Monday, October 18, 2010

Fried Chicken Spinach Salad


Phew that weekend just flew by, didn't it?!  It seems like there's never enough time to catch up!  But here Monday is, again, without fail.  It's been a hectic day, that's for sure.  The one thing that put a smile on my face, is that the local radio station I listen to on the way home, 91.9 WFPK, played a song from a band that Andy used to be in, Clyde.  I was mad at Andy today, for Lord knows what (something trivial I'm sure), but I couldn't help but smile when I heard the song playing.  Of course, I am no longer mad, and realize it was stupid to be mad in the first place.

Anyway, I've got a fancy for salads lately, and adding fried chicken strips is just the icing on the cake for me (of course, you could definitely be healthier than I, and go with grilled chicken strips, but there's no fun in that, now is there)


Ingredients:
Adapted from How Sweet It Is Blog - Roasted Apple, Pecan, and Chicken Spinach Salad

Fried Chicken Spinach Salad



 2 cups baby spinach
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
1 apple, chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 ounce pecans
2 chicken thighs, deboned
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet under high heat, add vegetable oil. 

On a small plate, combine the flour, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and salt & pepper.  Dredge chicken thighs in flour mixture, shaking off excess. 

Add thighs to skillet and fry for about 5-7 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through.  Let rest on a cutting board for about 5 minutes. Slice chicken into small pieces and set aside.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 F.

Sprinkle apples with cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Spread in an even layer on baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, or until caramelized.

Combine spinach, chicken, pecans, cucumbers, and apples together. Top with dressing (recipe below). 


Apple Cider Vinaigrette 


1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients together and whisk well. Top salads with desired amount of dressing.

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing what a little music can do? I need to pull out my Ipod and put on some positive vibrations. Thanks for reminding me of a way to cope with all this mess. And your salad looks delicious. Bring on the fried chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUUUUUUUUM! Haha! Love the ingredients used here!! The photo is awesome, makes me want to eat it now!! Glad your day is better and you're no longer mad at your hubby to be :) OMG I am still thinking about the salad. Haha. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your salad looks lovely and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! this looks phenomenal- your photos look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. healthy salad
    an award for you
    http://torviewtoronto.blogspot.com/p/awards-and-publications.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I eat many salads too, especially now that I am on a diet. This is a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love salads and so does the rest of the family and your recipe looks delicious! Love the pecans in this and the vinaigrette looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails