Friday, July 29, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Toffee Crunch


Happy Friday guys!

I'm so glad the weekend is upon us!  I've still got to work tomorrow, but I've got Sunday and Monday off, so it's not too bad.

Any plans for the weekend?  We're probably going to be lazy - I know I'm going to be catching up on some sleep! 

Anyway, I thought I would end the week with a sweet treat!  It won the last bi-weekly poll and was a winner in our house too!  The original recipe had some Caramel Frosting to go with it - but I wasn't in the mood to fool with frosting and just kept them simple with some chocolate ganache and toffee bits. 

And don't forget to vote in this week's bi-weekly poll - I'm obviously in the mood for something chocolately!




Ingredients:
Adapted from Bakers Royale's recipe

1 cup flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons hot coffee
1/2 cup Heath toffee bits



Chocolate Ganache:


2/3 cups dark chocolate
2 tablespoons whole milk



In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.

Add the butter, eggs, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for one minute.  Stir in hot coffee.

Beat for 20-30 seconds until the batter is smooth. The batter will be slightly on the thin side. 

Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.  Divide the batter evenly among the liners. Bake 18-22 minutes just until a toothpick inserted into a few of the cupcakes comes out clean. Set the pan on a rack to cool completely.


To make the ganache, place the dark chocolate and milk in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds.  Stir until combined and smooth (you can heat again in 15 second intervals if chocolate isn't completely melted).

Once cupcakes are cooled, dip the tops into the ganache and sprinkle desired amound of toffee bits on top! 

These were delicious!  So simple and just enough of that toffee crunch to bring these to another level!  I think Andy had one of these for breakfast everyday for the past week - so we know he liked them!

Have a great weekend guys!

43 comments:

  1. Oh, God, chocolate and toffee; amazing combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good I think the ganache is a nice touch. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think this is a better marriage then chocolate and toffee...except chocolate and more chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cupcakes. Extra toffe crunch for me please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome cuppies, can I have a few?
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks gorgeous.. Loved the topping

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazing! Enjoy your weekend of relaxing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great idea on the topping, these do look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cupcakes. The toffee crunch sounds so delicious. I would love one of these right now. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some plans to be lazy this weekend, too. And did you do a redesign? I hope it wasn't too long ago and I'm just unobservant--love it! Cupcakes look yummm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmmmmmm Plans for this weekend??? How about a Rascal Flatts concert :) yep yep Im excited! Love these cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate? Toffee? Oh, yeah! These are gorgeous, not to mention a fabulous flavor combination!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so yummy!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a note! Hope to see you often.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally Friday! The best plan for the weekend is to be lazy! Nutting beats that after a long weeks work, but I am sure I’ll get bored and whisk something up in the kitchen again.
    I love your chocolate cupcakes! How many cupcakes do you get out of this recipe? Since my hubby complained about getting too “fat” I need to cut down on the quantities.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want that ganache! These sound so good. Toffee and chocolate is a great combo, these sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks wonderful! I'd like a cupcake. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The topping is so great, esp with toffee bits.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so good! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look terrific! I voted! I hope you have a great weekend and enjoy your Sun & Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  20. uhm...wowwwww? I think that sums this up! Delicious recipe, utterly delicious, you have such a lovely blog and i love the idea of a voting system thang :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love to have a bite into it... Those toffee pieces at the top make it sooo special :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum yum! Sounds delicious with the toffee crunch topping. Love the new site design! Have a great weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Toffee crunch? yum! I've been a bit behind on blog reading, so this is the first time I've noticed your new header. love it! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ending the week with a sweet treat is ALWAYS a good idea! Especially one with toffee crunch...sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Delicious! I love toffee, and when I saw these cupcakes on my blog reader...I was already drooling! They look so good! I hope you have a great weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. If these passed the "hubby ate them for breakfast test," they're definitely a must try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, that looks delicious, will have to try this soon,you've been buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank goodness these won the vote, the cupcakes look scrumptious! Is that a new banner you have up there, Peggy? It's just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Chocolate and toffee! Yummy... Sound fabulous, Peggy! Thanks for sharing... Bookmarking this one!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yum, yum, yum! This looks fantastic! And I'm envious of your day off tomorrow :) Enjoy it! Buzzed

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are really beautiful and simple cupcakes, I love that there isn't a ton of frosting on them. Perfect with the toffee crumble!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love what the addition of a little coffee does for chocolate. Of course, I love chocolate in any style....

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love that you used chocolate ganache and toffee chips instead of regular frosting. These sound quite tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The cupcakes looks super perfect and that addition of coffee is great. Looks YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  35. great sweet, love the ganache parired with toffee crunch, yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a delicious cupcake recipe! I usually do my ganache with fresh cream, but this lighter version looks equally delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my gosh those look so awesome! You can't beat chocolate cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This looks great. I prefer crunchy top to a frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your site is wonderful. I’m so satisfied to have discovered you.I appreciate to this one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails