Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sweet Potato Cakes


It is freeeeeeeezing outside.  It's feeling like double jacket weather.  I'm sure I'm just over-reacting.  It's really only 33 degrees outside, so we're above freezing so far.  But dude... I don't like this cold weather!

I've been working on my positive attitude, lately, and you know what... sometimes stressful situations do work out better when you've thought positively from the get go.  I've been trying to let myself not get frustrated at work with my fellow co-workers.  I'm only on day 2 of this positive attitude campaign, but you know... I think I may stick to it.

Of course... you guys don't see the negative Peggy.  The Peggy that comes to blog here, she's happy.  She's not stressed, and she's usually eating while she types.  So maybe I can merge these two Peggys and find a "happy medium" in between?  Maybe?  We'll see.

Anyway, now that I've randomly ranted... today's recipe is absolutely delicious.  Morning, noon, or night - these things are perfect.  We had them as a side for our Pork Tenderloin that we had a couple nights ago and they were delicious!


Ingredients:


Adapted from How Sweet It Is's recipe

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup heavy cream

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
2 strips bacon, chopped


Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot of boiling water and cook until tender, about 25-30 minutes minutes.  Drain and return potatoes to pot. 

Add butter and cream to potatoes and mash with a potato masher.  I like some texture to my mashed potatoes, so that's why I didn't use my immersion blender (but if you like a smoother mash, by all means, go right ahead!  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Let mixture cool slightly and place in fridge to cool, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat a large skillet under medium high heat and add bacon.  Cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy.  Remove bacon with slotted spoon and mix into sweet potato mixture along with cayenne pepper, leaving the bacon grease in skillet.

Form mashed sweet potatoes into patties and sprinkle flour onto both sides.  Fry patties in the bacon grease and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown.  Serve hot and fresh as a side, or eat them as is!


These were pretty awesome.  Definitely addicting, if you ask me!  We've had an abundance of sweet potatoes and this was just a slight change-up from the norm.  Enjoy guys!

21 comments:

  1. I bet the bacon really added a ton to the flavor profile!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet potatoes are always great food for freezing weather. Nice that you made them into little cakes :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol at "she's usually eating while she types"...haha. I think you and I could become very good friends ;-).
    I'm a big sweet potato fan so needless to say I love these. I wish I were eating these as I type right now :-P. Only thing is, mine would have to be bacon- free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peggy,

    Sweet potato cakes looks delicious. It is cold here, not freezing. I will try to make them without bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um...YUM! I love sweet potatoes period! I bet those were delicious!

    It's cold here too. I love the "freshness" of cold air though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness - I was drooling by the end of your post!!! I still have sweet potatoes from the garden (sorry no freezes here in TX) and I have kinda run out of exciting ways to make them! This is exciting!!! Making these this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so crunchy. Here the weather is unusually warm. It feels more like late spring rather than beginning of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet potatoes, butter and a dash of cream...yes, this does sound perfect any time of the day. I'm also trying to embrace more positivity in my life. It can make such a difference. Thank you for sharing! Have a great Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried to make these once and it didn't go so well. I've been afraid to try ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  10. buckeye cake please? :)

    but hmm this looks so yummy :) i'll try this one

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know, I know... I've been a bad blogger! I promise Smarla... buckeye cake on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a cross between mashed sweet potatoes and latkes- Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't like cold either.Today, 45 degrees here.Yesterday was windy and rainy cats and dogs.Finally the sun again:)
    Your sweet potato cakes look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm these look so yummy. Maybe these will replace my traditional latkes this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I've never heard of anything like this before, but this is right up my alley in terms of favorite foods! Bacon and sweet potato? Nice - my girls will love this as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you like bacon then you and I are going to be quick friends..I love sweet potatoes and are always looking for fun ways to cook them up. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh so pretty. I would love these, and so would my husband! Love the pictures. I relate to how you feel some days - I certainly don't always feel like Ms. Positivity either! Good for you for making a good effort to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love anything with sweet potatoes and these sound divine!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looooove sweet potato...anything!!! Gorgeous color!

    I am giggling over here because my kids are the happiest when theyre eating. I have to have a stash of donuts and other carby treats when shopping with the lil ones or theyd be all RAWR on me hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd like to try this one (without the bacon, of course) Sounds simple and very quick - two things that appeal to me :-)

    http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails