Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Flank Steak Tacos


This past Sunday, I had a few friends over for a little shindig.  I was kind of worried because there was a forecast that it was supposed to rain all day, but you know what?  It didn't rain a drop!  And it was great because for the first time this year, we got to eat out back on the patio.  It was the perfect weather, the perfect company, and some damn delicious food!


We've been on a healthy kick this week, and this was a perfect way to start it off.  The simplicity of the salsa and the lean cut of meat made for a delicious meal!  Even mocha was happy about it -


Ingredients:
Adapted from Food & Wine's recipe


3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
4 scallions, chopped
small handful of cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup mint leaves, chopped
1 jalapeno, halfway seeded (I like the heat) and minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
juice from 1 lemon
salt and pepper, to taste
1 large flank steak (about 1-2 lbs.)
olive oil, for rubbing
warm flour tortillas, optional
sour cream, optional
1 onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced


Light a charcoal grill under medium high heat.


Take a medium sized sheet (12 by 12 inches) of aluminum foil and place onions and both bell peppers in the middle.  Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over vegetables and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Gently toss and fold over edges of aluminum foil to loosely enclose ingredients.  Place on indirect heat on the grill and allow to cook for about 20-25 minutes or until softened, but still somewhat crisp.


In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, mint, jalapeno, garlic, and lemon juice.  Mix well and season with salt and pepper, to taste.


Rub the flank steak on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Grill over high heat until charred and cooked to about medium rare to medium, about 8 minutes per side.  It really depends on the size of your flank steak on this one, the timing can vary. (I think I had a steak a little under 2 lbs.)

Transfer steak to a cutting board to rest for about 5 minutes before cutting. 

Warm your tortillas on the grill for about 30 seconds, if you want to.

Now I know this may be blasphemy, but I first cut the steak in half, along the grain.  I wouldn't normally do this, but the steak was so wide and I didn't want huge slices in my small tortillas.  Then slice against the grain and transfer slices to a platter.

Place about 3-4 steak slices in the tortilla shells and top with salsa, grilled vegetables, and sour cream. 

We served this with a side of rice and black beans.  It was seriously the perfect springtime meal.  We couldn't have asked for better weather (the breeze was light, the warmth was perfect!).  So next time you're in a rut for what to make... let this be it!  You won't be sorry!  Enjoy your Wednesday guys!

18 comments:

  1. Your tacos look wonderful; I never would have thought to use the grill to prepare them, so I am saving this recipe.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fantastic! What a sweet puppy smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those taco's, so many great flavors packed in there! Mocha is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds like a must try. I love my beef and a flank steak is right up on my list of favorite cuts. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pup and DELISH looking tacos! I love flank steak and your marinade looks like it is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love flank steak! This looks delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love tacos, but I don't know why we've never made them with flank steak...what a fabulous idea! I love your Mocha...sweet pooch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tacos looks delicious. Mocha is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww...I LOVE Mocha. Let me scratch those ears!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looooove flank steak! I know these fajitas tastes better than they look! SO happy it didn't rain on your BBQ! I see you made beans along with it. You know I love beans!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tacos are one of the best things to serve to friends...always a crowd pleaser! Yours have all of my favorite components and I would have LOVED to be a guest at your BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These tacos must taste amazing with flank steaks. Love the addition of mint.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a tempting platter! Looks yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pics - I could really eat one of those babies right now :-)

    My best,
    Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  15. awww did mocha get a taco too!? =) hehe

    they look great! hooray grilling weather!

    http://www.peasandcrayons.com/2011/03/fabric-covered-phone-case-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! I love tacos!!! Thanks for sharing this, can't wait to try it out!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails