Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I've Got An Itch...

... and not of the unhealthy variety.

These came a couple weeks ago and I've been itching to get them started.  But it's still early yet.  Couple more weeks and I can probably start them inside so they're ready for mid-April planting.



Not pictured are the Truffle Tomatoes (really excited about this hybrid) that I ordered plants for, instead of seeds.  I tried doing the tomatoes from seeds last year, and they just wouldn't grow, so I figured I'd allow myself for a head start by purchasing the plants themselves.  They get delivered closer to actual planting time, so I'm pretty excited about those!  Also, I've decided to grow some herbs - parsley and cilantro, because I use them the most in the kitchen (and I hate when I buy a bunch and it goes bad before I can use it all!).

Any helpful gardening tips?  Last year, I ran into the problem of squirrels digging in my soil (fixed that by putting some racks in the soil - unconventional, but hey, improvisation never hurt anyone) and ants.  I'm trying to stay as organic as possible, so I didn't use any pesticides last year.

13 comments:

  1. I love the name of your blog --- gave me a little chuckle :-) I am planning to do my first garden in a few years on my husband's uncle's farm. Aren't fresh veggies from your own garden the best?!! I'm a little worried about critters getting in, so I'll be checking back on your comments to see what hints you get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time with rabbits. I'm thinking of making a little fence with stakes and chicken wire, but I'm not sure if it will work.

    By the way, where do you get your organic seeds from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I planted some beans and snake gourd, however, if they didn't show up i have to plant them again. Looks like you have nice collection of seeds. I need to plant some marigold because it prevent some beetles attacking from the tomato plant,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have a black thumb---no tips from me :)

    I have only successfully grown things inside in pots...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of truffle tomatoes! I must see if I can find the seed here (or order them at the least).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want a garden so badly. I can't wait to start something soon! The weather this weekend was such a tease. I need more warm weather and some time outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh i'm so excited to start planting and trying to keep things alive this year (almost everything died last year!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, good luck! One day I shall live somewhere that can have a garden...

    ReplyDelete
  9. truffle tomatoes sound so interesting! I've never had them before. I'm excited for you - those are going to be delicious and so convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to grow my own herbs and vegetables for quite some time now but living in New York makes it a little difficult. A truffle tomato sandwich would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We put in some lettuce and peas already here in Virginia. They are early spring crops and we thought why not? Seems like we're having an early spring. My husband has been known to put chicken wire over our raised beds to keep the diggers out. Dogs also help with the squirrel population :) We always buy tomatoe plants - no seeds. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. two years ago I planted my own veggies from seeds and as much as I tried to pick them the deers, rabbits and squirrels beat me to it. Since in my community we are not allowed to put up fence I had to give up gardening.
    now I only plants herbs, already did, in small containers I keep on the porch.
    Best of luck with your plants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to have an awesome veggie garden at the last house I lived at, and I fully intend to make a new one when we move in June... this time I'm going to pot in huge planters though instead of tilling the ground... being a renter makes it tougher but I'm determined to have another garden!! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails