Monday, July 11, 2011

Black Bean Nachos


Happy Monday guys!  Let me tell you how mine started.  Well, if you're friends with me on Facebook, you probably already know.   But I'll tell you again because, frankly, I just need to vent. 

Before I left for work, I went to take the dogs for a walk.  As I'm walking, a biker is coming up towards us, and happens to have a dog along with him.  One of our dogs (Mocha), decides to book-it towards the dog and gets undone from her collar - this is one of those "oh sh*t" moments.  So after some sniffing in some inappropriate spots, I get Mocha away from the other dog (all while still handling our other dog, Zappa).  So I tell Mocha to "sit" and she does, but as soon as I come up to her to put her collar back on, she shoots off in another direction.  So this goes on for a good 10 minutes (maybe it was only 2 or 3, but my patience was getting thin and it seemed like an eternity) until I finally get her collar back on her.  So yeah, not the kind of Monday morning I thought I'd be having.

Anyway, we had our engagement picture session on Saturday and we had so much fun in the park!  I can't wait to see the final results and share them with you all - so stay tuned!

We made these nachos for dinner last week and they're just loaded with good stuff!  They're meatless, so even better for my vegetarian readers!  Although, I think we may try this next time with some chorizo!

Ingredients:

Tortilla chips
15 oz. can seasoned black beans, drained
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 & 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, plus more for topping
1/2 cup chipotle cheddar cheese (or regular cheddar cheese, but a friend of mine brought me this from Wisconsin a few days ago!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
Sour cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 F.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil under medium high heat.  Add onions and both bell peppers.  Saute until softened, about 6-8 minutes.  Stir in black beans and cook until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and top with tortilla chips (I used about 3/4 of a bag).  Top with bean and pepper mixture.  Then add mozzarella and cheddar cheeses.

Baking in oven for about 10 minutes, or until cheeses are melted and slightly browned.

Top with additional cheese and sour cream, if desired. 

This was such a filling dinner that we didn't even miss the meat!  I'm loving easy dinners like this nowadays because it seems like our (work) days are getting longer, so it's nice to have a quick meal planned like this!  Feel free to vary on the toppings - jalapenos would be a nice spicy addition to this too!


How do you like your nachos?

See you all tomorrow!

25 comments:

  1. Can I tell you that I am a complete and total Nacho Making Failure? They always get kind of soggy, even though I don't overload. I will follow your lead, perhaps I can master something savory yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delicious! I love black beans and do not see them very often in nacho -form. Also, it is so challenging to photograph this type of dish and make it look appetizing, and I must say you nailed it. Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh mannn I can't wait for your photos!! :D The engagement pictures are still further in the future for me, but I'm already so excited to start the photoshoots haha. I like my nachos spicy ay ay ay!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you on that dog-escape-routine. My dog, Sully...he was so guilty of that act! Usually at the most inappropriate times when I really needed him to listen.
    The nachos look awesome---yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These black bean nachos with chipotle cheese sounds awesome. waiting for the pictures of engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are wonderful! i love the black beans and peppers! cant wait to see your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely believe in nachos as a meal! Black beans are a great touch. Sorry your morning was rough. Mondays have a way of being less than pleasant :( Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the doggie incident, but the nachos look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy looking combination looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  10. can't wait to c the pictures peggy- best wishes n cheers and nice recipe for the nachos !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peggy, the nachos dish is wonderful and I loved your presentation so much! The addition of black beans to this dish is making it more tempting than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sooooo scrummy! That is a type of dish I crave all the time. Comforting and lipsmackingly good.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  13. that sounds like such a crazy start to your week! I often wonder what goes on in the minds of dogs when they do things like that...

    These nachos look fabulous! comfort food but still good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy looking dip for crunchy nachos...

    ReplyDelete
  15. These nachos look hearty and it's hard to believe they're meatless. Reading about your dog, I have to share with you about my fascination with Cesar Milan, the so-called dog whisperer but I'm not too sure about that choke collar he uses. Anyway, can't wait to see your engagement photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am hoping your Tuesday is off to a better start. After a start to the day like that I can imagine how much better the evening was when you sat down to a plate of these nachos. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! I looove nachos. Beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a start to the week :D I love nachos! And the flavors in this sound incredible! Great recipe :) Can't wait to see the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Definitely not a typical monday, but these black bean nachos should definitely make up for it! They look crunchy and tasty. Looking forward to your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's not an easy Monday morning...
    The nachos look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, these look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a delicious looking nachos! I completely missed out your Monday struggle on Facebook! I can't wait to see the engagement pictures! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I could eat nachos everyday and your no meat version looks fab! Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails