Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mushroom Meatloaf

Halfway through the week and I've been one busy bee.  Trying to get last minute school-work done, finishing up errands to do before we leave for our Florida trip tomorrow, and getting the dogs situated with some dog sitters (thanks Kendra and Ike!).  I just know that I'm going to forget something!  But I know it will be a great time to be with family and our new family in celebrating my brother's wedding!  Will definitely post pictures next week!

And just a reminder, just about a day and a half left to vote for Challenge #3 in Project Food Blog!  I'd be extremely thankful if you took a minute out of your day to do so!  I didn't get this far without you guys, and of course, you guys are awesome!

I don't know about you, but the more fall-like it gets outside, the more I crave some really great comfort food.  Meatloaf, being one of those grand comforts.  I found this really great mushroom version that was an instant hit, and if I didn't already know that I used mushrooms, and despite there being some beef added in, I would never have thought that the majority of the loaf consisted of mushrooms!  So it's definitely a way to "sneak" some good mushrooms into a meal!

Ingredients:
Adapted from Rocco Dispirito's Now Eat This! - Meatloaf w/ Portobello Mushrooms

8 oz. baby portobello mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
2 eggs
1/3 cup ketchup
1/2 lb. ground beef
small handful parsley, chopped
1/2 cup panko breakcrumbs
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 450 F.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.

Add mushrooms to a food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped.  Scrape into medium bowl.  Add garlic cloves to processor and pulse until finely chopped.  Add eggs and 1 tablespoon of ketchup to the garlic and puree until smooth.  Add garlic/ketchup mixture to mushrooms and mix well.

Add in beef, parsley, and panko bread crumbs to mushroom mixture, as well.  Using your hands, mix well until everything is well combined.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Form the meat/mushroom mixture into a log and place onto prepared baking sheet.  Brush remaining ketchup on top of loaf.  Bake until meatloaf is cooked through, about 25-30 minutes. 

Allow the loaf to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.

We served this with some roasted sweet potatoes and simple gravy.  It was absolutely delicious and a great way to welcome comfort food back into our lives!  Enjoy guys!

(I'll edit the post with our CSA goods later on today after we've picked them up!)

9 comments:

  1. I always add mushrooms to my meatloaf... it makes it extra moist and flavorful. Yours looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meatloaf +++

    Looking absolutely great! It's definitely coming into meatloaf season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meatloaf is one of my favorite comfort foods too...your addition of mushrooms is great...a more adult twist on a childhood favorite. Have a safe trip this weekend...thanks for sharing love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally registered at foodbuzz so I could vote for you (which I did of course)! Now, however, I am really confused about how the site works...
    Anyway, have a great time at the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Thanx for the visit to my blog...Keep on visiting!!:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks fabulous I must try it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I am always looking for a new meatloaf recipe!! Looks delicious. Have fun on your trip and best wishes with the wedding plans. How exciting!1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice meatloaf recipe...healthy tooo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails