Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Soup


I apologize in advance, this was supposed to be posted yesterday and in my whirlwind of studying/homework/procrastination, it seemed to have slipped my mind. Trust me, I've been banking on Friday since Sunday. This is a week I've been dreading, and it's mostly my fault. I had plenty of time to do these things, but no, I had to procrastinate. I cleaned the pantry, the fridge, the spice cabinet, the living room... all to avoid homework. Who does that?!?! That's insanity. I hate cleaning... but I dread homework. Anyway... here's a somewhat lazy soup... that I have to warn you... is pretty darn spicy, so I'd cut the hot sauce by a bit if you're not the spicy lover we are (and even we could only eat half of our bowls because of the heat).

Ingredients:

2 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks of celery, sliced
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 to 1 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce (depending on your taste)
1 cup shell pasta
blue cheese for topping

In a medium bowl, add flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken chunks and set aside.

In a dutch oven over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the chicken and set aside again.

Add remaining tablespoon of butter to pot and add vegetables. Cook until soft and translucent, about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add back in the chicken, chicken stock, hot sauce, and shells. Cook until noodles becomes soft. The longer you let it sit, the spicier it will get!

Top with blue cheese and dig on in!

This was definitely delicious, just incredible spicy. If I made it again, I would definitely only use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of hot sauce as opposed to the 1 cup. I mean, I like really spicy things, but this was sinus cleansing spicy. I did have a cold still and it did have my nose running for about 30 minutes. So if you're into that, be my guest and add the full cup! Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Peggy congrats on your engagement!!! :) What wonderful news, have you started planning the wedding? This soup looks really good I am all about the spicy, especially when it's cold outside. Great recipe and don't worry, I think we all have a little procrastinator within us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks joy! yes, definitely have a budget planned out and starting to gather ideas of little things to do, but actual date is quite far into the future (April 27th 2013) so we're definitely taking our time (we have to pay for it ourselves and we want a big bash so we're giving ourselves plenty of time lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been seeing this recipe float around lately...it looks so good! I think I am putting this on my must make this weekend!!! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything buffalo chicken - I am even going to attempt making buffalo chicken pizza on Friday!

    Love this soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The soup looks colourful and very yummy...it makes me feel hungry now...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog and I love this recipe!!!

    I may need to make this after the lenten season. Holy Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been making this soup nearly once a week since I found the recipe about a month and a half ago. I tweaked it a touch (less onion, added garlic, no celery) and I usually get a meal the day I make it and three or four out of five lunches for the week. I've also spread the link around to friends and family--almost everyone I mention it to demands the recipe. Thanks for keeping me fed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you like the soup! Definitely good stuff happening here all around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is brilliant - I am going to try it tonight!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails