Friday, July 23, 2010

New Potatoes


As our vacation is rapidly coming to a close, it always seems like the weeks away from work, school, other obligations, etc... are the ones that go the quickest.

Such a sad fact of life, but one we all have to live with. I guess it really rings true that "time flies when you're having fun".


Fun is definitely what we've been having. (FYI, this is totally Andy's first ever blog appearance! I figure he might as well be put on here, because the blog is basically about him, kinda sorta!)

Andy and I have been getting to spend a lot of time with eachother, without having to work around our differing work/school schedules. Yesterday we went down to Slade, KY and visited Red River Gorge.

It's absolutely beautiful down there. And we almost didn't get there. Andy decided that he would try to remember how to get there without a map, and let's take into consideration he hadn't been down to the Gorge in about 10+ years.

Yeah, you can see where this is going. We ended up taking an exit nowhere near where we were supposed to be, which led us to taking an impromptu tour of the Kentucky amish and redneck country for about 45 minutes before we ended up back on the highway. Yeah... I was not amused.

But through hell and high water, we arrived at our destination, later than we had hoped, but still in one piece and without any reenactment of the movie Wrong Turn.

Albeit, I'm not a very outdoorsy kind of person, but I enjoyed myself. We went hiking (and I'm very surprised I'm not sore all over today), sightseeing, took pictures of various things, etc.

It was a good trip and I wish we could have the time to do more of that kind of stuff with each other, but for right now, we'll take it when we can.


Here's just a simple new/red potato recipe for today... we've got tons of potatoes coming in every week in our CSA, so I've been trying to figure out ways of using them up!


Ingredients:

5 new potatoes, scrubbed
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon butter, quartered
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 F.

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients until well coated. Transfer to a roasting dish and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

Serve whole, mashed, sliced, however you like your potato. I prefer to eat them slowly while they are whole.

With simple ingredients, simple technique, this dish is definitely full of flavor and an easy side to whip up on a busy day! Enjoy and have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. You are so cute Peggy! I loved seeing the pictures of your outdoor adventure. And I love the simplicity of these potatoes. I need more recipes like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm craving potatoes lately... I will have to try these!
    Your vacation looks wonderful! My husband spent the day in Louisville yesterday and was melting by noon. We would love to have some of your sunny weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the name of your blog. man, roasted potatoes sound like a distant memory to me right now because i wouldn't dare heat up my kitchen with the heat we've been having.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a simple and tasty recipe! Thanks for the post. I really need to see if there is a CSA in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like you had a lot of fun :) hehehe. love the recipe!


    PS: Have a lovely weekend!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails