Monday, December 13, 2010

Mushroom & Yellow Squash Enchiladas


Happy Monday!  And if you're in any snow-ridden areas, like we are, hope you're not snowed in (unless you want to be!)!    Thankfully, I'll be at home all day, and all day tomorrow, safe and warm... making duck confit - definitely excited about that.

How was everyone's weekend?  Ours was pretty relaxed, just went out to dinner on Friday (at a local joint, the Bard's Town, which was just so-so - slow service ruined it for me, but Andy didn't seem to be phased by that!).  Saturday we went out for some celebratory drinks with our friend's Ike and Becca (who just got engaged so congrats to them!).  And Sunday was just spent grocery shopping, baking cookies, and watching football (Go Eagles!). 

And last week, I experimented with a few vegetarian dishes for dinner, which mostly went over well with Andy.  (Trust me, he wasn't excited at first, but after putting the plates in front of him, he gladly dug in!).  By far, these enchiladas were the fave, so I thought I'd share them with you all!



Ingredients:
Adapted from Closet Cooking's recipe


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, sliced thinly
8 oz. portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 lb. yellow squash, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 thai chiles, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 cup salsa verde

5-6 small corn tortillas
1/2 cup shredded pepperjack cheese

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet under medium high heat.

Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes or so.  Then add the mushrooms and cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until they've softened, as well.

Add the yellow squash and cook until just tendder, about 4-5 minutes.  Then stir in the garlic, peppers, cumin, and oregano.  Cook for about a minute.

Remove from heat and mix in 1/2 cup of the salsa verde.

Spread 1/4 cup of the salsa verde over the bottom of a ceramic baking dish.

Carefully fill the corn tortillas with filling (I didn't do a good job of this, my tortillas kept breaking, but the cheese does a good job of covering up those imperfections!), and roll them up and place them in the baking dish with the seam on the bottom.

Pour the remaining 1/4 cup of salsa verde over the tortillas and sprinkle on the cheese.

Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese and edges of the tortillas have started to brown.

Plate the enchiladas and dig in!


This dish packed some heat and definitely gave me the comfort that a good old meat enchilada would have!  It was like I didn't even miss the meat!  And Andy was fully impressed with the dish too!  My little carnivore ate a vegetarian dish!  Woohoo!  Enjoy guys!

28 comments:

  1. Oooo, enchiladas are another food I have been intimidated by for years... maybe I can get over my fear and make some... these sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so intriguing! The color is fab and I bet they were tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect meal! Absolutely will cook this soon!!! (stay warm!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect meatless monday meal!!! i have a friend who will really enjoy this. will definitely share!


    stay warm! no snow here, but it's like 20 degrees!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I love enchiladas and they are usually so flavorful that they can stand to be without the meat :) The squash is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look fabulous! i love vegetarian recipes, and my hubby wasn't too excited about the idea either, until he tried a few good ones. portabello mushrooms make the whole dish feel "meaty" without the meat - my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious. i love the color, mushroom and yellow squash looks awesome combo

    ReplyDelete
  8. These enchiladas look so cheesy and good. They must be an ideal dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love enchiladas vegetarian or not. Mexican is my favorite kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was going to make spaghetti for dinner tonight. But then I saw this recipe. So I've changed my mind. It looks really good!

    Tip: Spray a small skillet or frying pan with nonstick spray and warm it up. Place your corn tortillas in it for just about 30 seconds (or so) on each side to warm the tortilla up -- then they won't break when you roll them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enchilladas looks absolutely irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them...they look wonderful and cheesy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice variation on enchiladas. Sounds like you had a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like your enjoying your time off:) These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great vegetarian dish and I like your description about Andy being a happy food tester for all your vegetarian creations. It's always nice to have someone appreciate all the hard work in cooking :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so good; I've never tasted or made enchiladas. Your recipe is very tempting; must be the cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice to find a veggie version of a dish I enjoy a lot..i love cheesy-melty things n this looks super yum!


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm loving your meatless enchiladas! Great choice with the portobello mushrooms and yellow squash. Yummy ooey gooey cheesiness :-P

    ReplyDelete
  19. A...YUM! I never thought about squash in enchiladas! I love squash. And enchiladas! Perfect! :D Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love meatless meal at least once a week and this looks fab, healthy and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. they look super yummy- well prepared n presented !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Luckily we just have had flurries so far... But this still sounds like a wonderful dish to make in order to warm up! It would be a snap to just use some vegan "cheese" for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made these for dinner on Tuesday night. They were SO DAMN GOOD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aww! So glad you liked them Chippy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your lucky your fiance will eat veggie main dishes -- my husband just picks at them. Enjoy this special time in your life!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails