Friday, February 12, 2010

Cioppino-Style Dungeness Crab


Alright, I'm completely happy that today is Friday. It's been a long, tiring week, and although I still have to work tomorrow, I can deal with it because I have Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday off of work. So not too shabby right? Especially because I've got Valentine's Day covered this year. I'm planning a 3-course dinner, but I don't want to ruin the surprise of the meal, so I'll have to let you all in on it on Monday! But it's just going to be fabulous!


Ingredients:
Adapted from Bon Appetit's Jan. 2010 Issue - "Cioppino-Style Roasted Crab"

1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
6 large garlic cloves, pressed (I just bought a garlic press from IKEA this past weekend and I LOVE it!)
3/4 cup chardonnay
1/4 cup sweet white wine
2 cups bottled clam juice
2 15 oz. cans diced fire roasted tomatoes, with juice
1 cup water
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
salt and black pepper to taste
2 Dungeness crabs, cooked, cleaned and broken down

Preheat your oven to 400 F.

Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven under medium heat and add onion & garlic. Saute until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to let the garlic burn by stirring frequently.

Add both wines and bring to a boil for about 2 minutes. Add the clam juice, tomatoes w/ juice, 1 cup water, bay leaves, parsley, and red pepper. Bring this mixture to a boil as well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the crab pieces and roast, uncovered, in oven for about 15-20 minutes more. Serve in deep bowls/plates and with crunchy baguette.

Seriously, I was kind of skeptical about this recipe. I've never had crab in this way. Cioppino, itself, is an Italian fish stew of sorts, and substituting crab for the fish was just exceptional. I don't think I want to eat crab any other way, EVER! Well, maybe not ever, but this was just amazingly good. I had to drink the broth from my plate because it was so tasty and the crab was just excellent. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great recipe for Cioppino. Keep up the good work! Best to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails