Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Spiced Chicken w/ Pepper Rajas


So, I'm deeming today pity party Tuesday. Why, you ask? Well... I found out some pretty discouraging news yesterday. I don't know if you all remember, but I applied for pharmacy school back in October. Well, I finally heard back yesterday. And guess what. I DIDNT GET IN. Of course, they gave me the old speech about how, the class of 2014 is filled up, but I could reactivate my application for next year to have a chance to be in the class of 2015. Well, that's not what I want to hear. There's always next year is a cliche response. And yes, I believe there IS always next year, but the fact of the matter is... this was something I really wanted. Something I still want, but really wanted for myself, for this year. To get on the right track to finish something.
I mean, the more I think of it, the more I depress myself. But it's constantly been on my mind since I got that blasted e-mail last night. I seriously can't hold back the tears. It makes me think of what I did wrong or how I could have been better. Was my GPA not high enough? Did I send my application too late (even though it was 2 & 1/2 months before the deadline)? Did I just not stand out? Did my personal essay just suck?
It's not like someone died. It's not like my life is over. But it really feels like I'm a 2 year old who just had their favorite Barbie snatched away from them and then had somebody run over it, so I could never play with it again. Damn life.
Phew. Now that I've bored you with my bitter, cynical rant... I guess you guys want a recipe. On a lighter note, I love the flavors and colors of this dish. They make me smile. There, I said something positive.

Ingredients:
Adapted from Bon Appetit January 2010 "Spiced Chicken Breasts w/ Poblano & Bell Pepper Rajas"

1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3-4 chicken breasts, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
1 poblano pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
1 onion, sliced thinly
juice from 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste

Mix the coriander and cumin in a small bowl. Sprinkle the chicken slices with half of the mixture and set the other half aside. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper also.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet under medium high heat. Add all 3 peppers and onions. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 7-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to medium bowl and set aside.


Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same skillet and add chicken. Cover and let cook through, about 7 minutes per side.

When chicken is white throughout, push to 1 side of skillet and add pepper mixture back into skillet. Season the peppers with the remaining coriander/cumin mixture and lime juice. Heat everything through, about 2-3 more minutes. You can either mix everything together or serve peppers alongside chicken separately.

I chose to mix everything together and serve it alongside rice. It was pretty tasty and definitely on the healthy low-calorie side. This would even be great as like a fajita mixture. Enjoy!

P.S. Sorry to bum you all out, but I've just been a little down on life. Trust me though, I am going to apply to more schools next year and not give up. It's just heartbreaking to hear bad news of any kind, you know?

14 comments:

  1. this sounds so tasty, love all the flavors and peppers - gotta be outstanding

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice contrast of flavours. Love the colours and simplicity of it. And on a positive note, never give up. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks guys! and trust me, won't give up, just will whine and sulk for a little while lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear that. Pharm school is so tough to get into, or so I've heard. Hang in there. It just means there is another plan for you. It will come your way soon, no doubt. This dish looks delicious by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm looks like a healthy balanced meal peggy! :) thanks for visiting The Sugar Bar. was so lovely to see your comment. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about the news-- I've been in that boat before. I could write something about one door closing means another one opens (or whatever that quote is) to try and make you feel better, but instead I will tell you how great that dish looks!

    In all seriousness, though,-- 'this, too, shall pass' :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear MyBfLikesIt, your nick name is so cool! He is one lucky guy to have you making his favorite food, or soon to be favorite, if it is something new! I am starting to do the same for mine and he loves it! Oh, and dont let it get you down about not getting into the pharmacy school, regardless of what others say, that is one tough career you chose and part of the learning process is never accepting failure. You will get in, so enjoy this time before you start to spend all your time studying and working in the hardest place ever...a pharmacy! Just so you know...this site was such a pleasure to visit. Well presented, clean, clear and beautiful photos. I shall be returning for another delicious bite. Thank you for sharing,
    Cheers, Gaby
    You can visit me at http://ptsaldari.posterous.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you guys so much for all the words of encouragement! It's been a tough couple of days, but you all are right, this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love peppers, so colorful and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks absolutely delicious AND beautiful. Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog through twitter, and I love it! What a cool idea. I did something similar with starting a food blog because I love to cook for my husband.

    sorry to read about your bad news :( but i also saw your good news on twitter, so congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about pharmacy school, but hey, sounds like your boyfriend was able to cheer you up!

    So will there be a name change for the blog? Maybe put 'new domain name' on the wedding registry. MyHBlikesitsoimbg.com!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just discovered your website through tweets, and I really like it! What a awesome concept. I did something identical with beginning a food weblog because I really like to prepare for my spouse. buy rs gold

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your web page through twitter posts, and I really like it! What a amazing idea. I did something similar with starting a meals blog site runescape gold
    Final Fantasy XIV Gil

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails