Monday, December 27, 2010

I-Want-My-Warm-Weather-Back Burgers


Hope everyone that celebrated had a festive and amazing Christmas!  I know I did, and I felt extremely loved and surrounded by great family!

I complain when it's too cold.  I complain when it's too hot.  Am I ever satisfied?

Although we didn't get hit quite as bad as the East Coast, Louisville had it's fair share of snow.  We had a white Christmas, which was quite pretty, but enough already.  The snow is cold.  And my dogs are possessed with the devil when they see it.  All they want to do is run around, tugging fiercely on their leashes, making me look like an idiot ragdoll when taking them for walks.  I'm sure it's quite humorous to an onlooker, but to me... it just makes my arms hurt.  And I might have a case of whiplash.  Who knows.

Anyway, I made these burgers with summer in mind.  Although I didn't brave the cold and grill them on the back deck (I'm sure they would have been even better with that smoky grill taste!), they were quite possibly the juiciest burgers I've had in a while.  Andy definitely liked them, as he proceeded to eat two!

Ingredients:
Adapted from The British Larder's Recipe


Burgers:
 
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, roasted and mashed
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon horseradish sauce
1 egg
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

Parsnip Fries:

2 parsnips, peeled and cut into fries
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper


Preheat oven to 400 F.
Toss parsnips in a large bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne.  Arrange in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast in oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until parsnips are crispy and browned.  

Heat olive oil in a large frying pan under medium high heat. Add onion and carrot and saute for until onions are soft and translucent, about 2-3 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper. Turn heat off and cool completely.  Then mix in roasted mashed garlic.

In a large bowl, combine onion mixture with ground beef, horseradish sauce, egg, panko, and worcestershire sauce.  Mix well.

Form mixture into 4 decent sized patties (you can make more of smaller ones, if you'd like).  Season outside of patties with salt and pepper, if desired.

Heat frying pan under medium high heat and add a little bit of olive oil.  Cook the burgers for 5 minutes on each side, or under middle is no longer bright pink.

Right before burger is done, you can add some cheddar cheese to melt on one side if you'd like a cheeseburger!

When parsnips are done, drizzle them with honey and serve with burger!

 
Like I said, these were damn good and juicy!  It definitely reminded me of grilling out (although these weren't grilled) in the summertime.  I want my summer/spring back.  Soon enough!

Enjoy guys!

17 comments:

  1. LOL, I had to laugh at the dog walking description! I want snow...or just cold weather. We have been at like 70 during the day! blech

    ReplyDelete
  2. There really is something about a good burger that makes summertime come to life!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peggy,
    I know what you mean about the weather, I have the same problem! I confess I prefer the Summer much more, as it reminds me holidays and beach, but when I m actually there, I think the sun can be too hot, and I get tired of "doing nothing"! Anyway, your burgers look delicious- I do a fairly similar version, but instead of carrots I put red peppers :-) Cheers x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peggy,

    I am happy that only freezing here. Not snow,I like snow but my plants will die after a snow fall.Yes you are right we need some hot sun and burger looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looooove the idea of parsnip fries! Great idea!!

    I, too, am getting sick of the snow. I usually love it, but please can we get a break until mid January or so!

    Glad you had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The title of this post made me smile. I agree, and I don't. I have a love-hate relationship with winter. Sometimes I love the weather (when it's snowy and pretty) and sometimes I long for spring (when it's just freezing and there's nothing to enjoy about it). Give me a couple weeks and I will be hating it! ;) I am intrigued by the parsnip fries. Bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so yummy. And definitely something I'd do... grilling in the middle of winter. Just remember once it's hot you'll think back to the snow and wish for the winter wonderland. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great burger is always welcome :-)
    I like the idea of the parsnip fries....

    My best,
    Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I long for summer too. These burgers remind it to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been awhile since I had a nice juicy burger! I have a hankering for one now! And the parsnip fries sound interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mouthwatering burger and fries,very tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love big juicy burgers in the middle of the winter :) And those parsnip fries sound pretty awesome!! Oh, and yes, we got hit SUPER hard here in Boston... I didn't leave my apartment all day, but it looks beautiful outside right now.

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought I am the only one that complains when it's too hot and also complains when it's too cold...haha. Is there a place in between that we can can move to? :P I need that burger too...looks very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That platter surely looks inviting and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a good burger any time of year, and those fries are looking pretty tempting too.

    ReplyDelete

  16. I have a wife who is the most amazing person ive ever met. I love adore and worship the ground she walks on. Ive had a bad childhood and its lived with me for many years ive ended up spending time in jail in 2012 to 2014. I ended up turning my life around and now im in the British Army but as my relationship grew stronger with my wife ive ended up drinking saying things that i dont mean also have had two seizures and overdosed on anti depressants im really struggling to understand why im like this. My marriage is on a temporary break and all i want to do is win my wife back i know people say its the drink but i can drink with my friends and im fine but then sometimes i drink and i dont know i turn into an idiot ive never hit or cheated on my wife i just shout swear i feel like ive lost my way. I need help in getting my wife back please help me. She is the most beautiful loving caring person ive ever met she accepts me for who iam and my past i feel like i have a devil on my shoulder that wants to be an idiot but on the other shoulder i have a person that wants to do good things i cook clean tell my wife i love her every day i work she doesn’t i do think in my mind i do my absolute best. But then i mess things up its so frustrating and all my problems has come to an end with the help of Dr. Ikhine contact his email: agbadado@gmail.com to get your what ever problems you have come to an end today also call +2348056932230 for fast responds

    ReplyDelete

  17. I have a wife who is the most amazing person ive ever met. I love adore and worship the ground she walks on. Ive had a bad childhood and its lived with me for many years ive ended up spending time in jail in 2012 to 2014. I ended up turning my life around and now im in the British Army but as my relationship grew stronger with my wife ive ended up drinking saying things that i dont mean also have had two seizures and overdosed on anti depressants im really struggling to understand why im like this. My marriage is on a temporary break and all i want to do is win my wife back i know people say its the drink but i can drink with my friends and im fine but then sometimes i drink and i dont know i turn into an idiot ive never hit or cheated on my wife i just shout swear i feel like ive lost my way. I need help in getting my wife back please help me. She is the most beautiful loving caring person ive ever met she accepts me for who iam and my past i feel like i have a devil on my shoulder that wants to be an idiot but on the other shoulder i have a person that wants to do good things i cook clean tell my wife i love her every day i work she doesn’t i do think in my mind i do my absolute best. But then i mess things up its so frustrating and all my problems has come to an end with the help of Dr. Ikhine contact his email: agbadado@gmail.com to get your what ever problems you have come to an end today also call +2348056932230 for fast responds

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails