Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Chicken Teriyaki With Garlic Noodles


Yes, I'm Asian. That's pretty obvious. I've only made chicken teriyaki once. I found a new recipe on it, that I tweaked a tad and turned out that Andy really enjoyed it. He couldn't stop raving about how good the kitchen smelled and how good the chicken tasted, so it looks like this one is a keeper. Found the basis for this recipe from the blog Imperrfections.

Chicken Teriyaki Ingredients:

2 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup sake (I really think this is the magic ingredient)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
salt to taste

The one thing that I switched up from Imperrfection's recipe was the sake.

The previous teriyaki recipe I used had sake in it, and I really think it balanced out the sweetness factor from the sugar so I toned down the vinegar and added the sake. And don't hesitate to do some sake bombs at any given moment. Makes the cooking process even more fun!

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Line a roasting pan with foil. Salt and pepper chicken strips and add to pan with foil.


Whisk together the cornstarch and water in a saucepan. I think cornstarch is like a miracle ingredient sometimes. Instantly thickens things and is a way cool science experiment when used in a matter of ways. But I'm not here to talk about science, it's all about the chicken right now.

Add rest of ingredients and bring to a simmer. Stir often until sauce is thickened. You'll be able to tell right away because the sauce will start to "bubble in slow motion." You'll know what I mean.

Pour sauce over chicken and mix so it coats the pieces evenly.

Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Garlic Noodles Ingredients:

1/2 box penne pasta
1/4 box linguini
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 green onions, chopped
2 & 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar

I pretty much followed this recipe to the tee, except I used a different pasta(s). Mainly because it was in my cupboard and why go out and buy more pasta when I've already got an assortment? Right? Right.

Cook pasta according to package directions until you get it al dente. Drain and set aside.

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in large skillet. Add garlic and onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.

Add fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Mix until sugar is dissolved. Toss in pasta and mix until evenly coated with sauce. Serve with teriyaki.


This was quick, easy, and absolutely delicious! Great for a busy weeknight meal. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails