Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Homemade Peppermint Patties

Just wish I would have taken a picture of the insides!

Peppermint is one of my favorite flavors during this time of year.  It's no surprise that in the goodie bags I made for people this year, I had 2 peppermint treats!  I mean, seriously... who doesn't like peppermint? 

These peppermint patties were extremely easy, and once I got the hang of dipping them in chocolate, were pretty quick too.

Sorry I've got such a short post today, but this month's bookclub meeting is meeting at my house, and that means I've got tons of cooking to do today!  Details will be posted tomorrow, I'm sure!

Ingredients:
Adapted From What Megan's Making's Recipe

A surprise is hidden inside!
 2 & 1/4 cups powdered sugar, plus 1/4 cup for kneading and rolling
1 & 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 & 1/2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 tablespoon shortening

pinch of salt
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate morsels


In a medium bowl, beat 2 & 1/4 cups powdered sugar with corn syrup, water, peppermint extract, shortening, and a pinch of salt using an electric mixer at medium speed until just combined.  Dust a work surface with the remaining powdered sugar and knead "dough" until smooth. 

Roll the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper on a large baking sheet into a 7- to 8-inch round (about 1/4 inch thick).  Place the baking sheet in the freezer and chill until firm, about 15 minutes.

Remove top sheet of paper and sprinkle top of the round with powdered sugar.  Replace top sheet, then flip round over and repeat sprinkling on other side.

Cut out as many rounds as possible with round cutter, transferring to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze again until firm, at least 10 minutes.  If you want, you can use scraps to roll out and cut out more circles.

Meanwhile, you can make the chocolate coating.

Melt 3/4 of the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl.  Do it in 30 seconds intervals, that way you don't burn the chocolate.  Add remaining chocolate and stir until all melted.  Let cool slightly.

This next part, you want to do sort of fast, because the peppermint dough will get warm, and not let the chocolate set properly. 

Take peppermint rounds out of freezer.
 
Balance 1 peppermint round on a fork and submerge in melted chocolate, letting excess drip off and scraping back of fork against rim of bowl if necessary, then return patty to sheet. Coat remaining rounds, rewarming chocolate, if necessary (I didn't have to do this).   Place patties in fridge to speed up setting of chocolate.  Let stand for at least 1 hour before serving!


I'm sure even Santa would have enjoyed these!

Like I said, these were pretty easy, and made great goodie bag gifts!  I know, Christmas has passed, but it still doesn't mean you can't enjoy these little guys all for yourself!  Share if you want to!  Enjoy!

22 comments:

  1. Mmm!!! We are loving peppermint this holiday too. I am absolutely certain that these will be popular in our house! I might do these for new Years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were soooooo yummy! The husband loves peppermint and these went down very well :)

    Good luck with the book club meeting!! How lucky are your friends to have you cook for them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peppermint patties are very nostalgic of my mom, so I love them even more than I used to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peppermint patties looks delicious. Nice to have book club. Your friends are lucky as you are cooking for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love peppermint patties, never thought of making them at home! Now I know how, thanks. Can't wait to try them.
    Wishing you Happy New Years!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love peppermint patties! I've never thought to make them from scratch, yours look so pretty in that beautiful tin :)

    I'm amazed at how few ingredients there are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely....looks so delicious..
    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy peppermint patties! Can you send me one of your goodie bags down to Aussie?? Hehehee Happy Belated Christmas, Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear..these look dangerous! I can tell I wouldn't be able to STOP eating them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm can you send me a couple!!! Look good. I know if I made them I would eat them all.

    PS: Peggy was reading a book recently and thought of you - they mentioned buckeyes - it it weren't for you I wouldn't know what they were - thank you!!!! You have enriched my life (for those that don't know I live in Australia - we have never heard of buckeyes!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peggy, where was my Christmas treats bag? :))
    They look great! When mint and chocolate meet, it is another beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds - and looks - delish! :-)

    Happy New Year to you, I look forward to follow you in 2011.

    My best
    Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally into the idea of turning home baking into gifts to friends and relatives, that thoughts are more than the pressie right?
    Happy new year to you, hope you have a blast new year celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. how cool! i never knew you could make peppermint patties at home! (though i guess you could make anything at home if you really wanted to, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Homemade peppermint patties?!?! OHHH yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh those look yum! Loving the peppermint at the mo, so these sound great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to make candy! It's one of those things I never thought I could make, but seeing it on so many blogs is giving me the urge :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't had peppermint patties in forever! I am definitely going to make these! They look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this looks absolutely incredible. Easy, too, which is always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. delicious with peppermint happy new year to you and family

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails