Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chicken Tostadas


It's getting pretty ridiculous in the heat department, isn't it?  It is here in Louisville, anyway.   It's sitting at a nice 97F right now.  And yes, I do still have to play volleyball in this crap tonight.

So when it's hot like this, firing up the stove or the oven is the last thing I want to do.  This is when I have to start getting creative for dinner.  And we all know how fun it is to get creative with leftovers, right?  So if you just roasted a chicken the day before - or possibly made Jonathan Waxman's Chicken Al Forno (which is AMAZING, by the way) the night before for dinner (which, if you haven't gotten the hint - I did) - then you can have dinner the next day ready in no time.  Well, that is if you planned to have leftovers of the al forno!


Ingredients:



Leftover chicken, shredded
Salsa verde, homemade or store-bought
15 oz can seasoned black beans, drained
1 large tomato, chopped
Shredded cheddar cheese (I had a chipotle blend that was THE bomb!)
6 corn tortillas

Now, I know I promised I wouldn't turn on the oven for this one - but it's really only to crisp up your corn tortillas.

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Place corn tortillas directly onto the center oven rack (or if you wanted to dirty up a baking sheet - be my guest).  Bake for about 3-5 minutes, or until tortillas are crisp and golden.

Heat your shredded chicken in the microwave (if you want - I left mine cold because we're trying to cool down remember?).

Place 3 tortillas on a plate.  Top with desired amount of black beans, shredded cheese, chicken, tomatoes, and salsa verde.


Easy as pie right?  And totally hits the spot, too!  You could definitely do this with any leftover protein and veggie combo.  I just used what I had on hand and had dinner ready in no time!

Hope you guys stay cool - I'm off to get ready for my volleyball game (and seriously contemplating letting Andy spray me with the hose before I go - he's out watering the grass right now, hehe)

31 comments:

  1. Oh man I just looove tostadas! the texture, the taste~ :) I like that this one is baked, youpiii

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look soooooo good! I am totally craving mexican too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This a great tasty idea to use leftover roasted chicken!...and stylish too with Mexican flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love chicken, love salsa; brilliant combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chicken tostadas look delicious, a perfect meal for any time of the day.
    Hope you are having a wonderful week Peggy and thank you so much for the visit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your yummy chicken tostadas...looks so inviting and delicious.
    Also like your new Template Layout...very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god Peggy! I love your engagement photo headers!!! How cute is the one with the ice cream cones =D

    I just made Mexican food too! These look delicious and they are perfect for a weeknight meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pics - I love chicken tostadas and yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and I have all the ingredients in the house...perfect on one of our busy nights.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leftovers or no, Hot weather or no - these look pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, isn't this weather insane? I drove through Louisville on the way to Nashville last week...and I was relieved the weather was only the same, not hotter down there. Now on to these lovely tostadas...PERFECT remedy for the heat....I bet they're fabulous without even crisping up the tortillas~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa! These look fantastic! We read about the heat problems in the US every day. With it being winter down under it makes us feel warmer. :)

    Your tostadas are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummmmy! I really want these... They look really good! :) I hope the weather cools off a little soon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving me a note. Hope to see you more often.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look great! Tostadas are my second favorite Mexican dish. The first being chicken taquitos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Peggy, thks for introducing me to this Chicken Tostadas. Certainly makes a good snack!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect for starters in a party.. Looks so nice...

    ReplyDelete
  18. When it's this hot out, I love taking whatever's in teh fridge and turning it into a burrito or taco or tostada...and it looks like you feel the same! This sounds super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice way of making a new recipe from leftover chicken and the beans looks gorgeous with all the rest of the ingredients added in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The weather is amazingly cool and pleasant here in Italy this summer, or at least for those of us in the city...people vacationing by the sea or in the mountains probably wouldn't agree. Question: how do you guys always manage to have leftovers of great dishes? We never seem to be able to save anything...

    ReplyDelete
  21. The heat is unbearable here too...I love how easy this is.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks amazing! The Chicken Tostados look great! I know it is really to hot to be cooking in the kitchen!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. YUM! My tummy just roared like a best so you've clearly got its approval. Great dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love simple recipes like this, especially ones that use leftover roasted chicken. What a great shortcut! And DEFINITELY keeps the house from overheating, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OK, these tostadas look delicious; I'm always a sucker for easy Mexican. Really, though...I've been away a while, and am just way more excited about the adorable engagement shots I'm seeing for the first time in the header. SO cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Perfect dinner recipe for tonight. These look so delicious. My mouth is watering. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. We could do with some of your heat. Someone ran away with our summer sun in Paris. So if I eat these gorgeous tostadas we may just think we're in sunshine paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my! These looks amazing! :P

    I grilled last night and thought I my literally self-combust in the heat! So ready for Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a great way to use leftover chicken. all it needs in my humble opinion is some avocado and sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love tostadas, but never thought to put leftover chicken on them. Next time I roast a bird, this is what we're having the next day! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails