Friday, March 25, 2011

Honey-Caramel Ice Cream Sundaes



It's Friday!  Woop.  Woop!  The only bummer about Fridays, for the next 11 weeks, is that Andy has a class until 10pm.  Yup.  Meaning that my Friday nights will pretty much consist of me hanging out with the dogs at home.  I'm so exciting, aren't I?!

With the exception of this Friday night.  My friend Kendra and I just had dinner at Varanese (you know, my fave restaurant in all of Louisville).  Needless to say, I'm in a rather food-induced sort of coma.  It was so friggin' good. 

Yeah, I waited until the last minute to post the last poll winner, didn't I?  I promise, I try to post them earlier, but life gets in the way.  Busy busy, as can be.  But you'll forgive me, I'm sure.  After you see how awesome this ice cream is. =)  Oh... and don't forget to vote for the new poll down below!


Ingredients:
Adapted from The Perfect Scoop



1/2 cup honey (buy local! - if you can)
1 & 1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 & 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, plus 1 tablespoon
5 egg yolks
about 10 soft caramel candies
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
bananas, optional
sesame seed brittle, optional (recipe below)
chocolate syrup, optional


Sesame Seed Brittle
Adapted from The Perfect Scoop

1/2 cup mixture of black and white sesame seeds
3 tablespoon honey

In a small saucepan, heat the honey until warm.  Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

In a large saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, and salt until warm and sugar is dissolved.

Pour the heavy cream into a large bowl and place a metal strainer over top.  Pour the honey into the cream and stir until combined.

In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until combined.  Slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the egg yolk bowl, whisking constantly.  Then transfer egg yolk mixture back to sauce pan over medium heat.  Stir constantly with a heatproof spatula until mixture thickens and coats spatula.

Pour the custard into the strainer over the heavy cream and stir until mixed together.  Place bowl in an ice bath to cool.  Once at room temperature, cover mixture with plastic wrap and allow to sit in refrigerator overnight.

The next day, melt the caramel candies with 1 tablespoon of heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl.  (30 second intervals until caramel is smooth should do it).  Let cool to room temperature.

Take custard mixture out of the fridge and prepare in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions, about 30 minutes or so.  About a minute or two before it is done, drizzle cooled caramel into machine to create a "swirl".

To prepare sesame brittle, heat 3 tablespoons of honey in a sauce pan until warm.  Add sesame seeds and fold in until coated with honey.

Preheat oven to 350 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.

Spread honey-sesame mixture over foil in an even layer.  Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden.  Watch it carefully because it can burn rather quickly.  Let cool until hardened.  Then break up into pieces.

In a medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter.  Slice banana into 1/2 inch slices.  Add bananas to skillet and fry until warmed and slightly browned/carmelized.  Remove from skillet and allow to cool slightly.

To assemble sundaes, place 3 scoops of ice cream in a bowl.  Top with semi-warm bananas (in my opinion, there is nothing better than warm bananas and ice cream!) and sesame seed brittle.  Drizzle chocolate sauce on top, if desired.  Try not to eat the whole thing.  I dare you.

This was awesome.  Damn awesome, if I do say so myself.  I loved the ice cream.  The honey and caramel were two different dimensions of sweetness that paired so well together.  Try it out.  I know you'll love it!

Enjoy your weekend guys!


What should I make this weekend???


35 comments:

  1. Honey caramel ice cream looks awesome. Love to try them. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm! This looks good! Gonna have to make this soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ice cream makes me drool...fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ice cream looks very yummy!.....have a great weekend!!.....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I can't wait until it gets warm enough here to warrant busting out my ice cream maker. Not that the rain has stopped me from buying ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. coincidental but true, only yesterday hubby asked me to make some caramel ice cream and now here you are with the perfect recipe..

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, yum...this honey caramel ice cream sundae somehow looks more enticing the more it melts! And I'm totally digging your sesame seed brittle. I love the look, the texture and I'm sure if I took a bite, the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been waiting for this post and the icecream looks so divine...

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful , it looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is looking delish...mmm...must have been so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love sundaes - this looks really good. I must try :-)

    My best,
    Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks awesome! I'm a total sucker for an ice cream sundae :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I spent my Friday night hanging out with episodes of Grey's Anatomy. Wish I had a dog to chill with!

    This sundae. Is. Amazing. I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely- fingerlivking good it is !@

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never have satisfying results when making ice-cream at home :( Yours looks so delicious!!!! Thank you for sharing and have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds amazing! I love the idea of honey caramel ice cream and adding in the brittle would give it such a great texture contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious and a wonderful combination

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an ice cream! I am looking forward to a summer of the homemade stuff and I may start with this one. That brittle sounds so good as well! I need to get the details on this restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh please may I have some of that Ice cream!!! It looks so very very good, and the brittle, wow....what a great flavor combination!!!
    I hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness! You sure know how to "stage" a sundae! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Peggy! If you are my neighbor, I'll be at your house everyday...or at least I'm in your kitchen learning every single meal from you. You cook all kinds of dishes and I'm just happy to follow you. I'm going to make sesame seed brittle for my non-homemade ice cream. =P

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum ice cream! the sesame seed brittle sounds just fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  23. Perfection, yummy fantastic! Would love a taste right now Peggy and it's only 10:00 AM
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  24. QUE DELICIA UN POSTRE ESPECIAL DE DÍA DOMINGO,PRECIOSO,CARIÑOS,BUEN DÍA DOMINGO PARA TÍ.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can I have a bite? hehe! it looks soooooo good! yum!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks inviting and sumptuous! loved the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am an ice cream lover and like the addition of the brittle. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, this is exactly what Friday night should be like! A well deserved sweet indulgence to celebrate the weekend. Mmmmm, love this sundae!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The brittle sounds like a perfect pairing with the ice cream. I am really looking forward to busting out my ice cream maker and going to town on some fun concoctions - and I will certainly try this one out! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This sounds so delicious! I love the flavor of honey! In caramel it would be divine, especially with the crunchy brittle and creamy ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a neat post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a neat post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails