Saturday, December 12, 2009

Pulled Pork Tacos


It's been a rough two days. It definitely seems like one of those "when it rains, it pours" couple of days. My car has been acting stupid. I had to replace the battery the other day, and it still is kind of shaky, so I'm fearing it's on it's last leg. And to top it off I woke up this morning to Andy telling me I had a flat tire. Bah Humbug! I don't have time for this stuff. I've got cooking, baking, shopping, and plenty of other things to do. Ugh... anyway, now that I'm done venting... here's this delicious recipe for pulled pork tacos, adapted from Life's Ambrosia's blog

Ingredients:

2.5 lb pork shoulder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup beef stock
2 small avocados, pitted
1/4 cup sour cream
1 lime, cut in half
1 tablespoon cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
1 jalapeno, sliced and seeded
soft tortillas
mexican cheese blend
shredded lettuce
1 tomato, diced

Place first 7 ingredients in crock pot (yep, CROCKPOT!) and heat on low for 7-8 hours. Pork should be falling apart as you touch it, so shredding should be a breeze. Salt and pepper to taste and let simmer on warm while you prep the toppings.

Everything else requires pretty much no actual "cooking", but is crucial to the flavors of the taco.

The avocado cream is just heavenly, and so simple! In a food processor, combine the avocados, sour cream, juice from 1/2 of the lime (I used the other half of the lime juice to add a little zing to the pork, but that's optional), and cilantro. Process on low for about 30 seconds and voila... avocado cream.

All of the other toppings should be self explanatory and you could even improvise and put whatever you'd like on there!

This was great. The pork was amazing and the avocado cream added another dimension of flavor along with the fresh vegetables. This was just delicious and pretty much maintenance free. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. hi peggy,
    the slow cooker does turn out the best, moistest carnitas! . . . try making your own tortillas . . . there's no comparison between homemade ones and store bought ones!
    http://eatwithaspoon.blogspot.com/2009/08/homemade-tortillas.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pulled pork tacos. Havent made them in a while. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmm, looks great. I want to try that avocado cream. This reminds me [as well] that I need to make pulled pork again soon. I like to let the spices soak in overnight and throw it in the crock pot before work :)

    .:Kieran

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails