Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Meyer Lemon Poundcake Cupcakes


Well, this post would have come sooner if a certain somebody didn't mistakenly take the USB cable for my camera with him to work instead of his own camera's cable.  But... I'm not complaining.  I've let go of that grudge. Hehe.  But trust me, I wasn't a happy camper earlier.

Anyway, it's been a pretty cruddy day.  It hasn't stopped raining since this morning and the sky is a depressing shade of gray.  Days like these I just want to stay home and bake.  Bake things that brighten up my day and my mood.  Like these cupcakes.  Guaranteed to turn any depressing, gray day into something bright and beautiful!

I brought these into work earlier this week and they practically vanished in no time!  And funny conversation, I told them I used Meyer Lemons and kind of educated them on the difference between it and a regular old lemon, and the whole time I was saying Meyer lemons, my coworkers were thinking I was talking about the grocery store we have around here, Meijer (pronounced the same way), and so they were a bit puzzled why those lemons were so special.  Silly, silly coworkers.  I really have to give them some more citrus education soon. 

Anyway, without further ado (I mean, you've waited long enough), one of the best cupcakes I've ever had...

Ingredients:
Adapted from Cooking on the Side's recipe

They're just waiting to be eaten.

For cupcakes:

3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
2 & 3/4 cups flour

1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
juice from 1 Meyer lemon
zest from 1 Meyer lemon


For glaze:


1 cup powdered sugar
juice from 1 Meyer lemon


I'm tellin' ya, they go quick!

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Line a muffin tin with paper liners.

In a medium bowl, combine flour and corn starch.

In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until fluffy and creamy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Alternate adding the flour and heavy whipping cream to sugar and eggs.  Stir in vanilla, lemon juice and zest.


Fill each paper liner about 3/4 full with batter.  I had enough batter to make 18 cupcakes and a whole loaf in a bread pan.


Bake cupcakes for about 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake come out clean.  If you decide to make a loaf as well, bake for about 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean.


Remove cupcakes from muffin tin and cool on a cooling rack until at room temperature.

To make the glaze, in a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice.  Using a whisk attachment, beat until glaze is smooth and free of lumps from sugar.  Add more lemon juice, if desired.  Top cupcakes with glaze.


Seriously, these were amazing.  The pound cake was perfectly dense and had just the slightest lemon tinge, which was perfect for me - and apparently Andy also, who ate like 5 in one sitting.  Whether you make a loaf or a cupcake, you'll have a hard time keeping these around because I've noticed they have a tendency to just disappear!  Enjoy guys!

29 comments:

  1. These sound amazing! I love lemon baked goods. They're always satisfying but not too sweet. When I bake, there's always a good chance of something going awry, but I may have to attempt these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those cupcakes sound delicious! I love using meyer lemons, they add so much flavor, and just cheer me up...sigh
    Using pound cake for those cupcakes was really a nice touch, the lemons just put them over the top!

    hey I guess its true, great minds think alike!
    Cheers
    Dennis+

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, really nice cupcakes. Love lemon and I love pound cake. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mayer lemon cupcakes looks awesome. I am a fan of citrus in my baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, we are on the same page. I made a lemon cake this weekend. Similar to yours but my flour and cornstarch were equal amounts, and the cake turned out crumbly. My mom said I should have been using wheat starch but can not find the damn thing in the stores now! But I guess if I take your ratio as a guide, maybe it will turn out less crumbly that I can actually put it on a fork instead of inhaling the crumbs from the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, I'm drooling! Pass some over pleeeeeese :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love lemon flavor in baked items! drools over flavor

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lemon cake and this is so perfect... Cute little cupcakes... Would have been heaven to gobble them down

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look yummy! I love pound cake, and lemon pound cake sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something described as "one of the best cupcakes I've ever had" is definitely a must try!! We had a Meyer lemon tree when we first got married and I was so sad to leave it... I've driven past the house again and saw a huge, beautiful tree!! At least someone is enjoying it.
    My family loves most anything lemon, my mother in particular. I'm eager to make them!

    On another note, I meant to write you earlier and thank you for your wonderful comments on Dennis' and our blog!! We truly appreciate it! Liv, my dad and I read all the comments and yours was particularly special. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So moist and delicious! Love the addition of lemon juice, they bring out that tangy taste....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love citrus flavours in my baked goodies...those must be really aromatic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meyer lemons are the best! These poundcake cupcakes look too good to pass up. I will be making those!

    And it's funny you mentioned the USB cable story - we do that a lot here too... wrong laptop, wrong cable, etc. hahaha and yes I definitely got over them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know the feeling when things go AWOL when you want them and find a certain person has either moved them or taken them along!
    These cakes look so delicious, lemon always gives cooking a great taste. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. So genius! My sister has a Meyer lemon tree- I have a feeling if I show her this recipe she will let me use her lemons :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can almost taste them. Congratulations on your wedding dress, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would LOVE to take a bite of one of those muffins, they look really good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am SO happy to see these because I have some meyer lemons here that are desperately begging to be turned into these!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A bite of this would create your own personal sunshine above your head! And that was a funny story on meyer lemons! LOL. I bet they were wondering whether you were moonlighting as a Meijer promoter in your spare time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look delicious! And I wish I could get Meyer or Meijer lemons here in Danville! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can see why they vanished; that glaze would add a great finishing touch just the way I love lemon goodies.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pound cake has always been one of my favorites... that dense texture just can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love meyer lemons...and pound cake!
    Yummm :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whoops! Still raining here...I love the rain...would love even more with some of these happy muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  25. such lovely cakes!! I really need to grow meyer lemons now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look so yummy and cute! You have some lucky co workers even if they don't know what a meyer lemon is!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those are beautiful! I can't wait to bake them and then consume all of them!

    Great blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xx
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really wish I could get my hands on those lemons! These look gorgeous and I'm a huge fan of all desserts with lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe, and what a terrific idea to turn it into cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails