Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Andes Mint Cupcakes

Okay, so these weren't the winner of last Friday's poll... but seriously.  I just had to make them.  I mean, Andy.  Andes Mint.  They were meant to be.  Right?  So don't fret, the winner of the poll was something "bourbon-flavored" - and it will come soon enough.  But right now, we're talking about these cupcakes.

They were so good.  They flew like hot cakes.  Andy probably ate 6 in the matter of two days.  Which he probably shouldn't have since he has a tux-fitting coming up this Saturday... but I digress.

Anyway, it's late, so I won't jibber-jabber any longer.  Plus, I have to get up early, so I should be heading to bed!  So without further ado...

Ingredients:
Adapted from Your Cup of Cake's recipe




Cupcake:


1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
Devil's Food Cake mix


Chocolate FIlling:

1/3 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
5 Andes mints, chopped


Buttercream Frosting:


8 oz package cream cheese
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
neon green food coloring

Andes mints, optional - about 5 chopped and 18 whole

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pans with liners.

For the cupcakes: In a medium bowl, mix sour cream, oil and vanilla extract together.  Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well in between each addition.  

3.    Alternate adding the cake mix and liquids (buttermilk and water), starting and ending with the cake mix.  
 
4.    Fill liners 2/3 full and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Place on a cooling rack to cool slightly.

5.    Chocolate Mint Filling:  Melt chocolate chips, 5 Andes mints, and heavy cream together in the microwave in 30 second intervals.  Mine melted quickly, no more than 1 minute.  
 
6.   Place filling in a squeeze bottle and insert into middle of cupcakes, filling with desired amount (about 1-2 teaspoons per cupcake).

     Green Buttercream:  Beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.  Add powdered sugar, heavy cream beat well.  Add a few drops of green food coloring (I think I did about 8-10) and stir well.
 
8.   Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes and top with extra Chocolate Mint Filling and an Andes Mint.



So silly me couldn't find any peppermint extract anywhere this weekend.  So I kind of improvised on this one - I'm sure it would have been extra special with the added mint flavor, but we didn't seem to mind =)  I mean, seriously - look how happy Andy is!


Have a great (what's left of) Wednesday guys!  And don't forget that the CSA round up is tomorrow, so there's still time to send me your local produce pictures @ mtlabor85@yahoo.com!  I'll post it sometime tomorrow afternoon (maybe evening because I have a softball game at 6:30).  See you guys tomorrow!
 

42 comments:

  1. These look incredible! Tuxedo fitting or not...I would have scarfed some, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so mint-y ;) and yummy... Would love to have a big bite..

    ReplyDelete
  3. these cupcakes look delicious Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm these cupcakes look soo delicious and decadent, love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good! I wish I could just snatch it out of the computer. I need one, right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cuppies looks delicious especially the topping. Yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those are my very favourite chocolates! I love to melt them and dip preztels in them. Yum. Your cupcakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cupcakes remind me of grade school when I always brought Andes mints as a Christmas gift for my teachers. I think I'd like them in a yummy cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Peggy, great idea using the mint inside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! Yes, Andy looks so happy and I will be if I have this with me! Looks delicious Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect cupcakes! It's always nice to make something the bf/fiancee/hubby likes. Hope he saved some for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband would eat 6 in 2 hours! He lives mint chocolate! I love your fiancé chewing down on your lively creation!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look really good - I LOVE mint :-)

    /Birthe

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha Andes for Andy! I love it. And I love anything mint chocolate. These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andes Candies in anything will get my vote-especially something chocolate! That picture of Andy says it all yum-buzz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now you are speaking my language. An ande's cupcake- how genius of you! Oh I wish I had one now- i can't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Ande's mints...and in a cupcake?...genius, and oh, so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG. This is PERFECT. I was intending to look for a recipe for a dessert to bring to a BBQ this weekend, and Max's FAVORITE food in the whole wide world is Andes Mints. I mean, seriously, I bought him six boxes for Valentine's Day (we're cheap around these parts) and they were gone in five days. Yeaah.

    YAY! SO excited to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think it is not a very difficult recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love going to Olive Garden for dinner just because I know they are going to give me some Ande's Mints after we fork over the money. Haha! These cupcakes look delicious. I will need to try these sometime. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. They sure look like winner and I can see your fiancé agrees!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  22. These cute cupcakes look beautiful and yummy! Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Memories memories memories! Yes definitely meant to be ;) Glad you made them! You know what my favorite part is? That you garnished the cupcake with an entire andes mint!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are great pics. LOL! The cupcakes look tasty and too cute. Which lets face it, it's all about the cute factor. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh how yummy! I can't remember the last time I had an andes mint but I always loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, this does happen to be what I voted for...so YES! Looks sooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. ha!.... these are some awesome cupcakes, and it looks like Andy really thinks so too........of course, a little bourbon never hurt nobody either....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my... I wish I was him!! He looks satisfied! :) Beautiful cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would so tackle these. ;) Love that chocolate and mint mix. Worth every extra step on the treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Andy has the same look as my husband when he is having a nice, yummy choc cake! So indulgent!

    ReplyDelete
  31. nom... nom... nom. This is on my weekend to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Andes Mints are my favorites! I'm going to have to figure this out from scratch since I'm trying to stay away from mixes. I love a challenge! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cupcakes look delicious. Love the pictures too ..

    Following you ..

    Vardhini
    Event: Fast food not Fat food

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow - these look incredible! What a great recipe - will definitely be making these.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fabulous cupcakes, Peggy! I love anything with mint, but my husband doesn't. More for me then! :D Thanks for sharing! Love the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congrats on Top 9! These look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  37. WOWZA! And I love the eating action shots at the end of the post! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  38. I can totally see how these would fly off the table!

    ReplyDelete
  39. oh yum! just wonderfully YUM, I think I'd like these for breakfast!
    Leila

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love doctored up cake mixes and these sound heavenly, Andes are some of my favorite candies! I just found your blog and I love it, congrats on the engagement. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails