They were so good. They flew like hot cakes. Andy probably ate 6 in the matter of two days. Which he probably shouldn't have since he has a tux-fitting coming up this Saturday... but I digress.
Anyway, it's late, so I won't jibber-jabber any longer. Plus, I have to get up early, so I should be heading to bed! So without further ado...
Adapted from Your Cup of Cake's recipe
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
Devil's Food Cake mix
1/3 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
5 Andes mints, chopped
8 oz package cream cheese
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
neon green food coloring
Andes mints, optional - about 5 chopped and 18 whole
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with liners.
For the cupcakes: In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, oil and vanilla extract together. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well in between each addition.
3. Alternate adding the cake mix and liquids (buttermilk and water), starting and ending with the cake mix.
4. Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack to cool slightly.
5. Chocolate Mint Filling: Melt chocolate chips, 5 Andes mints, and heavy cream together in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Mine melted quickly, no more than 1 minute.
6. Place filling in a squeeze bottle and insert into middle of cupcakes, filling with desired amount (about 1-2 teaspoons per cupcake).
Green Buttercream: Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, heavy cream beat well. Add a few drops of green food coloring (I think I did about 8-10) and stir well.
8. Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes and top with extra Chocolate Mint Filling and an Andes Mint.
Have a great (what's left of) Wednesday guys! And don't forget that the CSA round up is tomorrow, so there's still time to send me your local produce pictures @ firstname.lastname@example.org! I'll post it sometime tomorrow afternoon (maybe evening because I have a softball game at 6:30). See you guys tomorrow!