Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Keepin' Tradition Alive

Growing up, my family always had the tradition of opening up one gift on Christmas eve.  It was kind of like a "holding us over" until the next morning kind of thing.  Of course we got to pick which present we opened (my parents never left out any of the "big" presents until the morning, of course).  For some reason, I always ended up opening up a pair of socks or clothes or something.  Luck of the draw, I guess.

So when Andy and I had our first Christmas together, almost 4 years ago, I wanted to keep that tradition alive.  Andy and I have always been excited this time of year.  We love getting things for eachother.  If we could buy the world for eachother, I think we would.  But we have to show some sort of restraint, right?  Well, we were pretty close that year (to buying a million presents for eachother... it was somewhat excessive, probably).  And we were definitely excited to see eachother's faces opening gifts up.  So I asked him on Christmas eve if he'd like to do what my family does, and open up one present.  Of course he agreed, and you could see the joy in his face. 

So we each opened up our one present (I can't remember what it was, but I know it wasn't socks or clothes!), and I remember being like a little kid again!  We both looked at eachother, like hey, we don't really have anything else to do for the rest of the night, so why don't we open up the rest.  You know, that kind of look.  So we ended up starting our own tradition of opening up gifts with eachother on Christmas eve!

I can't believe we've made it through 4 Christmases with eachother!  Ever since December started this year, Andy has been doing a countdown of "how many days until Christmas" every day I woke up.  He's just like a little kid when it comes to this time of the year!  But I get the same way.  I think most of all, we get to show eachother how much we do listen to eachother, and know what we like. 

And this year was no exception.  Andy pulled through with some great stuff! 

Andy and I have this tradition of giving eachother a new pair of shoes every Christmas, too!
 And my family did too!

My dad made these cutting boards!
And Andy's parents too!

Love this serving set!

A kitchen torch... WAY excited!
We are both really lucky.  I know that I'm thankful for even being able to have a Christmas, because I know there are people out there that can't celebrate because of various reasons.  So I think the best gift of all this year was being able to spend Christmas with so many people that I love, and that love me in return!

20 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! And what fantastic gifts - I see much cooking in your future :) Someone likes creme brulee,mmmm. I love that you dad made those cutting boards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family too opened one gift on Christmas Eve. Alex and I have had a really hard time in years past waiting until Christmas (or our anniversary, or birthday, etc.) to give each other our gifts! Next year we are actually going to get a tree and really try our hardest to wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great gifts. I have a kitchen torch myself! Great for creme brulee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky girl! Great foodie gift and nice tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome gifts and nice tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome gift! Hope you had a Merry one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What amazing gifts from your fiance and family!!!! You're so blessed with such caring people who know exactly what you want and your passions!

    You're fiance is too cute! Congratulations on your 4th Christmas together, I am sure they get more and more special every year :)Traditions makes this holiday even more special!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cutting boards! Glad you had a lovely Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry X'mas to u, Peggy! On the contrary, my family didn't exchange any presents this year. First time in my life, no X'mas presents :<

    We decided not to have any gift exchange this year, just our usual Xmas dinner with family. However, we've an additional member - a daughter! Chk it out @ Merry X’mas With Love From Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great gifts! I'm jealous of your kitchen torch. I can't wait to see that in action. I also felt very blessed this year. We are both lucky girls. I hope you are having a lovely week. Thank you for always sharing with me, Peggy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...great gifts! Wonderful to know you have a great time. Would be nice if we can celebrate like that everyday! :P Wishing you a great 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I seems like you had a nice Christmas - and nice presents too :-)

    My best
    Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so smart to keep traditons alive. Your post ans full of love. Wishing you and Andy all the best in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I'd be able to hold back from opening mass amounts of presents either! I'm so glad to hear you had a fun Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I live by the Flavor Bible! You're going to love it; honestly, it's like a big book of inspiration and ideas. Anyway, I'm glad to see it was a good Christmas! Have a great New Year, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its always great to follow traditions and then make some of your own. :) Can see Christmas has been great.
    Season's greetings and best wishes for a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thoughtful gift, love that kitchen torch....

    ReplyDelete
  18. You got some great gifts! Can't wait to see what you make with em :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails