Friday, December 10, 2010

Coconut Almond Ice Cream


Happy Friday guys!  Definitely glad that the weekend is here!  I've got to work tomorrow night, but I have Sunday and Monday off, so it won't be too bad!  And no school work to think about, so hey, I'm in good spirits!

I was privileged enough to be a part of a Thanksgiving blogger compilation over at Guerrilla Gourmet.  They did a "cornucopia project" on how people from all 50 states celebrate Thanksgiving and I was lucky enough to represent Kentucky.  They didn't get posts from all 50 states, but they got 40 of them, so that's not half bad!  So hope you guys check out the post and see how different parts of the country celebrate the common tradition!

And, as promised, here's the almond recipe that tied with last week's poll!

Ingredients:


Adapted from a Bon Appetit recipe

Ice Cream

2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup whole milk
1 cup light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-3 teaspoons of almond extract (depending on how deep of a flavor you want!)
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon coconut rum

Coconut Tortillas & Fruit Salsa

2 flour tortillas
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup sugar, divided
1 egg white
1 mango, peeled and diced
5 large strawberries, diced

To make the ice cream, combine coconut milk, whole milk, brown sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan under medium heat.  Stir in desired amount of almond extract (a little goes a long way!) and bring to a simmer.  Stir until the brown sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and cover saucepan with aluminum foil.  Allow mixture to steep for about 30 minutes.

Whisk the egg yolks in a large bowl and slowly whisk in the coconut milk mixture.  Return the mixture to the saucepan and heat under medium heat until it reaches a temperature of about 160 F.  This took about 6-10 minutes for me.  Cool the mixture at room temperature for 1 hour.  It will resemble a custard.  Chill in the fridge for an additional 2 hours.

Slowly stir in coconut rum into custard mixture.  Process the custard in an ice cream machine for about 25-30 minutes.  Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least an hour.

In the meantime, you can start on the coconut chips and fruit salsa.  Preheat your oven to 375 F. 

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and cut each tortilla into 8 wedges.  Assemble onto parchment paper.

In a small food processor, combine coconut flakes and 1 teaspoon of sugar.  Pulse for about 30 seconds.

Beat the egg white in a small bowl until it is foamy.  Brush the egg white onto the tortillas and sprinkle with desired amount of coconut/sugar mixture.

Bake in oven until tortillas are crisp and golden, about 10-15 minutes.  Let cool until ready for use.

To make fruit salsa, combine mangoes and strawberries in medium bowl and sprinkle with a tablespoon or two of sugar.  Mix well.

Scoop ice cream into a bowl or, in my case, a margarita glass, and top with fruit salsa.  Place about 2 or 3 coconut tortilla chips in ice cream as well, and dig on in!


Although I didn't use actual almonds, the almond extract provided such a deep flavor to this ice cream, that it was definitely the star.  There were many textures in this dessert, and you would think one would overpower the other, but the crunch of the tortillas, the creaminess of the ice cream, and the sweet bites of fruit all worked together as one, shining together.  Who says you can't have ice cream in the winter time?  In the words of Andy... "ice cream is any time food.  breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  ice cream is good any time.' 

Hope you guys enjoy your weekend!

31 comments:

  1. A lovely ice cream! That combo is heavenly.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me almost forget the cold! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow- this looks and sounds amazing!! Especially love the coconut tortillas to go along with it! I need to try some new ice cream flavors! THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, ice cream maker is on my list of kitchen gadgets I need soooo bad (along with VitaMix and/or food processor bigger than the 4 cup teeny one I have!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, love that icecream..soooo tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coconut almond my favorite,this ice cream looks delicious. I need to buy an ice cream maker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so yummy- finger licking good--loved it

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great!! but...but.. it is very very cold here :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you incorporated coconut into this ice cream. The fruits add great colour and are great pairings which go lovely with coconut. This sounds lovely, great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband loves coconut. This is a great combination of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Peggy,

    Beautiful ice cream dear...:)

    Dr.Sameeena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm I love pina coladas...I mean..coconut! hehe and almond extract! If only I had an ice cream maker:(

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic recipe; great combination of ingredients; love the idea of the coconut in there; must be very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have tried to make ice cream a couple times and both times it was a flop. I know it's probably my error, so I think I'll try it again, because this looks so delicious, and I love the idea of the tortilla crisps as a little scooper:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Peggy, I am sure my husband will thank you heaps for it if I make this. It looks awesome! Coconut and ice-cream rocks.. Now, I might just have to hide it from him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I looooove coconut and can only imagine how great this ice cream is, especially served with the crispy coconut tortilla chips :) Coconut overload, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous recipe for ice cream!!! Always love the flavor of coconut in rice cakes. In ice cream, it must be exquisite! thanks for the wonderful idea! A must try for me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! What a wonderful tropical treat. I am in the mood for icecream, and I don't know if I could eat a more enjoyable bowl than what you've presented right here. Congrats on no school work! I have one more day to go! Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a pretty, fresh dessert, I love this kind of thing.

    I also love my ice cream maker, I feel you have inspired me ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very unique and delicious ice cream! Adding the coconut milk brings the whole new flavor to this dessert...

    ReplyDelete
  21. hola estoy de visita en tu blog me encanta me quedo aquí y te invito a visitar mi blog dulce, besos

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love coconut anything - this looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ice cream with coconut milk such a yum idea in winters.I love the tortilla chips you are serving it with.Enjoy the good spirits n the holidays:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Peggy, this looks wonderful! I'm a big fan of anything coconut so this really appeals to me. What a great combination of flavours. Thank you so much for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just the name sounds delicious and you made it look that way too :)


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely looking icecream and nice presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, that is a stunningly good-looking ice cream. Happy Friday indeed, but it's Monday now. I've got a feeling any day would be happy with that, though ...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Peggy-Such a yummy coconut almond ice cream. I love ice cream, especially home made, any time of the year. Very impressive, that you have a gallery on Food Gawker...they are so picky!
    I'm following your blog, now!

    ReplyDelete
  29. mmm coconut milk ice cream sounds good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails