Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sauteed Bok Choy


Today is a special day.  Why, you ask?  It's only Wednesday, what could be so special about this day?  Well... 25 years ago, on some island of the Philippines... I was born.  Yep, I've reached my "quarter of a century" mark.  I don't exactly know how to feel about that.  What exactly have I done in that 25 years?  Have I wasted it?  Have I lived it up?

I just don't know, really.  There's nothing in those 25 years I would take back, or do over.  I've always been a kind of person that's thought of life as a never ending journey.  Certain things get us to where we are in the present, and certain things get us to our future.  I'd like to think that I'm pretty satisfied with my 25 years of life.  I mean, let's take a look at some things:

- I fully support myself, and my expensive eating habits.
- I'm engaged to an amazing, although sometimes immature, man.
- I have a job that I, for the most part, enjoy.
- I'm in college (for a tad bit longer than I had hoped, but I'm getting there)
- I've never broken any bones or had any major health problems.
- I have 2 dogs (which growing up practically petrified of animals, I find this a major accomplishment)
- I have family that, although downright crazy in every way possible, I know that I can rely on.
- I've never been robbed or had my identity stolen (which is a constant fear of mine).
- I'm 25 years old and I can cook like no other 25 year old that I, personally, know (of course, out in the blog-o-sphere, that's quite different)
- I've experienced practically every emotion, been through ups and downs, and still remain a strong person.

I know those are just simple things, that most of us take for granted, but I can't forget how thankful I am to be in the position I'm in.  Doing what I love, and having a positive support circle around me!  I hope that my next quarter of a century, I can add plenty more to that list.




So because I'm taking it easy today, after all... it is my birthday... I have a simple, yet delicious recipe!  I'm going to let my mother cook me dinner and Andy apparently has a phenomenal cake up his sleeve for dessert... I'm sure I'll fill you guys in tomorrow!

Ingredients

1 bunch bok choy
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 to 4 tablespoons chicken stock
salt and pepper, to taste

Clean and chop the bok choy to medium sized pieces.

Heat olive oil under medium high heat and add garlic.  Cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.


Turn the heat on high and add the bok choy and give it a quick stir. Then add the oyster sauce, chicken stock or water and season with sea salt.  Mix well and cook for a couple more minutes.  Serve immediately.

I decided to one up myself, and instead of serving this a side, I used it as a topping!  For an awesome turkey sandwich...


But you can definitely have this as a side to practically any dish!  It's so delicious and simple!  Comes together really fast too!  Enjoy guys!

And here's the CSA goodies:


1 baguette
1 bunch of radishes
2 lbs. apples
1 bunch mustard green
1 pumpkin
2 lbs. red potatoes
1 acorn squash

11 comments:

  1. What a great alternative to use this in a sandwich instead of plain lettuce, and much healthier too. My family loves Asian flavors so this dish would go over really well with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Instead of a day, just celebrate the whole week!

    25 did not hit me as much as 30 hit! So enjoy it:) (sorry, talked like an old, bitter woman! But I am not!:) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!
    And thanks for sharing the bok choy recipe...I've never made it at home. This looks like a good one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! And yes, you should be very proud of the life that you have. You have been truly blessed, and in turn, you bless so many others. Thank you for sharing this simple yet satisfying bok choy recipe. Your turkey sandwich just looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to you! I wish your next 25 years to be as good as the previous. It was such a great idea to use it in the sandwich very original.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! It sounds to me like you accomplished a lot in your first quarter of a century. Good job! And as you wrote, the important thing is having no regrets, not wanting to change anything. That is already a first big step. Hope you had a great dinner and a super cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy birthday! hope you have an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, happy birthday! Your list of accomplishments and blessings is great -- not only because you obviously have much to be proud of and that I'm sure makes you happy, but also because you seem so down-to-earth and realistic, you sound like you take life as it comes & live it every moment to its fullest.

    And that is reason to celebrate! Go eat summa that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy happy birthday, Peggy! I loved how you wrote about the "simple" things that you are proud of and happy about. Those are what a good life is all about! Best of luck in school, in your engagement and in what lies ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again happy birthday!!!! you're photos, as your recipes, keeps getting more and more awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bok Choy is new to me...and imagine my surprise when I found it at our Farmers Market down here in the hills! Giggles Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails