Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Quick Stir Fry & CSA Pick Up #1


Ok, seriously. I would have never dreamed of being as excited about vegetables as I am right now. Today was our first CSA pick up, and I feel like it's Christmas. Why have we not done this before now?! Why doesn't the general public know more about these?! I guess that's the beauty of it, it's not commercialized and it's used by people who really care for and appreciate it. I feel lucky. I mean, look at our goods for this week...

This is what we ended up with...

2 lbs. potatoes
1 lb. beets
one bunch of basil (this is more basil than I know what to do with in one week)
a multi-colored array of cute little cherry tomatoes
one sweet beauty watermelon
one head of garlic

You better believe I'll be making use out of these in the next week, until the next batch of goodies comes along! My task for this week, according to Andy, is to get him to like beets (because as of right now, he's not too big of a fan)... any suggestions/recipes you guys know of to make him a converter???

And I don't have much time because I've actually got a volleyball tournament tonight so I'll make this a quick stir fry recipe...

Ingredients:

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into strips
1 bottle Caribbean Jerk marinade
2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece of ginger, grated
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
2 small yellow squash, sliced
1 onion, sliced thinly
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
juice from 1 lime

In a medium bowl, combine chicken and marinade. Let sit in fridge for about 30 minutes.

In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter under medium high heat, and add the garlic and ginger. Stir until fragrant and then add in the chicken pieces. Heat chicken until cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover.

Heat remaining tablespoon of butter and add carrot, squash, bell pepper, and onion. Stir fry for about 5 minutes, you want the vegetables softened a little, but still with a crunch/bite to them.

Stir back in the chicken, add lime juice, and stir fry for about 2 minutes longer.

We served this with some simple red rice.

This was absolutely delicious. The vegetables were plentiful and the chicken was flavorful. The shortcut of using a pre-made marinade cuts down on time when you're in need of a quick fix. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Peggy! What a beautiful collection of fruits and vegetables. I'm jealous! I wanted to join a CSA this summer, but since we are in the process of moving, I decided to wait till the fall. I hope you enjoy this bounty, and I'm excited to see all of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails