Friday, December 24, 2010

Hummus Sandwiches


Andy is the best.  I can't say it enough.  I don't know what I would do without him.

We've made it tradition that we open presents with eachother on Christmas eve.  Our first year together, I explained to him my family's tradition of opening up one present on Christmas eve and we agreed to do so.  After we both opened one present, we looked at eachother and both thought the same thing - "you wanna open another?"  And so we ended up opening all of our presents!  So we've just agreed to open up all of our presents to eachother on Christmas eve and save our family stuff for Christmas Day.

So "Andy Claus" was very generous to me this year!  He got me a 35mm lens for my camera, which I've been ogling FOREVER.  I can't wait to take some bad ass pictures with it!  I also got a camera bag to lug my little baby around!  Way awesome.

On top of that, he got me various dishes from Sur La Table, which definitely will be making appearances on the blog soon enough!  He's just the greatest!

And of course "Peggy Claus" did some good work too!  He's practically got a finished gym in the basement - I added some to it by getting him some more free weights, a curl bar, and a dumb bell rack.  And I think I did a real good job on getting him a digital camera (A Nikon Coolpix S8000).  He really wanted a camera that shot HD video and this does, and it does it very well, so I'm glad he's happy with it!

Anyway, I thought I'd give you guys a quick recipe today and wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday!  It's not a Christmas-related recipe, but it's a quick lunch/dinner fix for the upcoming week!  Enjoy your holiday weekend guys!

Ingredients:


Hummus:

15 oz. can chickpeas, drained
1/3 cup tahini paste
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
juice from 2 lemons
juice from 1 lime
1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
2 teaspoon salt
1 roasted red pepper from a jar


Sandwich:

Cucumber slices
Bean sprouts
Cheddar cheese
Turkey slices (optional)
Wheat bread 
Butter (optional)

In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients for hummus and mix until smooth.  It should be somewhat thick, but still moist.

To assemble sandwiches, butter one side of each bread slice. 

Heat a nonstick pan under medium heat and add one slice of bread, butter side down.  Top with slice of cheddar cheese and cook until cheese is melted and bottom side of bread is browned.  Remove bread and place on plate.  Add remaining slice of bread, butter side down and cook until it is browned, as well.  You can skip this step if you want to, but I want a nice "grilled cheese" effect on my bread.

Top bread slice that has cheese on it with a good amount of the hummus and top with desired sandwich toppings.  I used bean sprouts and cucumber slices.  I added a few slices of turkey onto Andy's (as he wasn't too thrilled about just eating a hummus sandwich).  Place other bread slice on top, cut sandwich in half, and dig on in!

At first, Andy was a little hesitant, stating that he's never really liked hummus.  But I think this went over well, I mean... he ate the whole thing, so it couldn't have been that bad!  Personally, I loved the sandwich and could probably eat it for lunch several days in a row! 


 Again, guys, I hope you have a great holiday and spend it being with the ones you love!  Enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. Hummus on sandwiches is seriously the best! My boyfriend loves it too... he says it's his favorite sandwich condiment! Have a very merry Christmas!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Peggy,
    Wishing u and Andy a fun filled christmas and hope the festivities continue forever !!
    The hummus looks swell--am bookmarking it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a healthy and yummy sandwich! Have a great holidays for you and Andy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a very merry christmas with your family - we are having a very hot day here in Australia - can you send some cold down our way???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hummus sandwiches? wow I love the idea...looks totally delish!
    Have a wonderful holiday season!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes to you and Andy.For the first time in 47 years we were alone for Christmas eve and we opened all our gifts. That was fun Have a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas Peggy! I'm glad to hear that you got everything you wanted for Christmas! I tried to convince my parents to open presents last night...but to no avail. So I'll have to wait until I trek back over there in a few hours. Sigh.

    A hummus sandwich is exactly the kind of healthy food I'll need after today. Good call on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks delicious!
    And Merry Christmas, sounds like it's been a great one so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice gifts and great sandwich. Have a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas to you! Sounds like great gifts!
    I got my husband the Call of Duty Black Ops PS3 game he had been wanting and I am already regretting it. It has been going non-stop since this morning! :) I should have gotten him something related to workout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peggy...what a great guy you snagged! I know that you are both blessed to have each other. I can't wait to see your new plates! I wish you the Merriest Christmas. Thank you for always infusing my days with such great eats, sweet words and thoughtful comments....I'm thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad your Santa brought everything your heart desired. This sandwich looks ideal for after Christmas breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love hummus and I have eaten it on many a sandwich. Looks delicious and glad to see another hummus fan out there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peggy,


    Glad to hear the Santa brought you everything you wished for. These are awesome sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Passion4Food here to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year. May 2011 bring you lots of happiness and friendship. Have an awesome day with your love ones!!

    jen @ www.passion4food.ca

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks really good :-)
    I don't know Sriracha sauce, but I usually add a little chipotle....

    Merry Christmas to you.

    My best
    Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  17. These hummus sandwiches looks so juicy and full of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  18. yummy looking sandwiches!

    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Merry Christmas, Peggy! I'm glad you got the lens you wanted :) I've never thought to add Sriracha to hummus, but I love that touch of spice. I love hummus in sandwiches too, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos are going to be even better now! What a great guy you have!!!! And you're not too bad yourself, you two really pay attention to each other's wants and needs, how sweet!!! I hope Christmas day was great for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hummus in that sandwich has to be good. Must try it soon, and the srichacha must make it even better! Merry Christmas to you. Hope you have a great 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks great, delicious and healthy, just the way I like it:)
    Happy festivities to you n your family Peggy!


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  23. when i love something, i could eat it many days in a row too =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love you for this recipe! I just made hummus this weekend and a sandwich is the perfect place for the leftovers. Have a great day! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  25. Peggy,
    You both are lucky to have each other's company.Never had any idea that hummus can be eaten as sandwich fillings..delicious innovation I must say..Wish both of you lovely Christmas and holidays..hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good to be here, Peggy. Thanks DB! Love the idea of adding Hummus in a sandwich. You have a lovely space. Following you for more of such wonderful & delicious treats from you. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like you had a fun Christmas! The sandwiches look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Merry Belated Christmas!! Sounds like Santa was good to you;) and this sandwich is just what I need for my lazy days off at home this week

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails