Friday, October 22, 2010

Pan Seared Salmon With Zucchini Relish


It's been an eventful week.  Of course, my birthday, work, and school kept me busy as a bee.  Nonetheless, I'm ready for the weekend. 

I'm majorly excited because, just like last year, we're going to be taking our own Christmas card pictures again.  I know what you're thinking, it's not even Halloween and I'm already thinking about Christmas cards!  But I've got a great theme this year and the weather is just right for taking the pictures!  So what is my fabulous idea you ask?  Well... perusing in Target the other day, we found some cheap "ugly" dog sweaters!  And so we bought them, of course!  Well... I bought them, Andy just went along with it.  So me and Andy are going to find some "ugly" Christmas sweaters and take some shots with us and the dogs!  Genius, huh?  Maybe not as cool to you, but trust me... when you see the finished product in a month or two, you'll be impressed.  Or at least laugh at us for being so dorky!

What about you guys?  Do you ever make your own Christmas cards?  What crazy themes do you all come up with?

Anyway, I figured to end the week, I'd do a really elegant salmon dish that I prepared last Sunday.  Enjoy the weekend guys!

Ingredients:


Adapted from Bon Appetit's recipe

For Relish:


1 zucchini, peeled and diced
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon dried parsley
6 tablespoons olive oil
juice from 1 lemon
zest from 1 lemon
salt and pepper, to taste

For Salmon:

2 6 oz. salmon fillets, skin on
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

To put together relish, in a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, feta, onion, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest.  Mix well, and season with salt and pepper, if needed.  Set mixture aside.

Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper on both sides. 

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet under high heat.  Place salmon, skin side down, in skillet and cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until skin is nicely browned.  Carefully turn salmon over and cook for 1-2 more minutes, or until flesh is opaque in the center.

To plate, mound a nice scoop of the relish and top with salmon fillet.  We also made the jalapeno goat cheese hush puppies to have with our meal, also! 


Andy definitely made the comment that the salmon wouldn't have been as good without the relish underneath.  It kind of made itself into it's own "tartar sauce," if you will.  It was quick and easy to prepare and definitely a beautiful site to look at!  Enjoy guys!

19 comments:

  1. that salmon is gorgeous! Such pretty photos! Do you really think the salmon wouldn't have been as good without the relish underneath?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the pictures. You got me curious. This is a great way to make salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious and flavorful! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The relish sounds delicious! It's just what the salmon needed to make it extra special. Happy belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks guys for all the great comments!

    claire - the salmon would definitely still be delicious, the relish just sends it to a whole other level!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this is definitely what I'd pick at a restaurant - nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of making your own christmas cards...way better than getting one of those prepackaged ones with santa in the background. Way not as much fun.

    This salmon looks glorious to me. I haven't cooked salmon in so long and you have induced a serious craving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like relish-type side dishes so I will try the zucchini one. Salmon is such a blank statement most of the time, any side dish complements it well (or so far the ones I have had it with. I can not think salmon and okra together, for example!:).

    Good luck with the cards. I am curious about how they will turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are adorable. What a fun idea. I love making my own Christmas cards...Ryan and I got started two weekends ago. I'm excited to see your photographs. And this salmon looks delicious. Is there anything better than fresh fish and veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That zucchini relish sounds like it would be a great addition to chicken as well. Beautiful healthy dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday!!!!!!

    This meal sounds delicious! I love relishes, gives any veg a nice oomph!

    I can not wait to see how the cards turn out!!! Sounds like an hilarious, yet thoughtful idea! Will the dogs be wearing the sweaters, too?? Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love salmon and this dish looks lovely. And happy birthday too!

    Hey, I've given you two shoutouts in my blog, an award and a game of tag. Check it out when you have a moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday girl!!!

    It's been a super busy week for me as well. hope everything is going well and all your wishes will be coming true! This meal looks deliciously good!!

    Have a great week up ahead!
    jen @ www.passion4food.ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love salmon and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare it. This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it is cool that you guys make your own dorky Xmas cards! Looking forward to seeing the pics. At our home, it used to be fiance and I and the cat. Now, exit us and enter the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa - zucchini relish. That whole meal looks fantastic, but it's the creativity of the relish that really has me intrigued. I'm looking forward to giving this a shot! - And that's some great photography, by the way ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I serve Salmon on Christmas every year specially for one of our good friend who is crazy over salmon. I am going use your recipe this Christmas and the zucchini relish to go with it is a brilliant idea. Look forward to the picture of the cards. Have fun with the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Salmon looks lovely..this would be one of my fav dish..love to try the relish sometime.
    Also thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving your comment.

    Aaha Oho

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails