Friday, October 29, 2010

Fried Green Tomato Salad w/ Lump Crab & Remoulade Dressing


 Happy Friday everyone!  Hope everyone has had a good week and that you've got some good plans for Halloween weekend! 

We don't really know what we'll be doing quite yet.  A guy from my softball team is having a Halloween party tonight, but I've got to work until 9:30 tonight so I don't know if I'll feel up to going (and I don't really have a costume, so if I go, I may just end up wearing my scrubs!)  And tomorrow, we may just get dinner with friends and play board games.  Lame, huh?  I don't know, the older I get, the more just staying in and playing simple games sounds more fun than anything!

So when I was telling Andy our dinners for the week last Saturday, when I got to telling him that we'd be having a "Fried Green Tomato Salad," he seemed less than enthused.  So that just gave me more motivation to make it out of this world and delicious from the get-go.  Hope you guys enjoy this one!

Ingredients:
Adapted from Closet Cooking's recipe
 

Fried Green Tomatoes:

2 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup corn flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup corn meal
olive oil for frying


Season the tomato slices with salt and pepper.

Mix the flour, cayenne pepper, and paprika in a shallow dish.  Dredge the tomatoes slices in the flour, then dip them in the egg, and finally dredge them in the corn meal.

Add enough oil to a large skillet to coat the pan.  Heat under high heat and add tomato slices.  Cook for about 2 minutes per side or until tomatoes are golden brown.  Let dry on paper-towel lined plate.

Remoulade Dressing:

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon horseradish sauce
1 small clove garlic, minced
juice from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon capers
1 green onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sriracha 


Place all ingredients in a deep bowl or tupperware and blend with an immersion blender until you reach desired consistency (I like it pretty smooth).

Salad:

2 cups spinach
6 sliced fried green tomatoes

1/2 lb. lump crab meat
remoulade dressing (optional... but HIGHLY recommended)


 Divide the spinach among two plates. Top with the tomato slices.  Add desired amount of lump crab meat and drizzle on remoulade dressing.


The first thing that came out of Andy's mouth after his first bite - "Wow, I never thought this would actually be good."  And my response to that... "Did you ever doubt me?"  And I knew it was a success.  It really was THAT good.  It will turn non-believers into believers.  And you could definitely make it vegetarian by not adding the crab meat and utilizing other vegetables, of course!  Enjoy the weekend guys and be safe!

20 comments:

  1. What a delicious way to use green tomatoes. I think I'd especially enjoy it because of the crab. By the way, I'll be holding a CSN giveaway on my blog next week Monday, so be sure to check back then for a chance to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious, Peggy!!! I can not find proper crabs here to save my life :( There's the crab legs, but they're so expensive for the bag and I'll need a few!

    You're lame sounds like my exciting weekends...ahh to be young again ;) Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I've been craving crab and the flavors here sound fantastic. I love the ingredients of the remoulade with the crab. A perfect salad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had green tomatoes. I love crab. this salad seems like a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had these but have been wanting to try them! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently discovered the deliciousness of fried green tomatoes. Can only imagine how much more awesome the crab makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fried green tomatoes are insanely delicious!! I don't think that there's anyone who hasn't loved them once they've actually tried them. I love your version with the crab and remoulade. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up in the South and those fried green tomatoes look awesome! Paired with crab and remoulade - great flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta love those fried green tomatoes. :) They look great with that crab...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great combo! Sounds interesting and yummy, thanks for the visit ya...

    ReplyDelete
  11. love lump crabmeat, this recipe sounds perfect for a nice brunch....will have to try this one! love your recipes btw...thanks for visting me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting my space peggy. You have a lovely blog here. As I'm a vegetarian, I can't really comment on the taste. But I can surely say that it is very well presented and well shot. Cheers!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a great salad, Peggy, and I love the idea of combining it with the crabmeat. I do a green and red tomato salad with fish, but never thought of frying the tomatoes - thanks for the inspiration.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this looks amazing- My sort of salad! Fried tomatoes and crab! yumm-o!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,

    The sald looks wow...beautiful presentation..Love the clicks too...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a fantastic idea, and looks outstanding! I absolutely love shellfish with fried green tomatoes - in fact, I often serve the tomatoes with a crawfish dressing. This, however, may become my new go-to!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful salad..lovely combo of ingredients!

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds so delicious and refreshing! great idea

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails