird. But, I'm a big supporter of your palette so BRING IT ON!

    Buzzed :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It does seem crazy... I have never even heard of it. I would imagine it would fill you up pretty fast in the morning! Good for you in being adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what an interesting combination, Peggy. I have never tried nor heard of this dish before but I am open for anything and that's what a good cook is suppose to be. Thank you for dropping by and commenting on my site the other day, Peggy.

    ~ ray ~

    ReplyDelete
  26. I’ve heard of this dish before, but never tried it because it sounds like a weird combo and there are so many other great dishes I want to have. You’ve made it look so awesome I’ll give it a go. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have to say I would have had the same reaction as your colleagues! Having seen it however I feel like I've been missing out only ever having sweet waffles. Thanks for opening my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooh I must try this... whenever we go to L.A my husband talks about chicken and waffles restaurant... Now I have a recipe for it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. great combo! my MIL loves homemade fried chicken with waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh. My. Goodness. I have heard of it, but have never tasted it. I want it now! I can imagine that the salty, sweet, savory combo is just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, I heard of this combination, but never tried...now with your post, I must give this a try.
    Hope you have a great week Peggy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. looks wonderful Peggy. I had chicken at waffles at Roscoe's chicken and waffles down in Hollywood and it was delicious. I love southern food sweet spicy salty hot. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  33. Is this something very common? I've never encounter this combination fried chicken with waffle before! It sound crazy but I'm sure there's a good reason why it's popular and everyone loves about it. I'll remember your post when I see it next time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow. This is the first time I've ever seen anything like it. Sounds like a love-hate relationship at first but I'm guessing it's an absolute mad and tasty hit.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Chicken and waffles are DELICIOUS, but it is important to note that it is not a Southern dish. Until fairly recently, you would never find it on any menu and it was certainly not prepared at home. I am 35, grew up in South Carolina, and never heard of it until high school when from friends who originated from the West Coast mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. this looks wonderful lovely combination

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've never had waffles & chicken together but it sounds really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Peggy, what a great concepy of chicken on waffles! I have never heard of this and really loved it. And yes, I am following you now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ive always wanted to try this too - and I got crazy and some rude comments when I put kielbasa with waffles - but it was awesome. This made me realize Handsome loves waffles so Im sure I could get away with making this one for supper!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ultimate Combo :) Gotta admit, I have been in the South for the past 11 years and never have heard it...

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is my favorite favorite thing in the world....
    Yours looks absolutely delicious...
    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have heard this is awesome its sure looks at it and sound it from this photo

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yep, I'm up there with the 'never tried its'. Looks and sounds heavenly though!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I've never had this dish but I always thought the combination sounded really appealing. Sort of like breakfast sausages with maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hey Foodies, Peggy's Blasphemous recipe has been selected by Knapkins to be featured in a Recipe Guessing Game. Invite fans to play: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/556?source=blog

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails