Friday, April 29, 2011

Spicy Fried Rice w/ Chorizo


Happy Friday guys!  I am so elated that it's rearing up to be the weekend, that it's not even funny.  We've got a pretty jam-packed weekend planned, actually.

Tomorrow morning is the Derby Marathon & Mini.  And no.  My butt is not running in it.  I'm not that in shape yet.  I'll actually be volunteering at one of the Powerade and water stations (mile marker 10/19 for those of you that are actually running!).  The only bad thing about this is... I have to be there at 6:15am.  SIX. FIFTEEN. In the morning.  On a Saturday.  Yeah.  I'm dedicated to giving the runners their fluids.


But it won't be so bad.  I've been on a volunteering kick lately, so it'll be good to get out there and do some good.  (And I get a free t-shirt, so that's always a plus!)

And there's also a free concert (that was supposed to be by the river, but considering Waterfront Park looks pretty much like Atlantis right now, I'm positive that they'll be relocating that) on Saturday night that we plan on going to with a couple friends.  The band?  Soul Asylum.  Yeah, anybody remember that early 90's band?  Most famous for that song "Runaway Train".  Yeah, I was 7 when that came out, so no, I don't really remember that band... but since Andy is a tad bit older than I am, he remembers them clearly.  Which is also funny because he can't ever remember to take out the trash on Mondays, but yet, remembers a band from ages ago.  But I digress. 


Anyway, let's talk fried rice.  Fried rice is one of those things that I believe my mom can make the best.  She always just added in whatever we had laying around the house, and it was always amazing.  Definitely great for dinner all on it's own.  But I'm not bragging.

What I will be bragging about, is this new recipe for fried rice that may give my mom's many versions a run for her money.  It's spicy, it's filling, it's absolutely delicious.  So go ahead, try it out - you won't be disappointed!

Ingredients:
Adapted from PigPigCorner's recipe


2-3 cups leftover cooked rice (cold and day old is usually best)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
4 pieces of bacon, chopped
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 scallions (green parts only), chopped
1 large cooked chorizo sausage (or whatever meat/protein you want to add - I just had some leftover), chopped
2 tablespoons Sriracha, or other hot sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon hot water
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Soy sauce, to taste
3 eggs

In a medium bowl, mix leftover rice with the melted butter and set aside.

In a small bowl, mix together Sriracha, sugar, and hot water.  Set aside.

In a large skillet under medium high heat, fry up the bacon pieces until browned and crisp, about 6-8 minutes.  Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.  Set aside.

Drain pan of the bacon fat, leaving about 1-2 tablespoons still in the pan.  Add the diced onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

Stir in garlic and half of the scallions.  Saute for about a minute more.

Add rice to the pan and pour Sriracha mixture over top.  Mix well.  Stir fry for about 3-5 minutes, or until rice is started to "crisp" or brown.

Crack the eggs over the rice and stir to scramble throughout mixture.  Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring often.

Stir in bacon pieces and chorizo.

Season mixture with soy sauce, I think I used maybe 2-3 tablespoons and it was perfect. 

Stir in sesame oil and remaining scallions.  Serve hot and with extra Sriracha if you'd like!


This was seriously delicious.  We had this with some Red Curry Chicken Wings (recipe soon to come!) and it couldn't have been a better meal.  The best part?  We had a good amount of leftovers, and after making this on Tuesday, they're practically almost gone.  It's almost bittersweet... but then again, I could always just make some more!


How do you guys fix your fried rice?  Leftovers are always useful!

Hope you all have a great weekend and look forward to a new recipe on Monday!

22 comments:

  1. Fried rice is always my quick fix n yummy one pot meal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so simple yet incredibly delicious! I LOVE Chorizo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This spicy fried rice with chorizo sounds delicious, I will try with veggie chorizo.Enjoy your hectic weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great....for fried rice, well, I've never made it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I've only made a healthy, brown rice fried rice dish and it only came out so-so. I need to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL You are so funny when you said Andy didn't remember about trash but remember Soul Asylum! I would too! I'm so envious right now! I'd love to go... I was in Japan but I know that song (well I'm a bit older than you too...). I want to hear "Runaway Train" on live... Anyway... I totally forgot about your recipe. This looks good although I never tried Chorizo. Cute name. My husband would love this spicy fried rice (since me and kids don't eat spicy). Thanks for sharing (and ENJOY the concert (for me)!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the stuff you make. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get your url into a website in order to follow you? I mean think about it. It took me half an hour to get it right. I mean, think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to add in Chinese sausage and fried pieces of egg. Your version looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @StephenC - sorry about that (didn't think early on when I first created the blog how much of a pain that could be). You could always follow me through Feedburner/Google/Facebook/Twitter... then you wouldn't have to keep inputting the url! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks yummy! I too love to have this on lazy weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the fried rice very much. Maybe I will put some hot chilli too.. Korean love hot. *^^*

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUM! This looks so delicious! And your blog is so cute by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man this has to be bursting with flavor between the chorizo and the Sriracha. I gotta try this with soyrizo soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, you used some of my favorite flavors here! This is the perfect way to use up leftover rice. Next time I have some in my fridge, I will try your awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have fun volunteering! Getting up that early is DEFINITELY a pain...but so inspiring to see the runners!

    This fried rice looks delicious! Chorizo was definitely the perfect addition.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fried rice is the best remedy for leftover rice. My ideal fried rice is to have a good contrast and balance of flavors, a bit like in thai cuisine. I would omit using butter because Asian don't use butter :) Add some shrimp, pineapple and curry powder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes left overs are put to use in making a fried rice. i call it rice surprise since my kids will never know it until they bite into something that reminds them it was yesterdays dish haha.
    thanks for stopping by my site... glad to have come over here too!
    happy sunday,
    malou

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love dishes like this, that are simple and delicious! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The chorizo addition is genius - it looks really really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wait!!! You were seven when that song came out??? Boy do I feel old now...well, the rice looks tasty, is all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know this is a plate of delicious fried rice! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails